• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chunky things in your drinks

torakris

When I ordered the new seaonal drink from Tully's Japan, the roasted almond latte, I didn't give a second thought to the little chunks of almond sprinkled on top.

When I started drinking it however, I started to get annoyed. Though the chunks were small they still had to be chewed. Sip chew sip chew sip chew.... It wasn't exactly the way I like to drink coffee. :hmmm: About three times during the downing of my grande a chunk flew up the straw and hit me in the back of my throat causing me to choke.

Needless to say I am never going to order this again.

Bubble tea also is chunky but I really love that one.

Any other chunky drinks out there?

the iced roasted almond latte

gallery_6134_1960_25749.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I really like the soft-chewy chunks in drinks but I think I'd be a little upset by something as choke-inducing as nuts in coffee. Milkshakes, sure (like Blizzards) but you can't drink those too fast anyway.

Jennie

Bubble tea. The horror!

Blizards: Bliss.

I'm with Maggie on this one. Bubble tea is nasty. The "bubbles" at the bottom of the glass are the texture of mucus. Yech. 10_2_5.gif It just spoils the tea for me. And if I wanted tapioca, I'd have tapioca pudding, a comfort food that makes me feel like a kid again.

Milkshakes on the other hand can have ever so tiny pieces of fruit in them and make me very happy. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I like the canned Chinese herbal tea with jelly, and I used to use a can opener to open the can of tea to extract all the jelly. I also like bubble tea but only if it is well cooked, the bubble has to be soft but still give some chew. Mango drinks with chunks of mango in also great in the summer.

I usually don't mind chunky things but the sellers should cut/cook the objects into a size that will fit the straw(or get a bigger straw). Having a cluster of bubbles stuck on my straw can be annoying.

i do not like chunks of anything in my drink. i do not like them, sam i am. no boba. no cookies 'n' cream whatevah. no chunks. no, no, no. drinks is smooth, not chunky. (but that's just me...)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

bubble tea:

can't dig the chunk.

reminds me of fish-eyes.

color me chunkless....

i can groove on the coco flakes

as in the drink which chrisamirault

posted the photo.

a flake is not a chunk,

a tapioca bubble

is a chunk plus.

edited to add:

chunk rhymes with funk.

-m

psychoalphadiscobeta, inc.

Edited by akebono (log)

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Mmmmm, bubble tea! Bubble tea done right is wonderful. When we visited family in CA, they introduced us to Tapioca Express... I have not found an equal on the east coast. Even there, there are branches that have better tapicoa balls than others. An encounter with bad tapioca at a place in VA turned me off trying to find any more here.

Things in drinks? growing up, my mom made some drink with shredded cantalope/or honeydew, sugar & water. Delicious! I'm not sure if this is specific to Philippines or not. Just thinking of it brings back memories. Also, Halo-Halo - not really a drink but texturally sort of a sip/chew/crunch thing going on.

Nuts in latte? :unsure:

Do marshmallows or peppermint sticks in hot chocolate counts as things in drink? Cause I love those! Whipped cream with choc shaving on top, please.

N.

edit: cause i just looked it up and am embarassed of the boba meaning. :blush:

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I love all sorts of drinks with "stuff" in them. A friend coined the name "crap in a glass" for them.

An Indian version is falooda: sort of a milk-based ice cream float that includes a type of short skinny pasta (falooda) and basil seeds (actual seeds from a basil plant, which when wet gain a sort of gelatinous capsule that make them look a bit like fish eggs---slightely crunchy, refreshing faint fruity flavor).

Basil seed alone also common in southeast Asian drinks.

Last night my daughter had a strawberry-kiwi smoothie bubble "tea" from a local Korean bakery. Very good.

Can you pee in the ocean?

I once worked in a place where oyster shots were a typical drink - a shot of Bloody Mary with an oyster in it. I had it once, but you can't really taste the oyster in that method. It could have been a chunk of anything at the bottom of the glass.

M. Thomas

I have long hated the use of Horseradish in Bloody Mary's.

The flavor is ok (although too many Bloodies taste like liquified Seafood cocktail sauce with alcohol).

But the suspended shredded horseradish root is off putting to say the least.

(I also don't like the use of lime juice--lemon is preferable--but this is a gripe better suited to the Beverage board).

Edited by JohnL (log)

An Indian version is falooda: sort of a milk-based ice cream float that includes a type of short skinny pasta (falooda) and basil seeds (actual seeds from a basil plant, which when wet gain a sort of gelatinous capsule that make them look a bit like fish eggs---slightely crunchy, refreshing faint fruity flavor).

silly question.....if you were to plant these basil seeds, would you grow basil? what type of basil is it?

silly question.....if you were to plant these basil seeds, would you grow basil? what type of basil is it?

Not a silly question at all: I believe the type is lemon-scented basil.

I've tried planting the seeds sold for culinary use, but they didn't come up. However, that year I planted about six types of basil, and not a single one came up, so I wouldn't take this failure as proof of anything.

Incidentally, the falooda noodles are made from cooked cornstarch that is pushed through a press into ice water, and the whole dish is usually flavored with rose water. Although very popular in India, falooda is, I think, of Persian origin, where it is called phalooda.

silly question.....if you were to plant these basil seeds, would you grow basil?  what type of basil is it?

It may well be more than one sort of basil, actually, as the sorts of basil seed (also called drink seed or tukmaria or takmaria or any number of things) I've seen vary a bit in size.

I've never tried planting the sort that I buy for drinks, but if you actually go out and buy regular basil seeds destined for gardening and wet them you will find that they develop the same gelatinous-looking polysaccharide capsule. There are some reports of health benefits associated with ingestion of the polysaccharide capsule material.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Incidentally, the falooda noodles are made from cooked cornstarch that is pushed through a press into ice water, and the whole dish is usually flavored with rose water. Although very popular in India, falooda is, I think, of Persian origin, where it is called phalooda.

The Persion orgin is very interesting to me. I had no idea. We make those noodles into a jelly sort and then shred it. Jelly noodles.

silly question.....if you were to plant these basil seeds, would you grow basil?  what type of basil is it?

It may well be more than one sort of basil, actually, as the sorts of basil seed (also called drink seed or tukmaria or takmaria or any number of things) I've seen vary a bit in size.

I've never tried planting the sort that I buy for drinks, but if you actually go out and buy regular basil seeds destined for gardening and wet them you will find that they develop the same gelatinous-looking polysaccharide capsule. There are some reports of health benefits associated with ingestion of the polysaccharide capsule material.

i never knew that it was a sort of basil. we grew up calling it tukmuria.....or also known as 'eyeballs' in my household.

My number one favorite comfort food, which I allow myself only when something truly terrible happens, is a chocolate chip shake. I think it's made with the chocolate coating that hardens on ice cream. I always order it made fairly thin, and then the lovely chocolate chunks left on the bottom, that wouldn't go through the straw, are an extra treat to be consumed with a spoon.

BUT... this chocolate, even when hardened, stays somewhat soft in a milkshake. It's not at all crunchy as nuts would be.

I dig on the chunks of banana left in a banana milkshake. As a kid, when I hit one, I'd close off the top end of my straw and pull it up out of the thick, cold liquid, dripping shake all the way, and lick it off the straw, finally getting to the bit of banana held to the end by suction. There was usually a straw full of shake, too. Yum!

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

bubble tea:

can't dig the chunk.

reminds me of fish-eyes.

color me chunkless....

i can groove on the coco flakes

as in the drink which chrisamirault

posted the photo.

a flake is not a chunk,

a tapioca bubble

is a chunk plus.

edited to add:

chunk rhymes with funk.

-m

psychoalphadiscobeta, inc.

I said, "Seven up."

I don't want chunks in my beverages. A bit of pulp in a fruit drink is acceptable, but not particularly wanted. I don't really consider milkshakes a beverage so chunks are welcome.