• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hzrt8w

Pictorial: Imperial Shrimp (Garlic/Tomato Sauce)

21 posts in this topic

Imperial Shrimp (Shrimp with Chili, Garlic and Tomato Sauce) (乾燒蝦)

This is a "Mandarin" style (Beijing/Sichuan) dish using hot chili, chili bean sauce, garlic and tomato sauce to stir-fry shrimp. The recipe was learned from the same reputable chef. The dish was another best seller in his restaurant. This dish may carry many names: Imperial Shrimp, Mandarin Shrimp, Peking Shrimp or other non-descriptive English names. The Chinese name: 乾燒蝦, which means dry-cooked shrimp, may be more meaningful.

Serving suggestion: 2

gallery_19795_1985_35475.jpg

Main ingredients: Medium size shrimp (with shell), about 1 1/4 lb. Other ingredients include garlic, ginger, chili bean sauce, tomato sauce, chicken broth (not shown) and some seasonings (not shown).

gallery_19795_1985_10590.jpg

Shell each shrimp: trim off the head. Use your fingers to peel off the shell. Use a chef knief or utility knief to make a cut about half-way through along the back of the shrimp. Devein. Rinse under running water.

It is much easier to shell and devein the shrimp with a small utility knief under the running water with a bin underneath.

You may save the shrimp heads and shells to make stock. I usually use them to make a stock, and add some miso paste and cubed tofu to make miso soup. Or add some Thai Tom Yum soup paste, a few pieces of shrimp and some sliced button mushrooms to make Thai style soup.

gallery_19795_1985_21636.jpg

Marinate the shrimp: In general, seafood is very delicate. Do not use heavy sauces (such as soy sauce and oyster sauce) to marinate seafood.

Add deshelled/deveined shrimp to a small mixing bowl. Add 1/4 tsp of salt, 2 tsp of cooking oil and 2 tsp of corn starch.

gallery_19795_1985_15206.jpg

Mix all ingredients well. Set aside for about 20 minutes before cooking.

gallery_19795_1985_1203.jpg

Meanwhile, prepare the aromatics. Use about a 1-inch cut of ginger, 4 to 5 cloves of garlic, and 1 to 2 stalks of green onion.

gallery_19795_1985_3633.jpg

Use a grater to grate the ginger. Peel and mince the garlic. Trim the ends of the green onions and finely chop.

gallery_19795_1985_32795.jpg

When ready to cook: use a wok/pan, set stove to high setting, add 3 tblsp of cooking oil. Wait until oil is hot, add the marinated shrimp. Cook until the color of shrimp turns from light grey to white and orange red, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from pan and drain. Discard the oil.

gallery_19795_1985_18311.jpg

Use the same pan, maintain stove setting at high, add 2 tblsp of cooking oil. Wait until oil heats up and just starts fuming. Add the shredded ginger and minced garlic. Add 1 to 1.5 tsp of chili bean sauce. Add 1 tsp of chili sauce. (Note: if you like hot and spicy food, you may add more chili sauce to taste.) No need to add extra salt because the chili bean sauce is very salty and the shrimp has already been salted.

gallery_19795_1985_12887.jpg

Stir well. Cook for about 15 seconds. Dash in 2 tsp of white vinegar and 1 tsp of Shao Hsing cooking wine.

gallery_19795_1985_16075.jpg

Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth, 1/2 can (small 8-oz can) of tomato sauce, and 3 tsp of sugar. Stir well. Bring the mixture to a boil. Use a small amount of corn starch slurry (suggest: 1/2 tsp corn starch dissolved in 2 tsp of water) to thicken the sauce to the right consistency.

gallery_19795_1985_5875.jpg

Re-add the pre-cooked shrimp. Stir well.

gallery_19795_1985_18250.jpg

Continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes until shrimp is reheated. Finished.

gallery_19795_1985_15469.jpg

Transfer to the dinner plate. Add the chopped green onions on top to add flavor and to serve as a garnish.

The finished dish.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

awesome! I love this dish. I used some of your techniques for a stir-fry tonight with variations. It came out pretty well. Thanks again for taking the time and putting in the effort to do this.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

These pictorials are so amazing. Thank you, hzrt8w! I have yet to try any of the dishes, but with the weather what it is now, it should be a good weekend to stay home and cook. I'll have to give this one a try.

Jennie

As always, the dish looks great and I'm sure it tasted even better! But the heads....I so wish you left them on since they're my favorite....It's the Chinese in me that mourns for them.... :wink:

Well, the Chili Udang Galah (kind of like big langoustines, also called lobster shrimp and such-like) that I used to get at the "home cooking" Chinese restaurant in Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia, used shrimp with the shells and head on, so that's just another way to do things.

When are you going to invite me to your house, Ah Leung? :laugh::raz:

hzrt - another great one! I wonder why it is called 'gan' when it is fairly saucy.

Would you show what your ginger grater looks like?

One last thing. When you do your book, you will be showing not only that you don't have tomuse a wok to do fantastic Chinese food, but you don't need a big cleaver either! Conventional tools -- fantabulous food!

As always, the dish looks great and I'm sure it tasted even better! But the heads....I so wish you left them on since they're my favorite....It's the Chinese in me that mourns for them.... :wink:

Thank you all for your support! And Michael: My kitchen door will always be open for you! :laugh:

Anna: I agree that the "authentic" Chinese way would probably leave the shell and heads on when cooking shrimp. They cook this dish with the shells on in China. But in the USA, all the restaurants I had been to ordering this dish made it with deshelled shrimp.

You may certainly cook it with the shell/head on. Just skip the marination step. No need to marinate the shell! :wink:

hzrt - another great one! I wonder why it is called 'gan' when it is fairly saucy.

.....Would you show what your ginger grater looks like?

.....One last thing. When you do your book, you will be showing not only that you don't have tomuse a wok to do fantastic Chinese food, but you don't need a big cleaver either! Conventional tools -- fantabulous food!

jo-mel: I think it is called "gan" because the shrimp is the main and "only" ingredient, not cooked with any vegetable or anything else. I may be off on this.

The grater that I use is an old-fashioned, "one facet" cheese grater with 2 blade/hole sizes. I use the 1/8-inch blades/holes to grate ginger. I don't like using the 4-facet cheese graters. They don't work too well for me.

I don't have a wok, but I do have a cleaver. :smile: However, I much rather use a small chef knief to do most of my cutting/chopping. It is much lighter and much easier to handle. I reserve the cleaver for chopping whole chicken only, cooked or raw. Nothing like chopping flesh and bones with a heavy, sharp cleaver. (Uh oh, do I sound like a psychotic? :laugh: )

A wok and a cleaver have long been associated with traditional Chinese cooking. I have a feeling that if I ever find a publisher to print my cookbook, he/she will demand that I demonstrate all cutting techniques with a cleaver and cook everything on a wok! For showmanship sake. :smile:

This is one of my favorite dishes!!

I can't keep up with you Ah Leung, you are going too fast! :biggrin: I am never going to get all of these made....

<p><strong>Kristin Wagner</strong>, aka "torakris"

Manager, Membership

<a class="bbc_email" href="mailto:kwagner@egstaff.org" title="E-mail Link">kwagner@egstaff.org</a></p>

Just to add:

If you unshell the shrimp to cook this dish: You may save the shrimp heads and shells to make stock. I usually use them to make a stock, and add some miso paste and cubed tofu to make miso soup. Or add some Thai Tom Yum soup paste, a few pieces of shrimp and some sliced button mushrooms to make Thai style soup.

Just to add:

If you peel the shrimp to cook this dish:  You may save the shrimp heads and shells to make stock.  I usually use them to make a stock, and add some miso paste and cubed tofu to make miso soup.  Or add some Thai Tom Yum soup paste, a few pieces of shrimp and some sliced button mushrooms to make Thai style soup.

This dish is very popular in many types of Restaurants in Hong Kong. In order to make ours taste better we would take a batch of Shrimp Heads, Bodies and all the trimming accumulated and heat up some oil in a large Wok and stir fry them all until they changed colors and started to get Red, after covering them put into the hot pan a cup of Shao Hsing Wine letting it boil together until the steam quieted down, then strain the oil and discard the Shrimp Shells [to our waiting staff] and glaze the hot pan bottom with some supreme stock letting it cook down and put into a container after mixing it with some Tomato Paste to use as a Shrimp/Tomato Base by adding several spoonfuls to every order about 30/40 seconds before it was served to customers.

If we had lots of Crab Shells they would be Incorporated as well into the base after being prepared the same way.

In our European Style, American Restaurants we would save all our shrimp and prawn shells and heads to incorporate into a base for dishes like Shrimp Scampi by preparing the shells in the same style using Chablis then reducing the base and adding it to a Chicken/Pork Glacé de Villande again adding a spoonful to every order of Scampi just before serving to customers.

This works very well at home or in any Restaurant serving these types of menu items.

Irwin

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Ma used to prepare this dish using unpeeled larger shrimps. She also kept the heads. I made this dish several times using crayfish/crawfish/crawdad' (if yaw from the South).

Leave the gun, take the canoli

.....Would you show what your ginger grater looks like?

.....One last thing. When you do your book, you will be showing not only that you don't have tomuse a wok to do fantastic Chinese food, but you don't need a big cleaver either! Conventional tools -- fantabulous food!

jo-mel: I think it is called "gan" because the shrimp is the main and "only" ingredient, not cooked with any vegetable or anything else. I may be off on this.

The grater that I use is an old-fashioned, "one facet" cheese grater with 2 blade/hole sizes. I use the 1/8-inch blades/holes to grate ginger. I don't like using the 4-facet cheese graters. They don't work too well for me.

I don't have a wok, but I do have a cleaver. :smile: However, I much rather use a small chef knief to do most of my cutting/chopping. It is much lighter and much easier to handle. I reserve the cleaver for chopping whole chicken only, cooked or raw. Nothing like chopping flesh and bones with a heavy, sharp cleaver. (Uh oh, do I sound like a psychotic? :laugh: )

A wok and a cleaver have long been associated with traditional Chinese cooking. I have a feeling that if I ever find a publisher to print my cookbook, he/she will demand that I demonstrate all cutting techniques with a cleaver and cook everything on a wok! For showmanship sake. :smile:

That's the same grater I use. And I don't bother to peel the ginger. I use that same guage grater for garlic, too, ----when I want a fine mince. I don't peel the garlic. I just pick off the tip with my fingernails and grate away.

One of my cleavers is very narrow - about 1 1/2 inches across a regular length blade. I use it alot for light stuff.

If a publisher starts in on you, just tell him not to question a Master Chef!!

Another winner, hzrt8w!. One small request, though: When you show the bottles of ingredients, would you please turn the bottles so the English description/name is showing to the camera? Some jars of imported Chinese ingredients seem to have Chinese on one side and English on the other.

Thanks again, and don't stop!

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

...One small request, though: When you show the bottles of ingredients, would you please turn the bottles so the English description/name is showing to the camera?

Thanks, Jay! Sure, you got it! I will do that going forward. Thanks for pointing it out. The Chinese side of my brain typically won over the English side. :raz: Many things to improve on these pictures. :smile:

Yeah, I was going to mention about it too. Some put chopped onions to make this dish. It brings out the taste by a notch. :smile:

I notice you made a lot of sauce ("jup") with the dish. Well, a lot to me. That means you must cook a lot of rice to use up the sauce, ehh?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I notice you made a lot of sauce ("jup") with the dish. Well, a lot to me. That means you must cook a lot of rice to use up the sauce, ehh?

Not necessarily rice....toast is great for soaking up all that jup, especially, shellfish jup. Or deep-fried mantou.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I use ketchup instead of tomato paste. It comes out tasting a little sweeter.

Oh my, this dish is fantastic! Even though I'm in the midwest (and don't think there is anywhere in the city to get such flavorful shrimp with heads on), was able to make this and it came out super tasty. None of the ingredients are difficult to find and it was so easy.

I'm now ready for an apprenticeship in a good Chinese restaurant.

Thanks, Ah Leung, for sharing this really great recipe, I'll be making it often!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      One of my local supermarkets recently installed a sesame seed pressing facility and is now producing sesame oil and sesame paste. Their equipment toasts and extracts the oil and the residue is turned into the paste. Of course, I bought some of each.

I have only used the oil so far. It tastes and smells more intensely than any I have bought before. The aroma also seems to last longer in a dish.

These are the white seed versions. They also do black seed oil and paste which I haven't bought yet.

Neither has any brand label - only a bar code on the back so that the check-out staff can deal with it.

I am sorely tempted to try this recipe from Carolyn Philips for celtuce with sesame oil, paste and seeds. I'll let you know how I get on with this or any other recipe. Suggestions welcome, as always.
    • By liuzhou
      I think you’ll see in a moment why I didn’t just post this on the Lunch! topic. It was exceptional. An epic and it has been an epic sorting through the 634 photographs I took in about three hours. If I counted correctly, there are only 111 here.

Like so many things, it came out of the blue. I was kind of aware that there was a Chinese holiday this week, but being self-semi-employed I am often a man of leisure and the holidays make little impact on my life. This one is in celebration of the Dragon Boat Festival (端午节 duān wǔ jié) and although it features nothing boat-like, it was festive and there is a dragon link.

It started with this invitation which appeared on my WeChat (Chinese social media) account.

Longtan (龙潭 lóng tán) means Dragon’s Pool and is more of a hamlet. It is about an hour’s drive north of Liuzhou city. I’d never heard of it and certainly never been there, but a friend of a friend had decided that a “foreign friend” would add just the right note to the planned event. I’ve seen many pictures of such “Long Table“ lunches and even attended one before – but this one was different and I was delighted to be invited.

So, I was picked up outside my city centre home at 9 am and the adventure began. We arrived at the village at 9:45 to be met by the friend in question. He led me to what appeared to be the head man’s home, outside which was a large courtyard with a few men sitting at a trestle table seemingly finishing a breakfast of hot, meaty rice porridge washed down with beer or rice wine. I was offered a bowl of the porridge, but declined the beer or rice wine in favour of a cup of tea. After downing that and making introductions etc, I was left to wander around on my own watching all the activity.

Rice Porridge

Here goes. I'm posting these mostly in the order they were taken, in order to give some sense of how the event progressed.

These two men were the undisputed kings of this venture, organising everyone, checking every detail, instructing less  experienced volunteers etc. It was obvious these men had been working since the early hours. and their breakfast was a break in their toil. There were piles of still steaming cooked pork belly in containers all over the courtyard.

Some of this had been the meat in the rice porridge, I learned.

This young lad had been set to chopping chicken. Not one chicken! Dozens.

Entrails, insides and fat were all carefully preserved.

In the meantime, the two masters continued boiling their lumps of pork belly. This they refer to as 五花肉 - literally "five flower" pork", the five flowers being layers of skin, fat and meat.

Another man was dealing with fish. Carp from the village pond. He scaled and cleaned them with his cleaver. Dozens of them. 

And all around, various preparations are being prepared.

Peeling Garlic

Gizzards and intestines.

More Pork . You can see the five layers here.

to be continued

• By Soul_Venom
      The best Chinese food restaurant I have ever been to is a place called the Imperial Buffet in Aberdeen SD. Their General Tso's is unlike the Tso's anywhere else. The closes comparison I could make is the Orange Chicken at the Panda Garden only 3x better. Their Lo-Mein Noodles are done with the skill of a master Italian pasta chef & perfectly seasoned. They also used to do a mean fried squid. I say used to because they had it when I lived in Aberdeen from 02-04 but didn't when I visited in 15'. One of their other discontinued specialties was a dish advertised as 'Golden Fried Cauliflower'. Note, this was NOT a breaded product. The cauliflower was cooked as though it had been boiled perfectly. It was not greasy as I recall but was a golden orange color as was the sauce it was evidently cooked in. I never could identify the flavors in that sauce. I wish I could describe it better but it has been well over a decade since I had it. Is anyone familiar with it or something similar? I can't seem to find anything like it online & all my searches just bring up links to breaded deep-fried crap.
    • By liuzhou
      An old friend from England contacted me yesterday via Facebook with a couple of questions about Five Spice Powder.

Thought there me be some interest here, too.

Is there anything more typically Chinese than five spice powder (五香粉 - wǔ xiāng fěn)?

Well, yes. A lot.

Many years ago, I worked in an office overlooking London’s China town. By around 11 am, the restaurants started getting lunch ready and the smell of FSP blanketed the area for the rest of the day. When I moved to China, I didn’t smell that. Only when I first visited Hong Kong, did I find that smell again.

In fact, FSP is relatively uncommon in most of Chinese cuisine. And if I ever see another internet recipe called “Chinese” whatever, which is actually any random food, but the genius behind it has added FSP, supposedly rendering it Chinese, I’ll scream.

I get all sorts of smells wafting through the neighbourhood. Some mouth-watering; some horrifying. But I don't recall ever that they were FSP.

But what is it anyway? Which five spices?

Today, I bought four samples in four local supermarkets. I would have would have preferred five, but couldn’t find any more. It's not that popular.

First thing to say: none of them had five spices. All had more. That is normal. Numbers in Chinese can often be vague. Every time you hear a number, silently added the word ‘about’ or ‘approximately’. 100 km means “far”, 10,000 means “many”.

Second, while there are some common factors, ingredients can vary quite a bit. Here are my four.

Ingredients – 7

Star Anise, Fennel Seed, Orange Peel, Cassia Bark, Sand Ginger, Dried Ginger, Sichuan Peppercorns.

Ingredients – 6

Cassia Bark, Star Anise, Fennel Seed, Coriander, Sichuan Peppercorn, Licorice Root.

Ingredients – 15

Fennel Seeds, Sichuan Peppercorns, Coriander, Tangerine Peel, Star Anise, Chinese Haw, Cassia Bark, Lesser Galangal, Dahurian Angelica, Nutmeg, Dried Ginger, Black Pepper, Amomum Villosum, Cumin Seeds, Cloves.

Ingredients – 6

Pepper (unspecified – probably black pepper), Sichuan Peppercorns, Star Anise, Fennel Seeds, Nutmeg, Cassia.

So, take your pick. They all taste and smell almost overwhelmingly of the star anise and cassia, although there are subtle differences in taste in the various mixes.

But I don’t expect to find it in many dishes in local restaurants or homes. A quick, unscientific poll of about ten friends today revealed that not one has any at home, nor have they ever used the stuff!

I'm not suggesting that FSP shouldn't be used outside of Chinese food. Please just don't call the results Chinese when you sprinkle it on your fish and chips or whatever. They haven't miraculously become Chinese!

Like my neighbours and friends, I very rarely use it at all.

In fact, I'd be delighted to hear how it is used in other cultures / cuisines.
    • By liuzhou
      For the last several years Cindy's* job has been to look after me. She takes care of my residence papers, my health insurance, my travel, my housing and associated repairs. She makes sure that I am supplied with sufficient cold beer at official banquets. And she does it all with terrific efficiency and great humour.

This weekend she held her wedding banquet.

Unlike in the west, this isn't held immediately after the marriage is formalised. In fact, she was legally married months ago. But the banquet is the symbolic, public declaration and not the soul-less civil servant stamping of papers that the legal part entails.
      So tonight, along with a few hundred other people, I rolled up to a local hotel at the appointed time. In my pocket was my 'hong bao' or red envelope in which I had deposited a suitable cash gift. That is the Chinese wedding gift protocol. You don't get 12 pop-up toasters here.

I handed it over, then settled down, at a table with colleagues, to a 17 or 18 course dinner.

Before we started, I spotted this red bedecked jar. Shaking, poking and sniffing revealed nothing.

A few minutes later, a waitress turned up and opened and emptied the jar into a serving dish. Spicy pickled vegetables. Very vinegary, very hot, and very addictive. Allegedly pickled on the premises, this was just to amuse us as we waited for the real stuff to arrive.

Then the serious stuff arrived. When I said 17 courses, I really meant 17 dishes. Chinese cuisine doesn't really do courses. Every thing is served at roughly the same time. But we had:

Quail soup which I neglected to photograph.

Roast duck

Braised turtle

Sticky rice with beef (the beef is lurking underneath)

Steamed chicken

Spicy, crispy shell-on prawns.

Steamed pork belly slices with sliced taro

Spicy squid

Noodles

Chinese Charcuterie (including ducks jaws (left) and duck hearts (right))

Mixed vegetables

Fish

Cakes

Fertility soup! This allegedly increases your fertility and ensures the first born (in China, only born) is a son. Why they are serving to me is anyone's guess. It would make more sense for the happy couple to drink the lot.

Greenery

Jiaozi

There was a final serving of quartered oranges, but I guess you have seen pictures of oranges before.

The happy couple. I wish them well.

*Cindy is the English name she has adopted. Her Chinese name is more than usually difficult to pronounce. Many Chinese friends consider it a real tongue-twister.