• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Los Angeles restaurant scene

lizziee

Chef Ludovic Lefevre has left L'Orangerie to open his own restaurant in Venice Calif. His restaurant decor may be a little less formal with a touch of rustic, than L'Orangerie, with the same style of food.

Interesting thread! I somehow had missed it until now. Especially interesting to me, since I'm a food critic who moved to L.A. from NYC just over a year ago. The tenor of it echos the conclusion I've come to over these past months: the general level of the higher end restaurants in L.A. doesn't nearly measure up to the level of such restauratns in either NY or San Francisco, either in terms of food or service. Or even, odd as it may sound, ambience.

There are restaurants I'm quite fond of--Josie, Joe's, Water Grill, Spago come to mind. And many, many others that I find extremely overrated. And still others I haven't yet had the opportunity to try. I do agree with Fat Guy's glowing appraisal of Aqua at the St. Regis Monarch Beach--based, anyway, on the one dinner I had there.

I do, however, find the general level of Japanese, Mexican, Thai, Chinese, and Vietnamese restaurants to be spectacular--so good that I'm even willing to drive (far!) sometimes to sample them. I fell in love with a Mexican (Oaxacan) restaurant nearby where I live--Juquila, in West L.A., but last time I ate there, I noticed with some horror that the posted health dept. grade in the window was a "C." Haven't been back, and I'm still seeking amazing Mexican food. I don't love Guelaguetza. I found two superb Vietnamese restaurants, both nondescript, but with stunning food: Song Long in Westmister (9361 Bolsa Ave, Ste. 108; 714/775-3724). Don't miss #35 on the menu: Cha Ca Ha Noi (sorry, I can't do the punctuation)--a grilled fish dish that's a North Vietnam specialty, with grilled onions, lots of dill, peanuts, rice vermicelli, nuoc mam, etc. Also a phô restaurant whose name I can't recall, but I can tell you exactly where it is: in the San Fernando Valley, in a strip mall on the northeast corner of Sepulveda and Victory. I know the spot well because it used to be the site of Dale's supermarket, where I bagged groceries when I was in high school. Loved the phô (which included every correct herb in the garnishes!), as well as the shrimp paste on sugar cane. In fact, everything was so good that it made me feel I didn't even want to continue to look for decent French food in this town--I can make that at home! And now, if someone can point me to a wonderful Mexican spot on the westside, I'd be most grateful...

I am about to blush with shame... you are Angelino foodies with class and bucks, and I am not. But when visiting my daughter in June we had dins at Vert, the Puck bistro in the Hollywood/Highland mall. Great service and the best moules I have ever had. I was just a tourist. The veal shanks and orange tart creme brulee were also solid good food.

I have never seen so many restaurants anywhere as I saw in LA. Noone cooks at home?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

And now, if someone can point me to a wonderful Mexican spot on the westside, I'd be most grateful...

I'd go with La Cabana in Venice which you are probably aware of. Or, further East, Loteria in the Farmer's Market.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

And now, if someone can point me to a wonderful Mexican spot on the westside, I'd be most grateful...

I'd go with La Cabana in Venice which you are probably aware of. Or, further East, Loteria in the Farmer's Market.

Thanks, Hollywood. I do like La Cabana very much (partly for sentimental reasons--I've been going there for 25 or 30 years), but I don't love it. I'll try Loteria. It's actually in Farmer's Market? I've never noticed it.

Thanks, Hollywood. I do like La Cabana very much (partly for sentimental reasons--I've been going there for 25 or 30 years), but I don't love it. I'll try Loteria. It's actually in Farmer's Market? I've never noticed it.

Loteria is new to Farmer's Market. Good tacos and stuff. Even aqua frescas (sp?). As for La Cabana, been going there since the wine margarita days. At one point, I went to a branch in Ensenada.

.  Also a phô restaurant whose name I can't recall, but I can tell you exactly where it is: in the San Fernando Valley, in a strip mall  on the northeast corner of Sepulveda and Victory.  I know the spot well because it used to be the site of Dale's supermarket, where I bagged groceries when I was in high school.  Loved the phô (which included every correct herb in the garnishes!), as well as the shrimp paste on sugar cane.  

I know that pho spot - I always eat there after shoppping at the 99 Ranch market (right next door), which is great for Asian foodstuffs without having to go downtown. I've also been partial to the 24 hr. pho places on Western Ave. in Koreatown, which are pretty solid for 2-3am eating and are filled with the coolest collection of Asian club kids - it's really quite the scene.

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

If you like Korean BBQ, try Cho Sun Galbee on Olympic and Western.

Very good.

Chinese food, go to San Gabriel Valley. Sorry, but the dim sum on the west side is a pathetic and sad excuse for the real thing. Go to 888 Seafood on Valley Blvd in Rosemead for good dim sum.

Don't know if you guys know this, but a lot of the HK style seafood places in San Gabriel/Monterey Park/Alhambra area are open quite late (12-1am) and after 9pm there are late night menus of seafood. Steamed tilapia, fried tofu, crispy shrimp, spinach with duck egg, beef daikon for $6.95. It's a great deal. If you are really hardcore though, I suggest having a bowl of sharkfin late at night. The warm broth totally hits the spot. MPV Seafood on Garfield. NYC on Valley Blvd.

I know that French/Italian food doesn't compare to NYC in terms of general standards but in LA, Asian food rocks!

Don't know if you guys know this, but a lot of the HK style seafood places in San Gabriel/Monterey Park/Alhambra area are open quite late (12-1am) and after 9pm there are late night menus of seafood. Steamed tilapia, fried tofu, crispy shrimp, spinach with duck egg, beef daikon for $6.95. It's a great deal. If you are really hardcore though, I suggest having a bowl of sharkfin late at night. The warm broth totally hits the spot. MPV Seafood on Garfield. NYC on Valley Blvd.

I agree with you on the superior quality of San Gabriel Chinese food, but who's into driving to Monterey Park at midnite? :biggrin:

Just returned from LA having enjoyed a superb meal at Joe's in Venice. Excellent service, helpful waiters (didn't always have the answers but went back to the kitchen to ask rather than guessing or making something up). And the food was excellent. Fresh well prepared creatrively presented. The wine list was good and dining outdoors on the patio was romantic. The couple behind us actually got engage d while we were there. I'd recommend it highly. Only negative was about a 20 minute wait in their very crowded bar even though we had reservations.

On the completeley oposite side of the spectrum I finally made it to Pinks for their world famous Chili dogs. Definately worth the wait on the long line. Compares favorably to any I've had before.

Kenny-

My favorite, as mentioned earlier, is Mori Sushi on Pico. It is a bit pricy, but it is wonderful. Lots of fresh fish flown in from Japan, and instructions about what to use soy for, and what to have as served. The atmosphere is nice, as well--very modern in feel, and very personal, as though the owner did much of the work himself. I think he make all the pottery, so he might have done the contrasting, as well. If you go, be sure to get fresh wasabi.

Another wonderful place is Takao on San Vicente (not to be confused with Takai across the street). The chef used to be at Matsuhisa, and the best dishes are the carpaccio/tartare types--very special. The sushi is also very good. Takao's atmosphere is very standard-issue sushi bar--nothing special, but the food is very good.

I used to be partial to The Hump, but was not so impressed on a recent visit. Their "California" style stuff is so much better than the sushi--next time I go I will focus on that part of the menu and forget the pieces/rolls. It is a very nice room, though, and fun to find in the Santa Monica airport.

I have not tried Coi, the hip new spot, but I have heard that the food is secondary to the scene.

There are many other well regarded places, but I have either not been or not been is so long that I can't really comment. :hmmm:

Mori Sushi is good and the atmosphere is very aesthetic, but it is expensive. Ginza Sushi-ko which may or may not be here after year's end (moving to NYC) is the most expensive by far ($300 per head plus liquor) but highly praised. Best value is Hide (cash only, no reservations, no atmosphere). Other local favorites are Saito in Silverlake and Sasabune and Sushi Nozawa home of so-called Sushi Nazi proprietors.

Yeah, bacon wrapped--you can read more in Gold's Counter Intelligence.

I went to Sushi Nozawa the other nite - a dissapointing and irritating experience. The fish was okay, but the whole attitude was terrible.I like eating a sushi meal dictated by a chef, but I don't think Nozawa cares very much any more. We were started on a plate of toro sahimi with ponzu and scallions, which was fine, but just as soon as we finished, 2 more pieces of sushi were slapped down. And another 2 and another 2. Absolutely no pacing or finesse in presentation or preparation.The rice was poorly made - trying to pick up a piece of sushi, the entire rice ball would collapse and break apart. "No soy sauce" was the only thing out of Nozawa's mouth, other than "you finished?" I know the guy needs to turn seats, (we were sitting at the bar and it wasn't that busy for an early Friday eve.), but we were given a check for 100 bucks after 40 minutes (with only 2 lrg. beers on the ticket) and pretty much shown the door.

I don't think Sushi Nazi applies - hubby called him Crotchety Old Man Sushi.Maybe it's serving his fish in flourescent lite on plastic Melamite plates to Valley gaijin that's made him so cranky. Completely uncool vibe and I won't be going there again.

As for the Oki-Dog, I like mine with the pastrami. At Pink's it's always a chili/kraut dog.

where is R-23? Little Tokyo?

Heard of it but can't place it.

R-23 is in an artists' lofts, warehouse area at 923 E. Third St., downtown. It's got a nice modern minimalist style to it with Gehry cardboard chairs and quality ceramics that tasty sushi is served on. It's not hard to find but a little off the beaten path and worth it. Almost feels like you're going to a rave or something till you get inside.

Now I know - near Traction Ave, and Al's Bar. That's a great funky little area. Who runs the place - do you know?

My first loft was at Citizen's Warehouse, 1001 E. First - right under the bridge - I miss living down there!

Now I know - near Traction Ave, and Al's Bar. That's a great funky little area. Who runs the place - do you know?

My first loft was at Citizen's Warehouse, 1001 E. First - right under the bridge - I miss living down there!

Don't know who runs it, but here's S. Irene's recent take. Al"s Bar BTW is no more.

http://events.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,...l-35458,00.html