• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast in Vancouver/Western Canada

sasskitty

We are weekend breakfast junkies, but we are looking for somewhere new to us. We have gone to Fatzos most recently (good breaky, bad coffee) and avoid places like the Sunshine Diner, Sophie's, Cafe Zen because of the ridiculous line ups.

Any thoughts? We will willingly embrace diners and are looking for something reasonably priced!

Cheers

Bon's off broadway has 2:95 breakfast (Typical eggs, toast, hash, sausage/bacon/ham), and has high volume(=fresh). Stick to peak breakfast hours ie up till 3 on weekends for best coffee refill service. Totally diner with a bit of funk. It is a bit of a trek at Broadway and Nanaimo.

Also, Templeton Diner on Granville is really good.

Elbow Room.

Milestones.

The Hot Pepper on Commercial- another diner experience.

The breakfast croissants in the market grill at Granville Island Market, or the hot cereal with fruit at the stock market. Go early to find a table.

Sounds like you live in Kits, but if you are a true junkie- you may be willing to take some field trips!

I have avoided Sophie's breakfasts ever since I ordered a Jimmy's Greek Omelet with Sour Cream on the side, and the waitresses said she couldn't do it because the omelets were "premade". Love the poorboys there though.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

We are big brunch lovers, too, and we just don't get the Sophie's thing. Can't understand why anyone would line up for brunch; guess we've got better things to do with our weekends than stand around and wait with so many great options out there.

The Ordinary Cafe does a fantastic brunch. Love the smoked cod ben! Been several times now and excellent everytime. Also in Kits, Incendio West has just added a brunch menu and so far so good (delicious breakfast pizza and amazing (bananas forester!) waffles). And afters, Fifth Avenue right next door. My idea of heaven - brunch and a matinee!

We love going to the Blue Water in Yaletown. Not too expensive and always great food and amazing service. Wonderful coffee.

Oh, and on Main Street, try the crowded but worth the wait, Locus near 25th. Very good.

We've had a couple of very unnerving experiences at the Bon on Broadway. Firstly, a Daddy-Long-Legs type insect pinned beneath my eggs on our FIRST visit, and on our 'second chance' go, a band-aid in my friend's burger. Cheap but not cheerful.

mountain burger house, squamish :D

OR try Joe's on 4th, just down the hill 1/3 block from sophies. cheap, and they make a mean grilled cheese.

Oh, and for brunch, try The Marriot Pinnacle, on hastings and thurlow, $30 for the best brunch ever, not that I worked there for 2 years ;)

Edited by Derek Diggler (log)

Aurora's brunch is very nice. Something for everyone; egg stuff, waffle stuff, sandwich stuff (mmmm...B.E.L.T.)

They are open saturday and sunday for brunch. I believe they open at 10:30 and close at 2:30.

Dinner is everyday from 5:30. Not a bad idea to call for a reso.

Thanks for the great suggestions...I had forgotten about Joes and the Ordinary...brilliant...Joe's makes a great Corned Beef Hash for breakfast...yum.

Have been to the Locus for dinner and the amazing martinis (if you get the right bartender) but haven't tried for brunch....but we will be now!

Forgot about the Hot Pepper too...love their breakies for sure!

Great...we have brunch covered for the next little while! Woo hoo!

Thanks again... :biggrin:

sad to say that the hot pepper is no longer.

grumpy and the family packed up and left with barely any notice. he actually said goodbye to one person that i know of who ate there everyday for years. they went to japan.

the spot is now known as irene's (i believe) and the friendly family atmosphere just ain't the same. tried it out once but i was looking for those perfect hashbrowns with the eggs done just right and the gruff service: irene and the family just couldn't deliver.

breakfast will never be the same.

I'm not 100% on the name, but there's a restaurant called Paul's Place (or is that Pete's Place?) on South Granville btw 7th and 8th that is FABULOUS! The portions are enormous and you can't really call this stuff low cal/heart healthy, but it was GREAT. Went there twice.

Stephanie

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that is truly scary about the Bon.

I heard about the Hot Pepper too...Sob. My husband went by there for breakfast and was shocked to discover that it is no more.

I am intrigued by the Ordinary Cod Benny.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

That cod benny is pretty tasty, I went there last weekend. Also of note is that they appear to make their own hollandaise, and it was quite fresh on Saturday AM. So two plusses there.

My girlfriend was not overly fond of her mascarpone-stuffed french toast, which was alone on its plate, and also stuffed with chocolate mascarpone (not noted on the menu, this chocolate bit), which removed any mascarpone flavour. I thought it was alright.

The benny is worth a try though.

Edited by dillybravo (log)

Slickity Jim's on Main at Broadway is a pretty funky breakfast/brunch/lunch spot. Very decent fare, reasonable prices, good service, and above all, a taste of the "Main St vibe" !

Watch out, packed on week-ends after 10am, and busy most of the week.

Joe's grill on 4th has pretty good brunch too (at Arbutus).

good bites !

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

I was just up visiting Vancouver over the weekend, and wandered Commercial Drive until the right breakfast place beckoned. My friend and I ended up at Havana's, and I can't wait to visit again to re-experience the Latin Breakfast (eggs scrambled with coconut rice, topped with beans, chorizo, house-made salsa, and served with flour tortillas). There were several other things on the menu that were hard to choose between.

Anyone else have any words about this place? Other good experiences? Any not-so-good experiences? Is lunch as good as breakfast?

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Caffe Barney today on South Granville, and I must say, this is the BEST breakfast I have ever had. There was strangely no line up when we got there (around...11ish, I think?) We ordered the strawberry pancakes, cheddar & mushroom omelette, & smoked salmon, cream cheese, & pesto omelette.

The pancakes (on the specials menu) were the BEST pancakes I remember having--I have said on another post that I don't normally like flour-y things, which is why I don't normally order pancakes & don't like scones & the like. I thought the pancakes would have strawberry sauce, but they actually had strawberries in them, which was a nice little surprise. The pancakes were light & fluffy, & nicely browned (exactly the way I like everything that's cooked in a pan to be).

I must say that my favourite way to have eggs is omelette-style, mushroom being my favourite. I used to order the mushroom omelette every time I went to some restaurant on Denman as a kid....it's gone now though *sniff* :sad: ANyway, the cheddar & mushroom omelette was quite tasty, although the cheese had hardened a bit by the time I had gotten to it (Being my favourite, I saved it for last).

The smoked salmon omelette was one of the best omelette's I have ever had, because of the weird ingredients. It all went nicely together...The pesto really brought out the flavour of the salmon and paired nicely with the salmon flavour.

I was really impressed with the interesting types of omelette--they had the standard ham & cheese, but they also had one with avocado & something else (shrimp?), & one with camembert & fresh papaya! How cool is that?

The service was really friendly & casual. I am DEFINITELY going back to Barney's for breakfast/brunch. All depending on whether I can wake up for it though, of course.... :biggrin:

• 1 year later...

Morning all ...

Sorry for the short notice on this, but J & I are going to her office Christmas party tonight ("The Roof" of the Hotel Vancouver) and then staying overnight at Le Soleil.

We're looking for a good place for breakfast Saturday morning downtown as we're going to do a little shopping as well (I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive weekend - anybody want to buy a kitchen??). We'd prefer it to be reasonably close to the hotel as we're on foot. So far I have:

• Diva at the Met
  • Bacchus
  • Elixir (a hefty walk, but doable)

Any suggestions will be most welcome.

A.

Arne, just a suggestion, but you don't have any kids, you're staying at a nice hotel, you don't have any thing to do other than Christmas shopping, why don't you surprise J with breakfast in bed before you guys leave the hotel. Have something ordered that will be delivered at a reasonable time tomorrow morning.

Just a thought for you guys to make the most of this :rolleyes:

On ambience alone, I'd choose Bacchus. I'd say that Bacchus offers a fairly classic breakfast, but nothing beats dining in two comfy club chairs in front of the fireplace. My thoughts as a parent is to have breakfast out as opposed to in. Heck, I get to eat breakfast in my pajamas 7 days a week, so I always milk the opportunity to have a luxe brunch out! :smile:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Arne,

For something within walking distance from Le Soleil and close to Pacific Centre, Scoozi's at 508 Howe (between Hastings and Pender) serves a great breakfast and they are open on the weekends. Some menu items include: deep egg dish with spinach, tomatoes, smoked salmon & shrimp; deep dish with scrambled egg, lean ham, skim mozzarella, tomatoes, spinach (with vegetarian option); continental breakfast; big breakfast - scrambled eggs, oven roasted fries, toast, and sausage, bacon or lean ham; breakfast pizza; oatmeal; Greek yoghurt with fruit and honey; homemade banana bread, etc. On a miserable rainy day, Scoozi's is like a little oasis of Mediterranean sunshine.

Arne you will love the Le Soliel. It's very nice if you love over decorated rooms. I do, at least. I have always thought of the Wedgewood as a bit of a dump. Never been past the lobby but if the rooms are like the lobby you can keep them.

Edited by Coop (log)

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I have always thought of the Wedgewood as a bit of a dump. Never been past the lobby but if the rooms are like the lobby you can keep them.

Coop,

I have always admired your opinions, well researched and cheerfully (and expertly) demonstrated. But here you seemingly argue with the most successful (per square foot of sales) bar in Vancouver, a chef ascendant in Lee Parsons, and a hotel that's famous for its sense of intimacy.

Last week I booked seven of my family's business partners at the Wedgewood--a rather well travelled bunch to be sure. They were of a common opinion: uncommonly gracious service, quiet and well decorated suites, lovely food and rousing drinks downstairs.

So much was I grateful that I took Philip Meyer, the GM at the hotel, down to the Hamilton Street Grill for a well-deserved hanger steak and bottle of N. B. the other night. The personal audience with Neil was simply a bonus.

Just to thank him.

J.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"