• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turkey Stuffing / Dressing

awbrig

What's the consensus on eggs in the stuffing as a binder? I never do it, but I read an article the other day that implied that was standard technique. Do you all put an egg or two in there to hold things together, sort of like a bread pudding?

I just ran a series of tests on bread stuffing. Eggs are unnecessary, and if the edges of the pan get too hot, you see chunks of egg white, even with a really small amount. Tasters could taste 'egginess' with as little as 1 egg white to a pint of liquid with about 2 pints of croutons.

I think that it's just stuffings which don't have any gluten (like cornbread or rice) that need eggs.

• Like 2

I just ran a series of tests on bread stuffing. Eggs are unnecessary, and if the edges of the pan get too hot, you see chunks of egg white, even with a really small amount. Tasters could taste 'egginess' with as little as 1 egg white to a pint of liquid with about 2 pints of croutons.

I think that it's just stuffings which don't have any gluten (like cornbread or rice) that need eggs.

Did your tasters find the "egginess" objectionable? Since I made the comment you quote I've made stuffing both ways, with and without eggs, and while I prefer it without, I didn't find anything terribly objectionable about the eggs. I add them to the stock and blend, so I've never had an issue with chunks of egg white.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I think adding them to the stock and then blending them is different than adding them to the stuffing

Per se

[ ed.:  nice, very nice ! ]

once they are blended, they are quite a bit different than cooked and added.

I also do not add eggs.

except water poached on the planned stuffing extras  the next day and for as many days as I can manage.