• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

MGLloyd said:
That actually looks like a 12 inch roast slicer.  Was it labeled and sold as a bread knife?

It is sold in a plastic hanger "bag" and labeled as a "12 " scalloped slicer"

has it with the Sani-Safe handle, like mine, for 11.25.

Note: Some makers give the overall length of the knife and handle, which can be confusing.

I ordered a 12 inch bread knife that had a slightly less than 8 inch blade. I returned it.

I saw this knife in use at a local bakery, cutting horizontal slices from a sourdough boule and asked where he had found it. He said Smart & Final had them on a hanger display near the back of the store so I stopped in on my way home and bought one. I love it.

I have several ham slicers and roast slicers which work fine on dense meats. However, this is the only knife I have ever found that works equally well on hard crusts and soft crumb.

I also have Wusthof, F. Dick, Lamson Sharp and Messermeister bread knives.

The 12 1/2" made by F. Dick works as well but I paid a discounted price of 89.50 for it. The best price I have seen recently is 102.95.

andiesenji

andiesenji

That actually looks like a 12 inch roast slicer.  Was it labeled and sold as a bread knife?

It is sold in a plastic hanger "bag" and labeled as a "12 " scalloped slicer"

This site: Dexter Russell knives

has it with the Sani-Safe handle, like mine, for 11.25.

Note: Some makers give the overall length of the knife and handle, which can be confusing.

I ordered a 12 inch bread knife that had a slightly less than 8 inch blade. I returned it.

I saw this knife in use at a local bakery, cutting horizontal slices from a sourdough boule and asked where he had found it. He said Smart & Final had them on a hanger display near the back of the store so I stopped in on my way home and bought one. I love it.

I have several ham slicers and roast slicers which work fine on dense meats. However, this is the only knife I have ever found that works equally well on hard crusts and soft crumb.

I also have Wusthof, F. Dick, Lamson Sharp and Messermeister bread knives.

The 12 1/2" made by F. Dick works as well but I paid a discounted price of 89.50 for it. The best price I have seen recently is 102.95.