• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

demi-glace gold

rexreed

Has anyone heard of or used this product? It's manufactured by "More than Gourmet" and I've read good things. James Peterson swears by it and Scott Connant, in his new book, recommends it as well. Making veal and roasted chicken reductions at home are time consuming, and can be expensive for such little end result quantity.

www.morethangourmet.com/

You found my secret! I have both Juice de Poulet Gold and Demi Gold in my fridge at all times. A beautifully easy way to add the true stock flavor without all the work. I honestly don't have the space in my freezer for my own stock so this is great. Just add a little hot water to reconstitute it or add a bit to your sauce to punch up the flavor. The Demi Gold is very nice in my reduction sauces.

Count me interested. Here is their web site. Where do you buy this stuff?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

organic gluten free bernaise sauce mix.

Good God. There's a mix?????? Really? Gawd, there are whole sections of supermarkets that I never go into...and now I know why.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Whole Foods for one. I saw it today as I was helping a customer look for organic gluten free bernaise sauce mix.

Why would a bernaise sauce contain gluten? :wacko:

it seems that there is a bit of an urban myth going on amongst celiacs... or maybe not. apparently, some think that some form of gluten is involved in vinegar, a key ingredient of hollandiase, bearnaise, etc. who knows. i dated a girl who was gluten-intolerant once, and beyond gluten in it's usual forms (i.e. breads, pasta, whatever), there were certain wheat-involved foods that she could not stomach, regardless of whether or not gluten could have formed in its preparation. it's a complicated allergy, and it's hard to find a place to eat out that is truly able to skirt gluten-containing ingredients for you. we do try pretty hard at the restaurant, and have one regular that is so appreciative that it makes it a pleasure to feed him properly. plus, he brings us the NYTimes on wednesdays.

for a more involved interperetation, see: http://www.nowheat.com/fooddb/food/vinegar2.htm

-jason.

Will cook for food.

jasonbissey@yahoo.com

I used it to ramp up the flavor of chicken soup for a church dinner. One little container really improved the flavor of a 15 quart pot of soup.

edited to resemble english

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Whole Foods for one. I saw it today as I was helping a customer look for organic gluten free bernaise sauce mix.

Why would a bernaise sauce contain gluten? :wacko:

it seems that there is a bit of an urban myth going on amongst celiacs... or maybe not. apparently, some think that some form of gluten is involved in vinegar, a key ingredient of hollandiase, bearnaise, etc. who knows. i dated a girl who was gluten-intolerant once, and beyond gluten in it's usual forms (i.e. breads, pasta, whatever), there were certain wheat-involved foods that she could not stomach, regardless of whether or not gluten could have formed in its preparation. it's a complicated allergy, and it's hard to find a place to eat out that is truly able to skirt gluten-containing ingredients for you. we do try pretty hard at the restaurant, and have one regular that is so appreciative that it makes it a pleasure to feed him properly. plus, he brings us the NYTimes on wednesdays.

for a more involved interperetation, see: http://www.nowheat.com/fooddb/food/vinegar2.htm

-jason.

wouldn't surprise me at all if a bernaise mix contained some kind of modified food starch that gelled when heated. It may or may not have gluten. I have customers who want wheat free, gluten free, soy free, egg free, corn free cakes. And I actually figured out how to make one, and if you hadn't had any cake for a while, you'd be very happy with it.

I have 6 varieties in my freezer, ordered directly from them.

MoreThanGourmet

Also excellent is the powdered demi-glace, which keeps indefinitely at room temperature, from Formaggio Kitchen. They sometimes don't list it on their web site because it sells out so fast, and it's currently out of stock, but definitely make it. 800/212-3224.

Formaggio Kitchen -- powdered stocks

I saw the MoreThan GOurnet product yesterday at Whole Foods for $9.95 (1.5 oz) which is a lot more than it costs on their web site.

But luckily Formaggio Kitchen is a short walk from my gym, so I'm thinking I'll check out the local product first. Plus, they have the best selection of cheeses in Boston. Thanks for the tip, k43.

So, veal demi glace. I'm a relative newcomer here, but if you want the REAL stuff, i.e. just exactly like yours would be if you made it yourself, check out

www.vatelcuisine.com

It's made by "Ahnold's" private chef (though this is emphatically not mentioned on the site) with no corners cut, comes in those 7-ounce bags that look like transfusion bags, and is PERISHABLE, something that has always made me distrust the MoreThanGourmet product. Many Whole Foods around the country now carry it in their meat and poultry cases (there is also a brown chicken demi glace, and a fish stock and LOBSTER STOCK as well) and more Whole Foods will be carrying it soon, I gather. It's also at Gelsons in SoCal and various other gourmet outlets.

The lobster stock is so dense and full of delicious shell-leavings that two bags, with the addition of a quart of heavy cream, 1 cup of cognac, judicious seasoning, and some diced poached lobster, you end up with a lobster bisque for six that would be right at home at a Parisian Reveillon dinner.

The same lobster bisque made from scratch would take five days of roasting, crushing, simmering, straining, etc.

Every New Years Eve, making it makes me a hero.

And the veal demi glace makes the most beautiful glossy pan-reduction sauces....mmmm.

Edited by Brigit Binns (log)

Please visit my new blog, Roadfoodie.

There's driving, and then there's Driving.

The chronicles of a food-obsessed traveler: her exploits, meals, and musings along the highways of America and beyond.

I saw the MoreThan GOurnet product yesterday at Whole Foods for $9.95 (1.5 oz) which is a lot more than it costs on their web site.

But luckily Formaggio Kitchen is a short walk from my gym, so I'm thinking I'll check out the local product first.  Plus, they have the best selection of cheeses in Boston.  Thanks for the tip, k43.

That's got to be wrong. It's only $4.49 in the WFM where I work. What store is this is, River St, Prospect St?

But luckily Formaggio Kitchen is a short walk from my gym, so I'm thinking I'll check out the local product first.  Plus, they have the best selection of cheeses in Boston.  Thanks for the tip, k43.

That's got to be wrong. It's only $4.49 in the WFM where I work. What store is this is, River St, Prospect St?

the Symphony WFM, off Mass Ave in Boston.

We may both be correct, just talking about different products. The demi-glace (veal and beef based) sells there for $9.95 but the glace de poulet gold (chicken) was only $4.49. I bought a packet of the latter about an hour ago, figure I'll try it out this weekend. They have a turkey glace also ($7.95) which might be of interest to some for Thanksgiving.

I checked on the meat counter today...the little tub of chicken glace gold was $4.49 and the little tub of demi glace was $4.49. Go in and ask for the grocery team leader and ask him what's the deal. All it takes is a missing tag on a shelf and the person with the pricing gun can be looking at the wrong tag and put on the wrong price.

• 3 months later...

My lovely wife was looking at a recent Martha and was moaning over a picture of hanger steak with blah blah crispy shallots and shoestring taters. So today I bought skirt steak, large plump shallots, a bag of russets, and a tub of demi glace gold, for the first time.

I marinated the meat in soy, oil, brown sugar, and cajun blackening spices. The taters I julienned and roasted. the shallots were frizzled in butter, deglazed with balsamic, then reduced to a glaze, then repeatedly deglazed with water and reduced till tender and finished with butter and tupelo honey.

the meat was done a la Alton Brown in a white hot cast iron skillet, then rested under foil for 10 minutes.

The demi was added to a cabernet/shallot reduction, the smell of which brought me back to a different time, different place as you don't often smell red wine boiling in the bake shop.

Succulent. Why have I not bought that demi stuff before? this could get me back into actually using all the cookbooks and all the cookware.

I picked up some of the veg. demi-glace gold at our local Stop & Shop. I still haven't decided what to do with it. If anyone's looking- I found it in the soup section next to the bullion cubes.

Melissa

• 3 weeks later...

I came across Minor's products at Soupbase.com. Has anyone tried their demi-glace or other products? How do they compare with other recommended products, such as:

Formaggio Kitchen powdered demi-glace

D'Artagnan

Aromont Veal demi-glace

Demi-Glace Gold from More Than Gourmet

Made-from-scratch-over-a-whole-weekend

A friend of mine brought me some Minor's veal base when she visited me, singing its praises and telling me how great it is. I made the mistake of trying it out in a reduction sauce. I should have read the label and I would have seen how much salt was added (it's the second ingredient). It was the nastiest, saltiest reduction I have ever made and it went right down the disposal. It was reminiscent of that powdered onion soup mix from the 70's that everyone used to make dip with. ICK!!

I noticed that they have a "low sodium" and "no msg" version, but I'm a bit wary of a company that ever thought msg and salt in a stock base was a good idea in the first place and needed to come out with "versions" with low salt and msg. I would definitely e-mail them and ask them if they add salt to their demi-glace if you want to try it. Because they sure do to their veal stock!

I came across Minor's products at Soupbase.com.  Has anyone tried their demi-glace or other products?  How do they compare with other recommended products, such as:

Formaggio Kitchen powdered demi-glace

D'Artagnan

Aromont Veal demi-glace

Demi-Glace Gold from More Than Gourmet

Made-from-scratch-over-a-whole-weekend

Has anyone heard of or used this product? It's manufactured by "More than Gourmet" and I've read good things. James Peterson swears by it and Scott Connant, in his new book, recommends it as well. Making veal and roasted chicken reductions at home are time consuming, and can be expensive for such little end result quantity.

www.morethangourmet.com/

Byerly's sells it a lot cheaper than the web site or the other places mentioned above.

I used the demi-glace gold, the vegetable one, and several of the other ones. I think the only one I really thought noteworthy was the Demi-glace Gold. It's actually pretty tasty, and it does keep forever up in the cupboard. I use it only when I'm in a rush, or trying something new that I don't want to use my valued "homemade" demi-glace ala Escoffier.

doc