• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
hzrt8w

Pictorial: Imperial Shrimp (Garlic/Tomato Sauce)

Imperial Shrimp (Shrimp with Chili, Garlic and Tomato Sauce) (乾燒蝦)

This is a "Mandarin" style (Beijing/Sichuan) dish using hot chili, chili bean sauce, garlic and tomato sauce to stir-fry shrimp. The recipe was learned from the same reputable chef. The dish was another best seller in his restaurant. This dish may carry many names: Imperial Shrimp, Mandarin Shrimp, Peking Shrimp or other non-descriptive English names. The Chinese name: 乾燒蝦, which means dry-cooked shrimp, may be more meaningful.

Serving suggestion: 2

gallery_19795_1985_35475.jpg

Main ingredients: Medium size shrimp (with shell), about 1 1/4 lb. Other ingredients include garlic, ginger, chili bean sauce, tomato sauce, chicken broth (not shown) and some seasonings (not shown).

gallery_19795_1985_10590.jpg

Shell each shrimp: trim off the head. Use your fingers to peel off the shell. Use a chef knief or utility knief to make a cut about half-way through along the back of the shrimp. Devein. Rinse under running water.

It is much easier to shell and devein the shrimp with a small utility knief under the running water with a bin underneath.

You may save the shrimp heads and shells to make stock. I usually use them to make a stock, and add some miso paste and cubed tofu to make miso soup. Or add some Thai Tom Yum soup paste, a few pieces of shrimp and some sliced button mushrooms to make Thai style soup.

gallery_19795_1985_21636.jpg

Marinate the shrimp: In general, seafood is very delicate. Do not use heavy sauces (such as soy sauce and oyster sauce) to marinate seafood.

Add deshelled/deveined shrimp to a small mixing bowl. Add 1/4 tsp of salt, 2 tsp of cooking oil and 2 tsp of corn starch.

gallery_19795_1985_15206.jpg

Mix all ingredients well. Set aside for about 20 minutes before cooking.

gallery_19795_1985_1203.jpg

Meanwhile, prepare the aromatics. Use about a 1-inch cut of ginger, 4 to 5 cloves of garlic, and 1 to 2 stalks of green onion.

gallery_19795_1985_3633.jpg

Use a grater to grate the ginger. Peel and mince the garlic. Trim the ends of the green onions and finely chop.

gallery_19795_1985_32795.jpg

When ready to cook: use a wok/pan, set stove to high setting, add 3 tblsp of cooking oil. Wait until oil is hot, add the marinated shrimp. Cook until the color of shrimp turns from light grey to white and orange red, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from pan and drain. Discard the oil.

gallery_19795_1985_18311.jpg

Use the same pan, maintain stove setting at high, add 2 tblsp of cooking oil. Wait until oil heats up and just starts fuming. Add the shredded ginger and minced garlic. Add 1 to 1.5 tsp of chili bean sauce. Add 1 tsp of chili sauce. (Note: if you like hot and spicy food, you may add more chili sauce to taste.) No need to add extra salt because the chili bean sauce is very salty and the shrimp has already been salted.

gallery_19795_1985_12887.jpg

Stir well. Cook for about 15 seconds. Dash in 2 tsp of white vinegar and 1 tsp of Shao Hsing cooking wine.

gallery_19795_1985_16075.jpg

Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth, 1/2 can (small 8-oz can) of tomato sauce, and 3 tsp of sugar. Stir well. Bring the mixture to a boil. Use a small amount of corn starch slurry (suggest: 1/2 tsp corn starch dissolved in 2 tsp of water) to thicken the sauce to the right consistency.

gallery_19795_1985_5875.jpg

Re-add the pre-cooked shrimp. Stir well.

gallery_19795_1985_18250.jpg

Continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes until shrimp is reheated. Finished.

gallery_19795_1985_15469.jpg

Transfer to the dinner plate. Add the chopped green onions on top to add flavor and to serve as a garnish.

The finished dish.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

awesome! I love this dish. I used some of your techniques for a stir-fry tonight with variations. It came out pretty well. Thanks again for taking the time and putting in the effort to do this.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

These pictorials are so amazing. Thank you, hzrt8w! I have yet to try any of the dishes, but with the weather what it is now, it should be a good weekend to stay home and cook. I'll have to give this one a try.

Jennie

As always, the dish looks great and I'm sure it tasted even better! But the heads....I so wish you left them on since they're my favorite....It's the Chinese in me that mourns for them.... :wink:

Well, the Chili Udang Galah (kind of like big langoustines, also called lobster shrimp and such-like) that I used to get at the "home cooking" Chinese restaurant in Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia, used shrimp with the shells and head on, so that's just another way to do things.

When are you going to invite me to your house, Ah Leung? :laugh::raz:

Michael aka "Pan

hzrt - another great one! I wonder why it is called 'gan' when it is fairly saucy.

Would you show what your ginger grater looks like?

One last thing. When you do your book, you will be showing not only that you don't have tomuse a wok to do fantastic Chinese food, but you don't need a big cleaver either! Conventional tools -- fantabulous food!

As always, the dish looks great and I'm sure it tasted even better! But the heads....I so wish you left them on since they're my favorite....It's the Chinese in me that mourns for them.... :wink:

Thank you all for your support! And Michael: My kitchen door will always be open for you! :laugh:

Anna: I agree that the "authentic" Chinese way would probably leave the shell and heads on when cooking shrimp. They cook this dish with the shells on in China. But in the USA, all the restaurants I had been to ordering this dish made it with deshelled shrimp.

You may certainly cook it with the shell/head on. Just skip the marination step. No need to marinate the shell! :wink:

hzrt - another great one! I wonder why it is called 'gan' when it is fairly saucy.

.....Would you show what your ginger grater looks like?

.....One last thing. When you do your book, you will be showing not only that you don't have tomuse a wok to do fantastic Chinese food, but you don't need a big cleaver either! Conventional tools -- fantabulous food!

jo-mel: I think it is called "gan" because the shrimp is the main and "only" ingredient, not cooked with any vegetable or anything else. I may be off on this.

The grater that I use is an old-fashioned, "one facet" cheese grater with 2 blade/hole sizes. I use the 1/8-inch blades/holes to grate ginger. I don't like using the 4-facet cheese graters. They don't work too well for me.

I don't have a wok, but I do have a cleaver. :smile: However, I much rather use a small chef knief to do most of my cutting/chopping. It is much lighter and much easier to handle. I reserve the cleaver for chopping whole chicken only, cooked or raw. Nothing like chopping flesh and bones with a heavy, sharp cleaver. (Uh oh, do I sound like a psychotic? :laugh: )

A wok and a cleaver have long been associated with traditional Chinese cooking. I have a feeling that if I ever find a publisher to print my cookbook, he/she will demand that I demonstrate all cutting techniques with a cleaver and cook everything on a wok! For showmanship sake. :smile:

This is one of my favorite dishes!!

I can't keep up with you Ah Leung, you are going too fast! :biggrin: I am never going to get all of these made....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Just to add:

If you unshell the shrimp to cook this dish: You may save the shrimp heads and shells to make stock. I usually use them to make a stock, and add some miso paste and cubed tofu to make miso soup. Or add some Thai Tom Yum soup paste, a few pieces of shrimp and some sliced button mushrooms to make Thai style soup.

Just to add:

If you peel the shrimp to cook this dish:  You may save the shrimp heads and shells to make stock.  I usually use them to make a stock, and add some miso paste and cubed tofu to make miso soup.  Or add some Thai Tom Yum soup paste, a few pieces of shrimp and some sliced button mushrooms to make Thai style soup.

This dish is very popular in many types of Restaurants in Hong Kong. In order to make ours taste better we would take a batch of Shrimp Heads, Bodies and all the trimming accumulated and heat up some oil in a large Wok and stir fry them all until they changed colors and started to get Red, after covering them put into the hot pan a cup of Shao Hsing Wine letting it boil together until the steam quieted down, then strain the oil and discard the Shrimp Shells [to our waiting staff] and glaze the hot pan bottom with some supreme stock letting it cook down and put into a container after mixing it with some Tomato Paste to use as a Shrimp/Tomato Base by adding several spoonfuls to every order about 30/40 seconds before it was served to customers.

If we had lots of Crab Shells they would be Incorporated as well into the base after being prepared the same way.

In our European Style, American Restaurants we would save all our shrimp and prawn shells and heads to incorporate into a base for dishes like Shrimp Scampi by preparing the shells in the same style using Chablis then reducing the base and adding it to a Chicken/Pork Glacé de Villande again adding a spoonful to every order of Scampi just before serving to customers.

This works very well at home or in any Restaurant serving these types of menu items.

Irwin

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Ma used to prepare this dish using unpeeled larger shrimps. She also kept the heads. I made this dish several times using crayfish/crawfish/crawdad' (if yaw from the South).

Leave the gun, take the canoli

.....Would you show what your ginger grater looks like?

.....One last thing. When you do your book, you will be showing not only that you don't have tomuse a wok to do fantastic Chinese food, but you don't need a big cleaver either! Conventional tools -- fantabulous food!

jo-mel: I think it is called "gan" because the shrimp is the main and "only" ingredient, not cooked with any vegetable or anything else. I may be off on this.

The grater that I use is an old-fashioned, "one facet" cheese grater with 2 blade/hole sizes. I use the 1/8-inch blades/holes to grate ginger. I don't like using the 4-facet cheese graters. They don't work too well for me.

I don't have a wok, but I do have a cleaver. :smile: However, I much rather use a small chef knief to do most of my cutting/chopping. It is much lighter and much easier to handle. I reserve the cleaver for chopping whole chicken only, cooked or raw. Nothing like chopping flesh and bones with a heavy, sharp cleaver. (Uh oh, do I sound like a psychotic? :laugh: )

A wok and a cleaver have long been associated with traditional Chinese cooking. I have a feeling that if I ever find a publisher to print my cookbook, he/she will demand that I demonstrate all cutting techniques with a cleaver and cook everything on a wok! For showmanship sake. :smile:

That's the same grater I use. And I don't bother to peel the ginger. I use that same guage grater for garlic, too, ----when I want a fine mince. I don't peel the garlic. I just pick off the tip with my fingernails and grate away.

One of my cleavers is very narrow - about 1 1/2 inches across a regular length blade. I use it alot for light stuff.

If a publisher starts in on you, just tell him not to question a Master Chef!!

Another winner, hzrt8w!. One small request, though: When you show the bottles of ingredients, would you please turn the bottles so the English description/name is showing to the camera? Some jars of imported Chinese ingredients seem to have Chinese on one side and English on the other.

Thanks again, and don't stop!

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

...One small request, though: When you show the bottles of ingredients, would you please turn the bottles so the English description/name is showing to the camera?

Thanks, Jay! Sure, you got it! I will do that going forward. Thanks for pointing it out. The Chinese side of my brain typically won over the English side. :raz: Many things to improve on these pictures. :smile:

Yeah, I was going to mention about it too. Some put chopped onions to make this dish. It brings out the taste by a notch. :smile:

I notice you made a lot of sauce ("jup") with the dish. Well, a lot to me. That means you must cook a lot of rice to use up the sauce, ehh?

Not necessarily rice....toast is great for soaking up all that jup, especially, shellfish jup. Or deep-fried mantou.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Oh my, this dish is fantastic! Even though I'm in the midwest (and don't think there is anywhere in the city to get such flavorful shrimp with heads on), was able to make this and it came out super tasty. None of the ingredients are difficult to find and it was so easy.

I'm now ready for an apprenticeship in a good Chinese restaurant.

Thanks, Ah Leung, for sharing this really great recipe, I'll be making it often!

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      Wowotou buns ( 窝窝头 wō wō tóu), also known more simply as wō tóu are originally from northern China. The name means "nest" and they come in many forms. These are the ones I use. As you can see, they are usually stuffed with whatever the cook decides. These are stuffed with spicy pork and pickled greens, but I've also served them with a seafood stuffing.

This is the recipe I usually use.

窝窝头

350 grams all-purpose/plain flour
      150 grams black soya bean flour
      3 grams instant yeast
      260 grams  milk

Mix the flours well, dissolve the yeast in the milk and stir into the flour until a dough forms. Knead the dough until smooth. Cover with plastic
      wrap and leave in a warm place until double in size.

Sprinkle flour on the chopping board, knead the dough, adding more flour if too wet. until all air is expelled and the dough has a smooth surface.

Form the dough into six even-sized balls and rub between the palms until smooth and round. Flatten slightly, then use your thumb to press the dough into a nest shape.

Steam covered for 30-35 minutes.

Note: The flours used vary a lot. Corn or sorghum flours are very popular, but I don't like corn and sorghum isn't the easiest to find here in southern China. Use what you like, but the overall quantity for this recipe should be 500 grams. It has been suggested that pure corn flour is too sticky, so probably best to mix it with regular wheat flour.

They freeze well.

Recipe adapted from 念念不忘的面食  by 刘哲菲 (Unforgettable Wheat Foods by Liu Zhefei). This isn't a direct translation, but retelling of the gist. Any errors are mine. Not Ms. Liu's.
    • By liuzhou
      This arose from this topic, where initially @Anna N asked about tea not being served at the celebratory meal I attended. I answered that it is uncommon for tea to be served with meals (with one major exception). I was then asked for further elucidation by @Smithy. I did start replying on the topic but the answer got longer than I anticipated and was getting away from the originally intended topic about one specific meal. So here were are..

I'd say there are four components to tea drinking in China.

a) When you arrive at a restaurant, you are often given a pot of tea which people will sip while contemplating the menu and waiting for other  guests to arrive. Dining out is very much a group activity, in the main. When everyone is there and the food dishes start to arrive the tea is nearly always forgotten about. The tea served like this will often be a fairly cheap, common brand - usually green.

You also may be given a cup of tea in a shop if your purchase is a complicated one. I recently bought a new lap top and the shop assistant handed me tea to sip as she took down the details of my requirements. Also, I recently had my eyes re-tested in order to get new spectacles. Again, a cup of tea was provided. Visit someone in an office or have a formal meeting and tea or water will be provided.

b) You see people walking about with large flasks (not necessarily vacuum flasks) of tea which they sip during the day to rehydrate themselves. Taxi drivers, bus drivers, shop keepers etc all have their tea flask.  Of course, the tea goes cold. I have a vacuum flask, but seldom use it - not a big tea fan. There are shops just dedicated to selling the drinks flasks.

c) There has been a recent fashion for milk tea and bubble tea here, two trends imported from Hong Kong and Taiwan respectively. It is sold from kiosks and mainly attracts younger customers. McDonald's and KFC both do milk and bubble teas.

Bubble and Milk Tea Stall

And Another

And another - there are hundreds of them around!

McDonald's Ice Cream and Drinks Kiosk.

McDonald's Milk Tea Ad

d) There are very formal tea tastings and tea ceremonies, similar in many ways to western wine tastings. These usually take place in tea houses where you can sample teas and purchase the tea for home use. These places can be expensive and some rare teas attract staggering prices. The places doing this pride themselves on preparing the tea perfectly and have their special rituals. I've been a few times, usually with friends, but it's not really my thing. Below is one of the oldest serious tea houses in the city. As you can see, they don't go out of their way to attract custom. Their name implies they are an educational service as much as anything else. Very expensive!

Tea House

Supermarkets and corner shops carry very little tea. This is the entire tea shelving in my local supermarket. Mostly locally grown green tea.

Local Guangxi Tea

The most expensive in the supermarket was this Pu-er Tea (普洱茶 pǔ ěr chá) from Yunnan province. It works out at ¥0.32per gram as opposed to ¥0.08 for the local stuff. However, in the tea houses, prices can go much, much higher!

• By liuzhou
      Today, I was honoured to be invited to lunch in a relatively nearby Miao village, where they were celebrating their good harvest.

Before we could eat we were entertained by the some of the villagers.

These women sang to us.

Some men played their traditional Lusheng instruments.

Then they had a tug-of war between the men and the women. The women won (but there were twice as many women as men!)

Most people just hung around looking good in their best leisure wear.

Finally, we were seated at a table, but before we could eat, we had to toast each other.

These were some of my table companions. Old friends.

Each table was furnished with two dips. On the left chilli, coriander/cilantro, Chinese chives in soy and sesame oil. On the right, duck's blood with chilli. 

Kou Rou - Roasted, then steamed pork belly and taro.

Chicken

If not this chap I had met earlier, then one of his relations.

Chicken and duck giblets stir-fried with vegetables.

Duck - Note beak on left so you are sure what you are eating.

Deep fried carp

Steamed Shrimp

Water Spinach

People watching people eating!

Neighbouring Table

All very amusing

• By liuzhou
      A few days ago, I was given a lovely gift. A big jar of preserved lemons.

I know Moroccan preserved lemons, but had never met Chinese ones. In fact, apart from in the south, in many parts of China it isn't that easy to find lemons, at all.

These are apparently a speciality of the southern Zhuang minority of Wuming County near Nanning. The Zhuang people are the largest ethnic minority in China and most live in Guangxi. These preserved lemons feature in their diet and are usually eaten with congee (rice porridge). Lemon Duck is a local speciality and they are also served with fish. They can be served as a relish, too. They are related to the Vietnamese Chanh muối.

I'm told that these particular lemons have been soaking in salt and lemon juice for eleven years!

So, of course, you want to know what they taste like. Incredibly lemony. Concentrated lemonness. Sour, but not unpleasantly so. Also a sort of smoky flavour.

The following was provided by my dear friend 马芬洲 (Ma Fen Zhou) who is herself Zhuang. It is posted with her permission.

How to Make Zhuang Preserved Lemons
      By 马芬洲

Zhuang preserved lemons is a kind of common food for the southern Zhuang ethnic minority who live around Nanning Prefecture of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region in China. The Zhuang people like to make it as a relish for eating with congee or congee with corn powder. This relish is a mixture of chopped preserved lemons, red chilli and garlic or ginger slice in soy sauce and peanut oil or sesame oil.

Sometimes the Zhuang people use preserved lemons as an ingredient in cooking. The most famous Zhuang food in Guangxi is Lemon Duck, which is a common home cooked dish in Wuming County, which belongs to Nanning Prefecture.

The following steps show you how to make Zhuang preserved lemons.

Step 1 Shopping
      Buy some green lemons.

Step 2 Cleaning
      Wash green lemons.

Step 3 Sunning
      Leave green lemons under the sunshine till it gets dry.

Step 4 Salting
      If you salt 5kg green lemons, mix 0.25kg salt with green lemons. Keep the salted green lemons in a transparent jar. The jar must be well sealed. Leave the jar under the sunshine till the salted green lemons turn yellow. For example, leave it on the balcony. Maybe it will take months to wait for those salted green lemons to turn yellow. Later, get the jar of salted yellow lemons back. Unseal the jar. Then cover 1kg salt over the salted yellow lemons. Seal well the jar again.

Step 5 Preserving
      Keep the sealed jar of salted yellow lemons at least 3 years. And the colour of salted yellow lemons will turn brown day by day. It can be dark brown later. The longer you keep preserved lemons, the better taste it is. If you eat it earlier than 2 years, it will taste bitter. After 3 years, it can be unsealed. Please use clean chopsticks to pick it. Don’t use oily chopsticks, or the oil will make preserved lemons go bad. Remember to seal the jar well after picking preserved lemons every time.

• By liuzhou
      Perhaps the food-related question I get asked most through my blog is “What's it like for vegetarians and vegans in China. The same question came up recently on another thread, so I put this together. Hope it's useful. It would also, be great to hear other people's experience and solutions.

For the sake of typing convenience I’m going to conflate 'vegetarians and vegan' into just 'vegetarian' except where strictly relevant.

First a declaration of non-interest. I am very carnivorous, but I have known vegetarians who have passed through China, some staying only a few weeks, others staying for years. Being vegetarian in China is a complicated issue. In some ways, China is probably one of the best countries in which to be vegetarian. In other ways, it is one of the worst.

I spent a couple of years in Gorbachev-era Russia and saw the empty supermarkets and markets. I saw people line up for hours to buy a bit of bread.. So, when I first came to China, I kind of expected the same. Instead, the first market I visited astounded me. The place was piled high with food, including around 30 different types of tofu, countless varieties of steamed buns and flat breads and scores of different vegetables, both fresh and preserved, most of which I didn't recognise. And so cheap I could hardly convert into any western currency. If you are able to self-cater then China is heaven for vegetarians. For short term visitors dependent on restaurants or street food, the story is very different.

Despite the perception of a Buddhist tradition (not that strong, actually), very few Chinese are vegetarian and many just do not understand the concept. Explaining in a restaurant that you don't eat meat is no guarantee that you won't be served meat.

Meat is seen in China as a status symbol. If you are rich, you eat more meat.And everyone knows all foreigners are rich, so of course they eat meat! Meat eating is very much on the rise as China gets more rich - even to the extent of worrying many economists, food scientists etc. who fear the demand is pushing up prices and is environmentally dangerous. But that's another issue. Obesity is also more and more of a problem.
      Banquet meals as served in large hotels and banquet dedicated restaurants will typically have a lot more meat dishes than a smaller family restaurant. Also the amount of meat in any dish will be greater in the banquet style places.

Traditional Chinese cooking is/was very vegetable orientated. I still see my neighbours come home from the market with their catch of greenery every morning. However, whereas meat wasn't the central component of dinner, it was used almost as a condiment or seasoning. Your stir fried tofu dish may come with a scattering of ground pork on top, for example. This will not usually be mentioned on the menu.
      Simple stir fried vegetables are often cooked in lard (pig fat) to 'improve' the flavour.

Another problem is that the Chinese word for meat (肉), when used on its own refers to pork. Other meats are specified, eg (beef) is 牛肉, literally cattle meat. What this means is that when you say you don't eat meat, they often think you mean you don't eat pork (something they do understand from the Chinese Muslim community), so they rush off to the kitchen and cook you up some stir fried chicken! I've actually heard a waitress saying to someone that chicken isn't meat. Also, few Chinese wait staff or cooks seem to know that ham is pig meat. I have also had a waitress argue ferociously with me that the unasked for ham in a dish of egg fried rice wasn't meat.

Also, Chinese restaurant dishes are often given have really flowery, poetic names which tell you nothing of the contents. Chinese speakers have to ask. One dish on my local restaurant menu reads “Maternal Grandmother's Fluttering Fragrance.” It is, of course, spicy pork ribs!
      Away from the tourist places, where you probably don't want to be eating anyway, very few restaurants will have translations of any sort. Even the best places' translations will be indecipherable. I have been in restaurants where they have supplied an “English menu”, but if I didn't know Chinese would have been unable to order anything. It was gibberish.

To go back to Buddhism and Taoism, it is a mistake to assume that genuine followers of either (or more usually a mix of the two) are necessarily vegetarian. Many Chinese Buddhists are not. In fact, the Dalai Lama states in his autobiography that he is not vegetarian. It would be very difficult to survive in Tibet on a vegetarian diet.

There are vegetarian restaurants in many places (although the ones around where I am never seem to last more than six months). In the larger cities such as Beijing and Shanghai they are more easily findable.

Curiously, many of these restaurants make a point of emulating meat dishes. The menu reads like any meat using restaurant, but the “meat” is made from vegetable substitutes (often wheat gluten or konjac based).

To be continued