• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High End Cookware

From the the EGCI course on Understanding Stovetop Cookware and its Q&A thread, the AllClad Stainless and Cop-R-Chef lines have only 2 mm. cores and are inferior to their MasterChef and LTD lines, which have 4 mm. cores. Serious cooks should be sure to get only Master Chef or LTD.

Better yet (if you can't afford heavyweight stainless-lined copper), get the Sitram Profisserie, Paderno Grand Gourmet or Falk Culinair lines, which are better stuff at lower prices.

I got a bunch of shiny pots (KitchenAid's answer to All-Clad; I prefer the handle angles although I deplore the rivets, ah well) and a big ol' Le Creuset Dutch Oven (and matching trivet!! woo!) for housewarming gifts four years ago.

They're still pretty shiny despite a fair amount of use. I love them almost as much as my pets.

Now I covet one of those tall-ish sloped-side saucier pots. Hmm. Must make my Christmas wishes known.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Ah the poetry, the timing! I'm running out the door in just a moment to get my AC LTD set! Woo hoo! I'm mixing with some existing useful pots from Farberware Millenium that we've had for years, Le Crueset grill pan (its a bitch to clean!) and some cast iron. I hope to also to pick up a Le Crueset pot for braising. MMMMM. Happy Birthday/Merry Christmas for 2 years for my husband and me...all rolled into one!!!! :biggrin:

I'm a huge Morford fan and was thrilled to read this article posted a few days back. In fact, I emailed him my two cents regarding the Calphalon One product. I email him all the time though and I dno't ever hear a word back, so what are you going to do? :biggrin:

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Boy can I relate to this guy. I fell into a similar trap here in braising with clay pots.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I laughed 'till I cried. That is, until I realized I AM him.  click

I am him too. I have one All-Clad LTD saucepan, and I swear, everytime I wash it up after using it, I admire it! It is so nice and thick, and I love the way it cleans and is so smooth and shiny inside. I want more, and dream of having a whole collection of All-Clad someday. I feel the same way about my LeCrueset soup pot and small dutch oven. Love them, and want lots more.

It's an addiction of sorts. Nice to know I'm not alone!

:) Pam

I'm lucky to have a couple of excellent le creuset pans, a Demeyer saucier (5qut) and a KitchenAid 2qut sauce pan from my days working at Sur la Table years ago. I also have lots of very nicely seasoned cast iron that my fiance cares for fastidiously. I really like my KA sauce pan and am wondering if anyone knows a good retailer for the KitchenAid line. I am embarrassed to say I don't know if Sur la Table still sells this line? When I lived in NYC I stopped by the Broadway Panhandler and they didn't sell more than a couple pans...

I had such an odd feeling reading this message from an ardent soul. Talk about deja-vu, it was almost as if I had died and he was channelling my spirit.

Strangers walk into my kitchen and ask if it is a cookware shop - then they see into the pantry and ask if I sell antiques. Some have remarked I am better stocked than many shops.

Perhaps it is something in my psyche that demands that I collect things used for cooking.

I am not thrilled with jewelry - never have been. My last husband gave up on buying pretty things and began shopping at a hardware store that carried good kitchen ware. In fact, that is where most of my Descoware and Magnalite came from. He gave me the largest Magnalite roaster for my birthday one year and I was ecstatic. Friends thought I was nuts or, they thought I was putting on an act to hide my disappointment in not getting something "personal."

This is the ceiling in my pantry.

gallery_17399_60_94960.jpg

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andiesenji,

I sincerely hope you do not live in the heart of earthquake country...

If you're in your kitchen during a quake, you'd end up 4 inches shorter with some serious dents in your head! :wink:

Great photo!

Edited by dougery (log)

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

In fact, that is where most of my Descoware and Magnalite came from.  He gave me the largest Magnalite roaster for my birthday one year and I was ecstatic.

If you pine for more pieces but don't love prospecting on eBay, a company named American Culinary seems to have revived Magnalite, WagnerWare, and Griswold. See here.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

I'm lucky to have a couple of excellent le creuset pans, a Demeyer saucier (5qut) and a KitchenAid 2qut sauce pan from my days working at Sur la Table years ago. I also have lots of very nicely seasoned cast iron that my fiance cares for fastidiously. I really like my KA sauce pan and am wondering if anyone knows a good retailer for the KitchenAid line. I am embarrassed to say I don't know if Sur la Table still sells this line? When I lived in NYC I stopped by the Broadway Panhandler and they didn't sell more than a couple pans...

I got my set of KitchenAid 5-ply stainless steel stuff at Sur la Table :smile: and I love it madly (originally I had intended to get All-Clad but I prefer the handles on the KA). I was recently looking for another pot to add, and Sur la Table's website indicates they don't sell KA cookware any longer.

:sad:

You can order stuff online from KitchenAid.com though.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

:wub: Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Jackpot!!! I had the biggest grin on my face at Wm. Sonoma the other night!!!!! Talk about fun! I got to pick out some AC pieces I wanted: the griddle (faaaaabbbbbuuuullllous!), saucier (sexy, smooth. sleek, delicious! I'd sleep with this if my hubby let me!) along with the 14 piece set. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! I'm so freakin' spoiled! I thought my face was going to crack I was grinning so hard! Forget diamonds, forget lingerie, if you want to turn me on, give me great cookware!!! :wub: I'm a little embarrassed about how many pieces we "invested" in, it really was too much for one day, but what fun! I can't even tell my family, they just wouldn't understand!

Andiesenji, cool pantry! I'm too short for overhead, and I'd really be afraid of one of those super heavy Le Crueset pans falling on my head! But cool, nonetheless. :biggrin:

By the way... at Wm. Sonoma, if you purchase $400 of items, you get a free grill pan (I'm still waiting on mine - back ordered).