• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scuppernong Wine

I'm searching for Scuppernong wine. I'm a Savannah native living in Seattle, and I am studying for my Sommelier certification. I'd like the wine for fun, memories, and for in-class tasting of a wine made from native slip-skin grapes (always described as "foxy" in character). If anyone makes this, knows someone who does, and would like to part with a few bottles (I think we can ship wine state to state now, right?) I'll buy. Also...I'll be in Savannah for Thanksgiving if anyone local has any to spare. Thanks.

Are Scuppernong and Muscadine the same grape? If so, and depending how long it's been since you've been in Savannah, you might not know that there's a relatively new winery in Statesboro. Their web site is at www.meinhardtvineyards.com, and it appears they concentrate on Muscadine wines. I can't comment on their wine one way or the other, I just remember reading about them when they opened and being surprised someone would start a winery in the 'boro. Throw in some BBQ and stew from Vandy's, and you've got a pretty good road trip going.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

some information here on the taste and we had a thread here on these grapes in which therese describes eating scuppernongs quite expertly!

1.Bite into one just enough to detach the skin and peel about half to one third of the skin off. Scrape the sweet pulp off the interior of the skin with your teeth and discard the skin itself. Under no circumstances should you skip this part, as it's the best part of the grape, the most flavorful and juiciest. It's not like this part of a Concord, which I find intensely grape-flavored but not juicy.

2. Bite into the grape's interior until you encounter the seeds. Don't crush them, as they're bitter, but if you've picked a ripe grape they will shell out very very easily. Discard seeds and eat the grape interior.

3. Repeat the scraping of the remainder of the skin, everting it to do so.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

But the Scuppernong grape is related to to the Concord, so does the wine made from it resemble a Fragolino without the sparkle?

Also, here is a link with an interesting little history of scuppernong wine as well as links to several producers. Anyone tried these producers? Any good?

Scuppernong Wine

Edited by scordelia (log)

S. Cue

All the scuppernong I have ever had, which is from Duplin County vineyards, where my "people" are from, is VERY sweet. Almost syrupy. It is loved in SE NC. I think it is a "taste I grew up with" thing.

All my aunts and cousins from Duplin county can seed and skin a scuppernong grape through their teeth in seconds. I have never mastered it. I love the taste (yes, goes back to childhood) but get so annoyed trying to get rid of the skin and seeds, I give up after a couple.