• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SoSodo dining

Our office is moving waaaaay down into the deepest Sodo, near Spokane St. I've been charged with coming up with a neighborhood guide to food and fun places. To me, this is, well, a bit of a black hole, as I've only ever been to Esquin and Costco. Help! Please give me your reccommendations for anything remotely edible from 1st ave So to 6th, between Holgate and Spokane St. Unfortunately, Salumi and the ID don't count :angry:

Many thanks in advance!

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

My first job in Seattle was in a little warehouse to the left and behind Pecos Barbecue on First. As good as the food was, smelling it cook every morning grew tired and that stuff is exhaustingly hot and spicy. There was (is?) a public cafeteria in the Sodo building a couple floors up we would escape to. Alternatively a zip south into Georgetown (usually quickest by Airport Way, but watch out for the speed trap) and I would goto Maruta Obento Japanese grocery for the best premade sushi in Seattle, better than many a restaurant.

Edited by ladybugseattle (log)

Also in Georgetown, should you choose to include it, Two Tartes Bakery and Stellar Pizza. Both open for lunch and both very good.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Talk about synchronicity, I was driving through that area on the way home from the Costco just yesterday & wondering the same thing: where do people eat down there if they don't want to patronize Burger King, Jack in the Box or (God forbid!) Andy's Diner?

I remember there used to be good Korean BBQ on 4th ave So in the little strip with the Copy King and the Donut shop. (just north of the West Seattle Fwy) sorry I don't recall the name, but I think it's still there...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Thanks for the tips, Pleeeeease keep them coming! I'm afraid that my list will have to include the fast food joints! Food Hell!!!!!

The restrictions made Georgetown verboten, ..."within walking distance"....but I think it's going to have to sneak on there, as well as West Seattle, as it's an easy hop across the bridge.

I know that one of my reccommendations for the staff will be brown bagging their lunches! :wacko:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

Thanks for the tips, Pleeeeease keep them coming! I'm afraid that my list will have to include the fast food joints! Food Hell!!!!!

The restrictions made Georgetown verboten, ..."within walking distance"....but I think it's going to have to sneak on there, as well as West Seattle, as it's an easy hop across the bridge.

I know that one of my reccommendations for the staff will be brown bagging their lunches!  :wacko:

Don't forget Kolbeh, which used to be open for lunch at least. Great Persian food that I hope is still there. Much expanded in recent years with dancing etc. at night. Try any of the dishes with the ground walnut + pomegranite sauce, or the barberry rice, or pretty much anything, really.

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.

Our office is moving waaaaay down into the deepest Sodo, near Spokane St. I've been charged with coming up with a neighborhood guide to food and fun places. To me, this is, well, a bit of a black hole, as I've only ever been to Esquin and Costco. Help!

Is there something wrong with going to Esquin for lunch?! :biggrin:

Born Free, Now Expensive

Our office is moving waaaaay down into the deepest Sodo, near Spokane St. I've been charged with coming up with a neighborhood guide to food and fun places. To me, this is, well, a bit of a black hole, as I've only ever been to Esquin and Costco. Help!

Is there something wrong with going to Esquin for lunch?! :biggrin:

Absolutely nothing! Although it does seem that SoDo comestibles seem to mainly involve BBQ and Vino. Now, if my Boss doesn't notice the spicy booze breath, we'll all be just fine... :biggrin:

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. Andy's Diner scared the hell outta me, but thank goodess I'd already enjoyed a fine lunch at Pig Iron BBQ. Pho Cyclo was Packed, with diners everywhere slurping down to the last drop (a good sign, I think). Haven't been to Kolbeh, but it's on the list.

And if I may make a non food related comment, check out Marenakos at First S and Horton. This company sells stone to garden and house designers, but this is where they show what an artist can do with stone. There's an area with examples of stone in the garden, and a lovely little gallery of stone sculpture. Worth a detour when you're on that Costco trip.

Edited by lala (log)