• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Makeover - Food Network's new show

Lazrowp

I tuned into the Food Network's new show “Restaurant Makeover.” The show was hilarious! I think the show has some interesting potential. A designer and chef came into a six year old greasy spoon operation and told the owner that they will match the amount that the restaurant owner could put up (the owner put up $14,000 herself), and they would re-designed the space and help the kitchen staff improve the menu / operations.

On this 30 minute episode the kitchen staff was shown as not caring at all what the chef was trying to show them and the owner wasn’t comfortable with the new design. At the end, the screen flashed an update: after the Food Network Team had departed the owner sold some of the furniture, and repainted the colorful space black.

Why didn't the owner participate in the redesign process? It seemed like a wasted opportunity for the restaurant owner.

猿も木から落ちる - Saru mo ki kara ochiru

(Even monkeys can fall from a tree)

Why didn't the owner participate in the redesign process?  It seemed like a wasted opportunity for the restaurant owner.

This is the 2nd year of the show up here (now an hour). I watch it occasionally... and I don't get the sense that the restaurant owner actually gets any say in the design. It seems more like a "we'll show you what you should do with your restaurant because we know we're right" situation.

Why didn't the owner participate in the redesign process?  It seemed like a wasted opportunity for the restaurant owner.

This is the 2nd year of the show up here (now an hour). I watch it occasionally... and I don't get the sense that the restaurant owner actually gets any say in the design. It seems more like a "we'll show you what you should do with your restaurant because we know we're right" situation.

Thats quite a leap of faith for the owner!

猿も木から落ちる - Saru mo ki kara ochiru

(Even monkeys can fall from a tree)

Thats quite a leap of faith for the owner!

True. Like with all reality shows, who knows what goes on behind the camera. But is seems like it's one of those surprise shows. They let them see it after demo - but then they bring them in at the end.

You are also certainly wittnessing the beauty of tv editing. Just because *they* don't show it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

In regards to the Grapefruit Moon makeover- there are many piles to sort through to find out the real story going on there.

This show was a great example though of how not to be a designer. She made the mistake of designing to her own desires, not what suited the restaurant and its clientel. Grapefruit Moon is in reference to a Tom Waits song, which kind of adds to the dark, cozy feel the owner wanted in her restaurant. I don't think that goes hand in hand with an interior reminiscent of Miami in its color choices.

The restaurant did need help though, don't get me wrong. However, it needed an upgrade, not a make-over.

There is an interesting interview here with the owner of the restaurant about this tv experience. In a nutshell there's alot of sour grapes involved, but the owner has some great points about what you don't see in the tv show.

flavor floozy

I found the show quite interesting. A major step up given what the US TVFN serves up these days (several shows notwithstanding).

I certainly didn't like that the designer completely ignored the owner's wishes. Too much of the same shenanigans that one sees on Trading Spaces/Changing Rooms in that regard. I definitely think it was a miss on the design.

Having said all of that, I too would have be so pissed off if I was that consulting chef and the kitchen staff couldn't at least pretend to give a rat's behind about trying to improve the food.

I watched in horror as they completely ignored the whole vibe and everything the owner said and did as they damn well pleased. It was obvious 5 minutes in that she was NOT going to be pleased with the result.

As for the chef, he was a bit full of himself and, while I'm sure it was frustrating to be ignored, he also didn't pay any attention to what the regulars liked and didn't. If I were making over a menu, I would find out what was broken and concentrate on that. When the unchef said "we sell tons of that" that was probably a cue to leave it alone and work on something else.

I don't make a habit of watching makeover tv but those shows I have seen at least take into account the owners wishes, style, interests, etc and try to weave them into the "after" look. It almost seemed like these two were trying to impose their will on the restaurant, its owner, staff and patrons. It seems obvious that people who were willing to venture into Grapefruit Moon repeatedly would not appreciate the new look.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher