• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The F Word!

Pweaver1984

I've been watching just about everything of Ramsay's recently, and I think the two seasons of The F Word have been very good. The format seems like a good idea -- splitting up the main kitchen events with smaller bits about unusual foods, cooking challenges, turkey and pig farming and all that.

As far as the naughty words goes -- hey, savour it. Failing that, you could always hop across the pond and savor the freedoms enjoyed by your colonial cousins, and have your ass fined tens of thousands of dollars for saying the fuck word on TV...

Do they allow vulgar language on public TV in the UK (if so, after the "watershed" I presume)? It's nice to watch a show like The F Word without hearing a bunch of bleeps.

They had no bleeps on the first series as far as I can remember, and GR was every bit as passionate and energetic. The last thing I want is for things to be dumbed down to accommodate one little 6 year old. That's not my point.

I know there are cooking programmes targeted at children, but the F Word was the one that grabbed her, I think because she recognised GR and HFW from the cookbooks in the kitchen.

They had no bleeps on the first series as far as I can remember, and GR was every bit as passionate and energetic.

I have recordings of the first F Word series, and there's definitely some bleeping going on (and also a "blooming heck" which I thought sounded hillariously out of character, coming from Ramsay). I cannot recall if there is non-bleeped swearing in the first series, but there certainly is, in the second one. I'm not sure if this is because the first series aired earlier in the evening than the second? I _thought_ I came across some bleeped words in the second series, and that this might have been recorded from an earlier, pre-watershed airing.

Edit: Okay, I just checked the copy of the last episode in the first series, and there is unbleeped swearing there. At least two other episodes in the first series features bleeping... (And as I said, I think that's the case with the second series also -- ie., there's a mixture of bleeped and unbleeped, which I guess just depends on what time in the evening they were broadcast.)

Edited by Grub (log)

[Cooks swear. Cooks yell. That's how it is, any show that depicts it otherwise is phony. And most kitchens I've worked in weren't "safe" places for children.]

Well I've been in a few kitchens when in journo mode and the good ones are surprisingly quiet. A good chef has a good team. If he/she has to raise his/her voice and swear a lot then something is wrong. Either the people arent as good as they claimed to be or chef has simply picked the wrong people.

My kitchen isnt a safe place for children. Hot things and sharp things. Obviously it depends on the child's age and how lax the parents are at supervision. Many parents today would probably try to sue Sabbatier if their child cut itself playing with a knife, rather than admit their own fault.

S

TV shows both pre and post watershed are allowed a certain amount of swear words, obviously more post watershed, and it's broken down into so many fucks, so many shits, so many bollocks's etc, hence the fact some are bleeped and some aren't

Here's an appearance prior to him winning big brother

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlhJF7qVcNA

Shudder -- that's the TRUE hell's kitchen (from Boiling Point). GR has a very wide range -- from complete uncaring asshole to fun childlike mentor. In BP it's nothing but the former when he's in the kitchen.

It's bizarre they silence the f words, but not "dickhead" and "asshole."

[Cooks swear. Cooks yell. That's how it is, any show that depicts it otherwise is phony. And most kitchens I've worked in weren't "safe" places for children.]

Well I've been in a few kitchens when in journo mode and the good ones are surprisingly quiet. A good chef has a good team. If he/she has to raise his/her voice and swear a lot then something is wrong. Either the people arent as good as they claimed to be or chef has simply picked the wrong people.

Yep, I agree. And also it just may be really busy, or really slow, or ... :wink:

Question: Which F Word series, and episode was it that featured Cliff Richard? I thought I'd seen all nine episodes of both series, but have yet to come across this juicy bit.

Cliff Richard tells Ramsay to go fuck himself:

"...The incident, which recalls Kenneth Tynan's historic utterance of a similar obscenity, came when Gordon Ramsay visited Sir Cliff's personal vineyard in Portugal.

"The more time we spent together, the more I realised he knew fuck all about wine," Ramsay tells me.

"I got him to try a pounds 400 bottle, and he said it tasted cheap. Then I got him to try a different one, and he said it was acidic and rough, and he would never buy it. So I said to him: 'Cliff, it's your fucking wine'."

"He obviously didn't like to hear that, so he turned around and told me, to my face, that I could 'fuck off'."

Last night, Channel 4 confirmed that Sir Cliff's potty-mouthed comment will be televised in full. "This series is going out after the watershed so it won't even be bleeped out," said a spokesman..."

Ah, thanks man!

Jezz, that article completely overhyped that incident. The "incident" didn't happen anything near what it described. He was actually pretty cool about it. Ramsay put him through several blind taste tests of one celebrity wine and one supposedly very good, expensive wine. Richard actually admitted up front that he couldn't identify the posh wine from the plonk celebrity wine, insisting that he could only say what he liked, and disliked. He got two "right" and one wrong before being faced with what turned out to be two bottles of celebirity wine -- the first one being a hundred pound bottle of Bob Dyland's, and the other being Cliff Richard's very own celebrity plonk -- he panned both of them, saying he'd never buy either. When Ramsay revealed the first bottle and told him what the price was, Ricard was amazed and said at least his own celebrity plonk only cost eight pounds -- and then, when Ramsay revealed that the second bottle was his own stuff, he laughed his ass off. He was a good sport about it, and even admitted that his own wine did taste pretty harsh.

Then, after Ramsay had bugged him about half a dozen times, to say "fuck," he finally leaned in close and said, "Okay you can tell me to fuck off now," and Ricdard replied, "Okay, fuck off," while still laughing at his own gaffe. If Richard had said it in anger -- like what the hype described it as -- it would have been a story; you know, hypocracy.

I thought the following may be of interest to some people - the chef rich list

http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/Arti...rticleID=308426

and some news about Ramsay's future plans to open a chain of Gastro pubs. Seems he is going the JC Novelli way, but hopefully better executed

http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/2006...ountry+pubs.htm

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Thanks for the link ravelda.

Although Ramsay is expanding outside the UK with restaurants in New York, Florida, Los Angeles, Amsterdam, Prague and Ireland, he believes there is no room for him to open a 10th restaurant in London.

This is good news. It looks like Ireland is in the frame. Does anyone know any more about this?

I thought the following may be of interest to some people - the chef rich list

http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/Arti...rticleID=308426

Holy fuck! GR is worth that much? And Jamie Oliver that much (and he's only opened one or two restaurants IIRC)? Wow, seems like owning and running restaurants is small change compared to book and TV show deals.

• 1 month later...

So Gordon Ramsay's new show, "The F Word," premiered tonight on BBC America. I think I really like it. It shows him cooking stuff thats possible to do at home, but requires a definite skill and shows technique more so than recipes. Anyone else catch it?

WhizWit.net -- My blog on Food, Life, and Politics

That's the one where he raises turkeys, and then pigs, right? That show has a much more interesting format, than anything else I've seen... I like how the main show is separated by a bunch of repeating segments, like the roaming investigator checking out unusual foods, teaching a non-cook to cook, the cooking challenge, and the turkey/pigs etc. Good stuff.

Both series also discussed on the UK boards in a couple of threads. I liked the first series but didn't like the second one where he just seemed to ladle on the aggro to his kitchen staff (who were 'normal' people as opposed to hardened chefs)

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...hl=ramsay++word

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...hl=ramsay++word