• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The F Word!

Pweaver1984

I recorded the show and am excited to watch it when I get some time. I like Gordon Ramsay, even though he is portrayed as a blowhard on his USA television show, HELL'S KITCHEN. I've heard he's hard on his boys, but also very fair and supportive of them -- I like that in a chef.

Has anyone here had any direct experience with Gordon Ramsay? What's he like in person?

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

I watched it last night and quite enjoyed it. Gordon almost seemed human, and the format is entertaining - cooking and schmoozing rather than ranting, swearing and screaming.

I especially loved the look on Gordo's face when he lost the bread & butter pudding competition to the comedian. Priceless.

Edited by DeVeaux (log)

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Kinder and Gentler Gordon? Yeah, kinda. In any event, a very good shew.

The comedian who won the bread pudding cookoff, Al Murray, was a "contestant" on the first Hell's Kitchen series in the UK. (Hence the joke he made about Edwinna Curry, another "contestant" on that program.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Has anyone here had any direct experience with Gordon Ramsay? What's he like in person?

I was talking to a chef who had worked with him and he said Ramsay was a really nice fellow. He had nothing but praise for him.

I am going to a lunch here in Melbourne on Thursdsay where Ramsay is promoting his autobiography and a new cookbook. I will report how he comes across.

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to a lunch here in Melbourne on Thursdsay where Ramsay is promoting his autobiography and a new cookbook. I will report how he comes across.

Here it is

Great read, Thanks Pat!

What was the food like?

Paul

The hotel restaurant cooked two dishes from his Sunday Lunch book. Roast lamb rump on an eggplant puree. That puree was absolutely terrific.

Dessert was a rhubarb creme brulee done in a wide shallow dish. Just a little rhubarb. Quite a simple dish - but enough :biggrin:

This show is absolutely awesome.

I love the one hour-quick-cut format. Every segment of the show (pretty much) is entertaining and fairly informative.

Great programming.

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

I found it funny that they were ecstatic that Gary was going to survive his absessed foot and join them for Christmas dinner.

Gary is a turkey BTW.

I had to laugh at Giles and "Gordons" sperm count competition/diet too.

And that Scottish bird? The way the taste was described-I believe Giles said it was like sucking the puss out of a boil-made me wonder how it became a delicacy :wacko:

I've just finished the second season. While I felt it wasn't as engaging as the first--I missed Giles and found Janet Street Porter quite off-putting--the second to last episode with the slaughter of the pigs was some pretty powerful television. Carry that to the finale when you could tell that Gordon was particularly passionate about putting together a great meal with Twinny and Susannah and it made for an uplifiting experience.

• 4 weeks later...

I love this show, especially the opening sequence. :biggrin: (I tracked the song down and downloaded it, and it kinda fits him, really.) Too bad, though, that nobody told the poor man at the beginning it's not a good idea to name something you intend to eat, especially if you have kids. By the time someone got round to it, it was too late. :raz:

"d00d where r u???"

"im in ur kichen cookin ur f00dz!"

The electrocution of the turkeys on the episode that aired tonight was quite interesting. I figured they wouldn't show it in the US, but they did. It's important for people to at least see what happens to their food before it arrives at the grocery store. Simply seeing it done makes me respect it all the more.

WhizWit.net -- My blog on Food, Life, and Politics

The electrocution of the turkeys on the episode that aired tonight was quite interesting. I figured they wouldn't show it in the US, but they did.  It's important for people to at least see what happens to their food before it arrives at the grocery store.  Simply seeing it done makes me respect it all the more.

*nods* It's the least we can do - those of us who eat meat, anyway - to see at least once in our lives where it actually comes from.

I have to admit to giggling when he kept saying, "Good thing the kids aren't here." The kids were all, "We want to watch!" while he was the one who felt bad about it. People forget what bloodthirsty little creatures kids can be.

"d00d where r u???"

"im in ur kichen cookin ur f00dz!"

I got an e-mail from BBC America that says they're showing 'new' F-Word episodes starting January 7. I'm assuming Season 2 is at hand.

It dismays me to find out Giles won't be back, especially when Gordon was so hoping to get the guy hooked up! I've seen at least two episodes so far where Gordon asked a lady guest if she was interested in him or in setting him up. Anyone remember more? Is love in the air as well as the smell of roast turkey next week?

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

• 1 month later...

Is anyone watching Series 2 now? I'm finding it really difficult to watch him yelling at amateurs. I don't deny one or two of them could use being taken down a peg but, oi, professional kitchens are really intimidating places for some people. One class at the CIA and ICE each were enough for me.

But hey, as long as I fast-forward through the screaming bits, it's still kinda fun.

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

• 1 month later...

They showed the castration in the US. There was a disclaimer before that segment about disturbign content or something though.

I am watching season two and enjoying it, although I am glad they are spending less and less time with the original premise of the show and doing more of the asides. Also I love his delivery of each episode's featured recipe.

Chop.

Saute.

Deglaze.

Fold.

Spindle.

Mutilate.

Recipe of the day?

Done.

Edited by pork (log)