• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rumona by Wray & Nephew

dsoneil

I stopped by my local liquor store (LCBO) and noticed a bottle of Rumona Rum Liqueur from Jamaica. I've never heard of it before, but I figured it would be good in something.

After looking it up, it seems it is rarely exported, and there is not a lot of information about it. It is very sweet and has 31% alcohol, so it actually reminds me of Drambuie.

The first thought was to make a Rum "Rusty Nail". So I took 2 parts Havana Club 7 Year Old Rum and mixed it with 1 part Rumona over ice. It turned out amazingly good, very smooth and not to sweet. This might actually replace the Rusty Nail on my favorite cocktails list!

Does anyone else have any experience with this rum liqueur?

Darcy S. O'Neil

Chemist | Bartender | Writer

Book: Fix the Pumps

I've only drunk Rumona straight and never thought of mixing it with something I sip neat like Havana Club, though the 7 year old is more of mixing rum for me.

For mixing I usually use Havana Club Anejo Reserva, but I didn't have any. But I also use Macallan 10 year old Scotch in my Rusty Nails. Better ingedients, better drink!

I suppose Rumona could be used where Drambuie is used. Simply switch out the Whisky for Rum and we have a whole new list of cocktails. At least it gives me options.

Darcy S. O'Neil

Chemist | Bartender | Writer

Book: Fix the Pumps

Never tried it, but if I find some I will definitely buy a bottle.

Currently my favorite Rum liqueur is Rum Jumbie, from St. Maarten. It sounds like this Rumona stuff sounds pretty similar. The totally non-PC bottle absolutely kills me, though.

http://www.rumjumbie.com/rumjumbieliquer.html

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host