• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef of the Year!

Matt R.

Coming up is the Vancouver Island Chef of the Year competition, middle of November, I think.

As far as I know, this event is organized by the CCFCC. I have been unable to locate any info on this event on the Web, so I was hoping some faithful eGulleteers might have the inside scoop. Mostly, I want to know who is competing, and what they are making. Are there tickets for this someplace? Sounds like a fun afternoon.

By the way, is there a corresponding Vancouver event?

-- Matt.

hi matt r. - this is what i know:

November 6 – Vancouver Island Chef of the Year Competition

Inaugural event put on by the Canadian Culinary Federation (CCF) Victoria branch. Ten Chefs have been selected from entries open to all professional chefs and cooks resident on Vancouver Island. Their task involves incorporating Island products in a four course dinner menu for 10 people – the winner receives a $1000 cash prize and the illustrious Chef of the Year title.

Camosun College, Interurban Campus. $100.00.

598 5817 or mikepitre@shaw.ca

i also know they're trying to get local wineries to match wines with the courses - should be an interesting event.

hi matt r. - this is what i know:

November 6 – Vancouver Island Chef of the Year Competition

Inaugural event put on by the Canadian Culinary Federation (CCF) Victoria branch. Ten Chefs have been selected from entries open to all professional chefs and cooks resident on Vancouver Island. Their task involves incorporating Island products in a four course dinner menu for 10 people – the winner receives a $1000 cash prize and the illustrious Chef of the Year title.

Camosun College, Interurban Campus.  $100.00.

598 5817 or mikepitre@shaw.ca

i also know they're trying to get local wineries to match wines with the courses - should be an interesting event.

Who dines at the four courser? The judges?

And I can't resist, is there a swimsuit category again this year?

I always wondered if they had a "menu writing" category to these sorts of competitions. I personally think it's a challenge to describe your masterpiece in a way that makes customers salivate and make "mm" noises.

Food, in a restaurant - it seems - has to sound good when read off a menu and of course the usual smell/look and taste.

"Lightly whipped molten cream encased in a golden cake cooked to perfection"

(Microwaved Twinkie)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I always wondered if they had a "menu writing" category to these sorts of competitions.  I personally think it's a challenge to describe your masterpiece in a way that makes customers salivate and make "mm" noises. 

Food, in a restaurant - it seems - has to sound good when read off a menu and of course the usual smell/look and taste. 

"Lightly whipped molten cream encased in a golden cake cooked to perfection"

(Microwaved Twinkie)

[Verbed] to perfection is on my personal Strengst Verboten list. I am seeking to have it banned by Federal law in the next Parliamentary session. Punishment for breaking this law will include public humiliation on eGullet and attendance at a 15-hour Remedial Menu-Writing Community Service Program, available in major metropolitan centres in Canada, or by Distance Learning for rural offenders.

ETA: I believe truth in advertising prohibits the use of the word "cream" in a Twinkie description, too, Wes! :wink:

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

[Verbed] to perfection is on my personal Strengst Verboten list. I am seeking to have it banned by Federal law in the next Parliamentary session. Punishment for breaking this law will include public humiliation on eGullet and attendance at a 15-hour Remedial Menu-Writing Community Service Program, available in major metropolitan centres in Canada, or by Distance Learning for rural offenders.

ETA: I believe truth in advertising prohibits the use of the word "cream" in a Twinkie description, too, Wes! :wink:

Ha! I've been exposed for the sham I am. "To perfection" is such a ridiculous term. If it was in fact done to perfection I guess one wouldn't have to mention that. Actually considering I'm advertising a twinkie I really should be excused from all crimes of embellishment.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Just spoke to Gilbert Noussiteau who is one of the judges and he gave me this year's line up.

Here is the basic concept:

10 teams (Chef Competitor and helper), prep and cook a four course meal for 10.

There will be 8 tables of 10 paying guests. Each table will get 10 different plates at each course.

There will be 2 teams of judges: 1 team for judging the kitchen work from a professional perspective and 1 team for judging the final product from the customer's perspective

The following Chefs have been selected to participate this year:

GERT VOIGHD from GLOW RESTAURANT, Nanaimo

JEFF KEENLISIDE from OAK BAY MARINA RESTAURANT , Victoria

JASON MACISAAC from POINT-NO-POINT , Sooke

JACK VANDERHORST from VICTORIA MARRIOTT HOTEL , Victoria

STEVE WALKER from SIMPLY ELEGANT CUISINE & SEC's on the Square

PAUL STEWART from CHURCH & STATE WINES , Victoria

JAMES MCCLELLAN from FIRESIDE GRILL , Victoria

ADAM CARTER from UNION CLUB OF BC , Victoria

RONALD ST-PIERRE from KINGFISHER OCEAN RESORT & SPA , Courtenay

CORY CRANE from LONGWOOD BREW PUB , Nanaimo

Tickets for the dinner are $100/person and include a champagne reception, 4-course meal and wine.

Call Mike Pitre at (250) 883-9996 or mikepitre@shaw.ca to reserve your space.

Edited by shelora (log)

An excerpt from the CCF Victoria Sponsored Chef of the Year Competition

The Canadian Culinary Federation Victoria Branch is holding a cooking competition open to all Chefs of Vancouver Island to award them with the Chef of the Year Award. This event will take place Nov.6th at Camosun College Interurban Campus.

We request that the applicant is a resident and is employed on Vancouver Island and that they incorporate island products into their menu. The menu has to be for a four-course dinner for ten persons, with no logos, no advertising, or identity on the menu.

The format will be a blind numbered judging process. Menu will be judged by a panel of a select team of nationally acclaimed judges. The menus will be judged on composition, taste and presentation.

What the competitors will receive is exposure for their establishment and them selves from the dinner guests as well as the media.

Prizes will be awarded for: 1st Place: $1000 plus trophy for being Chef of Year

2nd Place: $ 700 plus medal

3rd Place: $ 300 plus medal

The Chef must submit an application and $25 non-refundable application fee before August 12th 2005, a menu for 4 courses and if chosen supply all food required to serve 10 people.

The Chef may bring any special equipment and one helper, apprentice or Sous chef. All chefs will use the Camosun College Cooking Facilities.

The 10 finalists will be chosen and contacted in the second week of September with criteria and exact rules.

Please submit application, menu and fee (cheques made payable to CCF Victoria)

To: CCF Victoria Branch

1471 Finlayson Place

Victoria BC

V8T 2V8

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

• 2 weeks later...

JEFF KEENLISIDE from OAK BAY MARINA RESTAURANT , Victoria

JASON MACISAAC from POINT-NO-POINT , Sooke

JACK VANDERHORST from VICTORIA MARRIOTT HOTEL , Victoria

I believe these three were the winners, 1, 3 and 2 in that order.

Having worked with the first and second place winners before, I can attest to their drive, skill, passion and genuine interest they show in their craft. I'm sure it was a memorable event for all competitors, and I hope someone can post pictures.

Tomorrow is the Grand Marnier Dessert Challenge at the Delta, and best of luck to Brian Bradley, Chef Keenliside, Fernando and Sunny. With Sunday brunch just passed, it's proven to be a busy weekend!

-- Matt.

Congrats to Jeff Keenliside. Heard a good interview with him - following his win - on CBC Radio last night.

The Marina restaurant also won (for their pastry chef's entry) the Grand Marnier dessert challenge this week.

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

• 3 weeks later...
Hoping MattR will be so kind as to post the winning menus from both events.

Here is the winning menu from the Chef of the Year Competition. Follow this link to see some pictures from this event, as well as the Grand Marnier Dessert Challenge at the Delta. Gotta love Flickr!

dungeness crab and porcini mushroom cappuccino

lemon cream and salmon roe

mustard crusted albacore tuna

beetroot sorbet, arugula salad

balsamic gastrique

Cowichan Bay Duck Breast

Jerusalem artichoke trio

(confit, chip, and truffled puree)

braised Saanich organic greens

fig jus

hazelnut praline and goat cheese parfait

port jelly

I have the rest of the menus from the competition, but they are in PDF format, and very, very poorly done. :unsure:

If anyone is really keen on seeing what was offered, let me know and I will find some time to convert the document.

-- Matt.