• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lindag

lindag

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I had come to realize my trusty Wusthof 8 inch was no longer cutting it.  OK for a baguette perhaps.  Unfortunately these serrated knifes with pointed tips are no longer in the Wusthof catalog so purchase of a longer one was not a possibility.  They used to be available in several sizes.  The closest I found was the Wusthof 10 inch bread knife:

http://www.wusthof.com/10-bread-knife

But this looked a little flimsy in comparison and there was not much height to the blade with no room for knuckles.  And so I went shopping for another brand of bread knife.

Many of my knives are Chicago Cutlery and they offer several such.  However I have ruled out a "bread knife" with a rounded tip as I believe these are more suited to slicing protein than bread.  Besides I already have a Wusthof 16 inch with a rounded tip.  Worse I have read the quality of Chicago Cutlery has deteriorated over the years.

Last month I bought a Cuisinart electric bread knife as recommended by Modernist Bread.  Unfortunately the Cuisinart does not cut through bread.  Maybe others have had a better experience?

Fat Guy and others have argued for a chef knife but in my hands a chef knife, not even my heavy 12 inch one, can intimidate a hunk of bread.

I checked out the usual suspects and I even found a bread saw.

But what I went with was a Henckels 10 inch that was taller and half again as heavy as the Wusthof.  Though I'm guessing the Wusthof would have had a little harder steel.

Are there any new recommendations?

I have had the Cuisinart electric knife for years and I use it for all my homemade breads except those with a hard crust; you're right, it doesn't handle those very well.  For that I use my Wusthof, it does an excellent job (although it is considerably more expensive now than what it was when I bought mine eight years ago).

lindag

lindag

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I had come to realize my trusty Wusthof 8 inch was no longer cutting it.  OK for a baguette perhaps.  Unfortunately these serrated knifes with pointed tips are no longer in the Wusthof catalog so purchase of a longer one was not a possibility.  They used to be available in several sizes.  The closest I found was the Wusthof 10 inch bread knife:

http://www.wusthof.com/10-bread-knife

But this looked a little flimsy in comparison and there was not much height to the blade with no room for knuckles.  And so I went shopping for another brand of bread knife.

Many of my knives are Chicago Cutlery and they offer several such.  However I have ruled out a "bread knife" with a rounded tip as I believe these are more suited to slicing protein than bread.  Besides I already have a Wusthof 16 inch with a rounded tip.  Worse I have read the quality of Chicago Cutlery has deteriorated over the years.

Last month I bought a Cuisinart electric bread knife as recommended by Modernist Bread.  Unfortunately the Cuisinart does not cut through bread.  Maybe others have had a better experience?

Fat Guy and others have argued for a chef knife but in my hands a chef knife, not even my heavy 12 inch one, can intimidate a hunk of bread.

I checked out the usual suspects and I even found a bread saw.

But what I went with was a Henckels 10 inch that was taller and half again as heavy as the Wusthof.  Though I'm guessing the Wusthof would have had a little harder steel.

Are there any new recommendations?

I have had the Cuisinart electric knife for years and I use it for all my homemade breads except those with a hard crust; you're right, it doesn't handle those very well.  For that I use my Wusthof, it does an excellent job.