• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Small list of Rums, your thoughts and reflections.

OliT

I'm looking for new experiences in drinking rum, and wanted to get some feedback on what to try and what to stay away from, this is the list of rums that I have to choose from, which ones would you recommend that I try, in this case for straight up drinking. Thanks a lot for your assistance!

Angostura 1919 Rum 8 Years

Angostura Gold Rum 4 Years

Appleton Estate Extra

Appleton Estate VX

Bacardi 8 años

Bacardi Oro

Conde de Cuba

Cruzan Single Barrel Rum

Cruzan Estate Diamond Rum 5 Years

Cruzan Estate Dark Rum 2 Years

El Dorado 5 Years

El Dorado Special Reserve 21 Years Old

El Dorado 12 Years

El Dorado 15 Years

Flor de Caña 12 Years Centenario

Flor de Caña 4 Years Gold

Gran Reserva Ron Anejo

Havana Club Añejo Especial

Marquis Rum Dark

Mount Ga

Mount Gay Rum Extra Old

Negrita 8 Years

Old Port Rum

Saint James Vieux Rhum Hors d'Age

Saint James Rhum Vieux Agricole

Bacardi Black

Barracuda Rum Golde

Bristol Classic Rum Reserve Rum of Nicaragua

Bristol Classic Rum Gardel 10 Years

Bristol Classic Rum Port Morant Still 12 Years

Bristol Classic Rum Long Pond 16 Years

Bristol Classic Rum The Versailles Still 16 Years

Bristol Classic Rum Rockley Still 16 Years

Captain Morgan Black Label

Cockspur Fine Rum

El Dorado

J Bally 1993

Negrita

Rhum Barbancourt 4 Year

Rum Plantation Trinidad 1993

Rum Plantation Guyana 1990

Rum Plantation Barbados 1993

Rum Plantation Grande Reserve Barbados

Trois Rivières 10 ans

Western Pearl

I wouldn't consider 45 to be a small list. Of course there is something for everyone on that list. Are you looking to sip something after dinner, or mix something cheap for a bar? If this is available in your local store, you're in a pretty good place for rum.

I'd discount Negrita for drinking, it's used for cooking in France.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I wouldn't consider 45 to be a small list. Of course there is something for everyone on that list. Are you looking to sip something after dinner, or mix something cheap for a bar? If this is available in your local store, you're in a pretty good place for rum.

I'd discount Negrita for drinking, it's used for cooking in France.

Well, the reason for the list as such is that the dealership in Sweden is government controlled, alcohol monopoly, and for that to work they have to have a rather decent list to order from, which would be the top part, the bottom part is the general stock, always available. The product I'm looking for is definatley a straight up drinker, fit for several situations, although not primarily as a digestif.

Uh, in Finland (just across the bay), we also have a government controlled alcohol monopoly, but our selection of rum is worse that the one you list up there.

Perhaps I should visit your beautiful country more often... ;)

BTW: How do you find the Angostura 1919? We just got it in our selections and I ordered a bottle to try, but haven't had an occasion to open it yet...

I would choose one that isn't on your list and surprisingly so... Ron Barrilito. Despite the fact that Ron Bacardi is a Puerto Rican rum, (with Cuban origins, of course) it is not the most popular rum on the island. Many Puerto Ricans prefer Don Q and definitely, Ron Barrilito which is produced in small quantities. Whenever I visit the States, my friends beg me to take bottles to them because apparently it is hard to find over there.

The product I'm looking for is definatley a straight up drinker, fit for several situations, although not primarily as a digestif.

From the bottom of the list I'd go for Barbancourt 4 year old as something to sip, or the Barbados Plantation Rum, which is one of the best of the Plantation portfolio.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

• 2 weeks later...

I would toss out the Mount Gay and Captain Morgan as good sipping rums, but others may have differing opinions. If you can find Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 year old it very well might be the best sipping rum on your list (if it was on your list, that is).

I agree with most of the suggestions here, although in my opinion the Mount Gay Extra Old makes a good sipping rum.

You should also consider the Cruzan Single Barrel. I find it incredibly smooth and well-balanced. Someone once called this a "Comfort rum" and I find that a simple and true description. Plus, you gotta love the bottle and label design :smile:

Thanks Soren...I'll head out to the liquor store today and see if I can find some Cruzan Single Barrel rum. Okay, I'll give Mount Gay Extra Old a try too!

A friend of mine's favorite drink is Capt. Morgan Spiced rum and Dr. Pepper!!! How utterly rude is that?

Thanks Soren...I'll head out to the liquor store today and see if I can find some Cruzan Single Barrel rum. Okay, I'll give Mount Gay Extra Old a try too!

Look for Barbancourt 5-star Reserve Speciale as well, it's an amazing sipping rum IMHO. May be harder to find though due to the unrest in Haiti (at least that is the case in Europe).

A friend of mine's favorite drink is Capt. Morgan Spiced rum and Dr. Pepper!!! How utterly rude is that?

I recently attended a rum tasting event where the first thing served was Capt. Morgan Spiced & Coke. I almost walked out! - glad I didnt though as some pretty good rums followed (without Coke ofc) :smile:

I enjoy both Appleton's. The Extra is 21year aged befor bottling, the VX 9 years(?). Biased opinion, I learned to love them when I got married in Jamaica. My unopened bottle of Extra is nearly 26 years old now, don't know how the extended aging is affecting it, need a good reason to break the seal.

Edited by POLKEDOT (log)

"Be a simple kind of man. - ronnie vanzant

I enjoy both Appleton's.  The Extra is 21year aged befor bottling, the VX 9 years(?). Biased opinion, I learned to love them when I got married in Jamaica. My unopened bottle of Extra is nearly 26 years old now, don't know how the extended aging is affecting it, need a good reason to break the seal.

Sorry, rechecked my cabinet, Extra is 12 year aged( seal broken), 21 year is a different rum( seal still unbroken). Need to drink more often ! :raz: Edited by POLKEDOT (log)

"Be a simple kind of man. - ronnie vanzant

I enjoy both Appleton's.  The Extra is 21year aged befor bottling, the VX 9 years(?). Biased opinion, I learned to love them when I got married in Jamaica. My unopened bottle of Extra is nearly 26 years old now, don't know how the extended aging is affecting it, need a good reason to break the seal.

Spirits don't age in the bottle, so Crack it. :biggrin:

VX is, as I understand it, a blending of 5 year (V) and 10 year (X) rums. Obviously it is mostly 5 year based on its price and flavor profile. VX is my "go to rum" for most of my general mixing needs.

As LunaSea suggested, I would throw out Captain Morgan (my worst tasting experiences) and Bacardi (too unbalanced). Mount Gay Extra Old is good, but I find that Cruzan Single Barrel is better as it is more balanced and has softer oak and a sweeter taste.

(I only use Captian Morgan and Bacardi for cooking if anything.)

Whit

I agree with most of the suggestions here, although in my opinion the Mount Gay Extra Old makes a good sipping rum.

You should also consider the Cruzan Single Barrel. I find it incredibly smooth and well-balanced. Someone once called this a "Comfort rum" and I find that a simple and true description. Plus, you gotta love the bottle and label design  :smile:

I suggest you to include Zacapa Centenario from Guatemala. The 23 years & the X.O. are great. There is also a 15 years edition which is also nice.

Since my area (East coast of Malaga, Spain) has been a traditional sugar cane producer, we have had some rum production. In fact there is a small distillery called Montero (Motril, Granada) with a great Gran Reserva.

Edited by podolski (log)

Hay tiendas en Madrid, Toledo, or el Norte (Galicia, Asturias, Pais Vasco) que tiene el ron de Montero? (Are there shops/stores in Madrid, Toledo, or the North that carry the rum from Montero) Any stores in the US especially DC, MD, or VA?

I suggest you to include Zacapa Centenario from Guatemala. The 23 years & the X.O. are great. There is also a 15 years edition which is also nice.

Since my area (East coast of Malaga, Spain) has been a traditional sugar cane producer, we have had some rum production. In fact there is a small distillery called Montero (Motril, Granada) with a great Gran Reserva.

Are there shops/stores in Madrid, Toledo, or the North that carry the rum from Montero?Any stores in the US especially DC, MD, or VA? 

I've no idea. But Montero is becoming very popular in some places in Spain... They do produce a pale rum called "pálido" too. Let me check with them...

Sl2

Podolski...I continue to try different rums from various parts of the world, but the 23-year old Ron Zacapa Centenario remains my favorite rum of those that I can purchase locally. It's about $40 a bottle here in Florida. Of course, when my wife travels to the Caribbean island of Anguilla and buys me a bottle of Pyrat Cask 23 direct from the factory for $185, I put all of my other rums aside until I've sipped every last luscious drop from the bottle...which usually takes a couple of weekends!!!

My local liquor store started carrying the 15-year old Zacapa Centenario so I'll have to give that one a try.

If you love Ron Zacapa Centenario, you owe it to yourself to try Santa Teresa 1796 Antiguo de Solera. As big as the rum market in Florida may be, there are still a number of very good rums which aren't sold there yet, due to the problems of distribution.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

If you love Ron Zacapa Centenario, you owe it to yourself to try Santa Teresa 1796 Antiguo de Solera. As big as the rum market in Florida may be, there are still a number of very good rums which aren't sold there yet, due to the problems of distribution.

That one is a nice Venezuelan pick.... Have you tried the Santa Teresa Selecto?. It's being bottled with a cute shape (same style as the new Bols Creams).

Rum is very popular right now here and Spain is the European gateway for it... So the portfolio is growing fast!!!

If you love Ron Zacapa Centenario, you owe it to yourself to try Santa Teresa 1796 Antiguo de Solera.

I have to agree with this. And if you can't find that one you could try another very tasty Venezuela rum in Ron Pampero Aniversario. It is a significant step down from the 1796 but still quite good.

1796  to me is a very sophisticated rum. The flavours seem more 'natural' to me than Zacapa. Hence I bought another bottle last week..

I hadn't thought about it that way before. You may be right. I'll have to do another side by side with that in mind. However, for my tastes, the Ron Zacapa Centenario the tastier of the two. It's close though. Hence I plan on keeping both around for some time. :biggrin:

Also, the Zacapa is on sale for 20 bucks at Hitime wines in Costa Mesa, CA right now. So... You know... as far a santa knows..... I've been a very good boy. :rolleyes: