• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chapeau Melon

Felice

I’ve been meaning to go to the Chapeau Melon for some time and finally got the chance to go on Saturday night. I’ve tried to reserve before, but since they only have a handful of tables they are often full. I even hesitated posting about it because it’s the kind of place you like to keep to yourself. Although I wouldn’t say it’s a place for everyone. I, however, adored it.

It’s in the 19th on a little street off the blvd de Belleville. The atmosphere isn’t much really—some wine lining the shelves (it’s a wine store) and crates displaying foie gras, rillettes, cider, honey and, of course, wine. Then there are a few tables—one large table that seats about 12 and two other deuces. While we were there they had a walk-in of three and quickly brought out a folding table and seated the newcomers in the middle of the room.

The menu, and that’s all that’s available, is 25 € for 5 courses—no choice. We started with two delicious raw oysters “a la japonaise” served over a bed of salt. The second course was marinated mackerel with some sort of pesto sauce that had a very subtle bit of huile d’argon, that was quite good. Third course was warm layers of eggplant, dried tomatoes and cheese. The main course was a delicious dish of lentils de Puy with sautéed foie gras and dessert was two different chevres. I was so full by then though, that we could hardly finish. The owner of the wine shop does all of the cooking himself and there was one server who was absolutely charming and very helpful with the wine. Corkage fee is only 5€ on top of the shop prices. Wines are all “natural” which is definitely big in Paris right now and from what I’ve read the owner has quite an impressive cave.

The crowd was rather young and the room rather smoky, so this might be a deterrent to some.

As I said, I loved it though and will definitely go back soon.

Chapeau Melon

Restaurant open: dinner only Wed-Sat

92 rue Rébeval, 19th

Metro: Pyrenees.

01 42 02 68 60

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Felice,

Is it normally booked full during the week also? I am there on wednesday night and am hoping I can convince at least one of my crewmembers to go with me, but that is always a last minute thing.

It sounds great. I wonder if you should have posted it also! Next time just PM me with any finds... :wink:

Edited by raisab (log)

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Sounds amazing Felice.  I think I'll give it a whirl.  I will be in Paris in two weeks and trying to find more posts like this.  Any other recomendations? 

Thx

Eat

Not ones that aren't known already. Le Verre Vole would be one. Maybe La Baratin. La Cave L'Os a Moelle is great, but it's definitely not unknown. I haven't been there in a while but I loved it the first time I went and have been back several times.

And Raisab, you could try on Wednesday, you never know.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com