• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuy

All of the other dishes you have tried seem to be indigenous to the areas you were in.. Guinea Pig or Cuy, I thought was more popular say in Peru then New York.. Your best bet would be to go to a pet shop.. But I would be interested to hear if places serve it in New York.. One thing that I have heard good things about is the Tepezcuintle or Paca.. This is a larger rodent and is popular in Mexico, even being served to the Queen of England on a visit to Belize.. I also dont know where you can find this, but would love to know..

All of the other dishes you have tried  seem to be indigenous to the areas you were in.. Guinea Pig or Cuy, I thought was more popular say in Peru then New York.. Your best bet would be to go to a pet shop.. But I would be interested to hear if places serve it in New York.. One thing that I have heard good things about is the Tepezcuintle or Paca.. This is a larger rodent and is popular in Mexico, even being served to the Queen of England on a visit to Belize..  I also dont know where you can find this, but would love to know..

Pet shop.....my problem is that I can't see myself walking out with a geinea pig and break its neck then grill it. Have friend who did that for fresh octopus in LA and brought that to K Town.

I just hope the ASPCA won't be knocking on my door anytime soon for this posting.

Edited by AzianBrewer (log)

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Sonny D'Angelo in South Philly can get you nutria... you might ask him about cuy too.

http://www.dangelobros.com/game.htm

Philly is not that far a trip from NYC if you're really on a mission.

An interesting site on Nutria for human eating:

http://www.nutria.com/site9.php

Since they are semi aquatic they are probably all over the damn place in New Orleans now.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Sonny D'Angelo in South Philly can get you nutria... you might ask him about cuy too.

http://www.dangelobros.com/game.htm

Philly is not that far a trip from NYC if you're really on a mission.

An interesting site on Nutria for human eating:

http://www.nutria.com/site9.php

Since they are semi aquatic they are probably all over the damn place in New Orleans now.

I checked out the site...the chilli recipes looks pretty darn good!

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Salinas still advertises it as a Sunday special for $30. You may try calling on Sundays to see if they have it. Other Ecuadorian places in Brooklyn (in Sunset Park, along 5th Ave.) and Queens also have it, and I believe there was something on chowhound a while back about where to by frozen ones ready for the grill. Also, in the summers, there was a merchant who sold them by the soccer games in Flushing Meadows Park, but I believe he was shut down by the Board of Health or something...

There are a number of Ecuadorans in Westchester and you're very likely to find cuy in Sleepy Hollow, Port Chester and Peekskill. I remember one woman telling me you could get it at the C-Town in Peekskill.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.