• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

I have tried numerous "bread" knives. Most are not long enough for my liking.  I have stuck with the Dexter Russell roast slicer for well over 20 years.  

They saw through hard, crusty loaves as easily as through brioche and with just as fine a precision.

I used to buy them at Smart & Final for  10.99 initially, then they went up to 14.99, sometimes they could be found cheaper online but there was shipping cost.

Now they are  $19.79  on Amazon.  And free shipping.   Read the reviews.

By the way, I will be selling my big Wusthof two-handle cheese knife with the 12 3/4" blade.  If interested, PM me.  I never really used it on any hard cheese, just once to see how it worked on Caerphilly. 

andiesenji

andiesenji

I have tried numerous "bread" knives. Most are not long enough for my liking.  I have stuck with the Dexter Russell roast slicer for well over 20 years.  

They saw through hard, crusty loaves as easily as through brioche and with just as fine a precision.

I used to buy them at Smart & Final for  10.99 initially, then they went up to 14.99, sometimes they could be found cheaper online but there was shipping cost.

Now they are  $19.79  on Amazon.  And free shipping.   Read the reviews.