• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast in Vancouver/Western Canada

sasskitty

One place that I alsways enjoy is Zeb's on Broadway, one block west of Fraser. Their breakfast is great, and service is friendly.

One of my favorite breakfast places is Tomahawk in North Vancouver (www.tomahawkrestaurant.com). They've been around for many years (almost a hundred?) and the food is awesome. Everything is homemade and the portions are really generous.

The belly rules the mind.

Snacky, as much as I like and respect your posts, I must disagree on this one. I love Joe's; my old roommate and I used to go pretty much every weekend until I moved out. That was for like 5 years. Okay so it was partially because it felt like we were at Monk's in Seinfeld (once we went with moustaches we grew specifically for Halloween, just to live out one Seinfeld episode). It is a greasy spoon, no more, no less. If you don't like the potatoes, get the waffles combo. It even includes "fruit"!

I agree that two things happened that made it IMO less of a draw than it used to be:

1. They repainted to make it warmer and less diner-ish (it is "nicer", yet it is not the same).

2. They somehow got popular and started getting breakfast line-ups. Not as bad as Sophie's (and who in their right mind is lining up to eat there??), but if it's over say 10 minutes then no I would not line up for it either.

However, if you manage to arrive before about 10 AM, you should be able to slide into a booth no problem. And booths make it all worthwhile.

BTW, the Davie location has absolutely nothing on the Kits flagship.

PS: 11son, if you go to the pinned Best Of thread, you can find other threads.

list

I think I first got really serious about weekend breakfasts when I was going to school at UVic many years ago. Every Sunday morning was brunch at pagliacci's.

Ah, I loved that place. :wub:

on the south side of the street, which I think was called Gladys'.

and I loved this place too! :wub:

I know they moved across the street to, I believe, the location that eventually became Pastis. And I guess they over-extended themselves with the costs of the move and the reno on the new space. Anyway, they weren’t in the new spot very long before they closed.
unfortunately true.

How about this:

Paul's Place Restaurant and Omelettery

2211 Granville Street - (604) 737-2857

...... This is the place for all day breakfast. Paul Van Werkhoven, ex Gladys, is inventive, his menu is eclectic and innovative and you can do lots of things with it....

I haven't been for awhile, but have really enjoyed it in the past.

You'll find it included on this list as well as some other ideas, not only breakfast.

I personally do like Wazubeez Cafe on Commercial Drive, just off of 1st Avenue as well, for breakfast/brunch and other meals. :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Come to think of it, BCinBC, my unfortunate run-ins with the breakfast potatoes were likely not the fault of the poor spuds. It was probably the fact that every time I ate at Joe's I was in the grip of a severe hangover. Some sort of bad Pavlovian association going on there. :biggrin:

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

How about this:

......  This is the place for all day breakfast. Paul Van Werkhoven, ex Gladys,  is inventive, his menu is eclectic and innovative and you can do lots of things with it....

You'll find it included on this list as well as some other ideas, not only breakfast.

Malheureusement, cayenne, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. The omelettes that I've tried at Paul's Place were rather uninspired and greasy relative to others I've had in the city. Come to think of it, the coffee there was especially bad and I wasn't really that fond of the vibe. Who knows, perhaps my visits were on off days, perhaps chalk it up to personal preference. But I'd rather breakfast/brunch elsewhere.

On a more positive note, have you tried Aurora Bistro?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

How about this:

......  This is the place for all day breakfast. Paul Van Werkhoven, ex Gladys,  is inventive, his menu is eclectic and innovative and you can do lots of things with it....

Malheureusement, cayenne, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. The omelettes that I've tried at Paul's Place were rather uninspired and greasy relative to others I've had in the city. Come to think of it, the coffee there was especially bad and I wasn't really that fond of the vibe. Who knows, perhaps my visits were on off days, perhaps chalk it up to personal preference. But I'd rather breakfast/brunch elsewhere.

On a more positive note, have you tried Aurora Bistro?

No problem Mooshmouse, I respect your opinion. As well, it has been over a year and half since we were there. I thought it might be worth mentioning though because of Paul Van Werkhoven, ex Gladys, and the OP had mentioned Gladys. It was always super busy there then too (on weekends), was Seb's open then yet? (we had a late breakfast at Seb's about a month or so ago). The crowd at Pauls was quite varied on the weekend, I could see it and the possible vibe being quite different on weekdays. :hmmm:

Then again, we also ate at Locus in the past, but it's been a very long time too since we've been. It certainly had character, and the food was pretty good, in it's off beat way. Hey, there's always Bons on Broadway, can't beat the price! :biggrin:

No, we haven't had the pleasure of trying Aurora Bistro yet, it certainly is on my wish list. :smile:

ETA Mooshmouse, I meant to ask, did you ever have the opportunity to try the first Gladys?

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

courtesy of jsolomon

Oh yeah, Blue Fox is awesome. Mr Cat and I took the HeliJet over to Victoria two winters ago as part of his Xmas pressie. I searched online for Victoria's best breakfasts and the Blue Fox came up. The HeliJet shuttle guy was nice enough to veer off his regular route and drop us there.

:laugh::laugh:

I had this vision of the helicopter hovering down over the restaurant, then you and Mr. Cat jump out and run into the restaurant. :biggrin:

courtesy of jsolomon

Thanks, Moosh, I was so NOT self-serving that I completely neglected to mention Aurora Bistro.  I LOVE that place!

heh!

k.

I saw Chef Jeff tonight, and he mentioned the smoked sablefish hash with poached and Hollandaise...I think a return to Aurora is in my near future :biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I saw Chef Jeff tonight, and he mentioned the smoked sablefish hash with poached and Hollandaise...I think a return to Aurora is in my near future :biggrin:

Oh man. I better walk down there right now....wait...it's 10:15! dang!

:biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

No problem Mooshmouse, I respect your opinion.  As well, it has been over a year and half since we were there.  I thought it might be worth mentioning though because of Paul Van Werkhoven, ex Gladys, and the OP had mentioned Gladys.  It was always super busy there then too (on weekends), was Seb's open then yet?  (we had a late breakfast at Seb's about a month or so ago).  The crowd at Pauls was quite varied on the weekend, I could see it and the possible vibe being quite different on weekdays.  :hmmm:

No, we haven't had the pleasure of trying Aurora Bistro yet, it certainly is on my wish list.  :smile:

ETA  Mooshmouse, I meant to ask, did you ever have the opportunity to try the first Gladys?

No, never did dine at Gladys. An opportunity missed, I suppose. And my last visit to Paul's Place was on a weekend. But I am interested to hear your take on Aurora's brunch when you finally do go. :smile:

Thanks, Moosh, I was so NOT self-serving that I completely neglected to mention Aurora Bistro.  I LOVE that place!

heh!

:wink:

I'm in! :cool:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

^You know, I've always wanted to try the Aurora brunch menu, but too bad I have to work on Sundays. Damn...I've read a lot of good things about it.

No smoked sablefish hash for me. :sad:

But if you're looking for a more casual experience, I would suggest Joe's Grill on W. 4th too. :smile:

for us, it's the tomahawk. great food, great service and the decor! wow, the decor, you really can't beat that!

as for a high end breakkie, i like the raincity grill. love the view and their bennies, and the bonus is that it's just a stumble from my house!

another cheap and cheerful one that we like is on commercial drive. skylight diner. simple, good, and dead cheap. my pick is the ukrainian sausage, eggs over easy and yummy hash browns. my tummy is now grumbling :wink:

Quentina

We are on the constant search for good breakfasts joints esp. on the east side. We are not Joes fans, i think theire waffles are frozen that get put in the toaster. Sophies is good. But we usually end up paying almost $40 for 2 and half (child) for basically eggs and bacon and toast. Though we like the service and the staff always rememeber us, always a 'feel good' place. Tomohawk we really like, their bacon is amazing. But it is all the way over in the N. Shore.

Lately we have been going getting a few waffles from the Belgian waffle place on 2nd, get an americano and head down to Granville Isl. before our morning of grocery shopping. Not the same as sitting in a restaurant but at tleast good food.

I am interested in trying the hatch though. I used to go to Gladys all the time as well and greatly miss it. i use to also love Slicketys when down on Powell St. great prices and excellent bennys.

Also agree with Mooshmouse about Pauls place went there not long ago and none us had that great of experience. Ok but not great.

Oh another place with good breakkies is Bennys on S. granville ( i think that is the name..right beside bean around the world)

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

My neighbour has told me on more than one occasion that he makes the BEST breakfasts.

Perhaps I should collect some curious egulleters and head on over. I'm sure he was be ecstatic to see us all.

Hmm he also has a rather large dog... :shock:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

We are not Joes fans, i think theire waffles are frozen that get put in the toaster.

They are frozen and before serving they are grilled.

does that make them better? :wacko:

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

We are not Joes fans, i think theire waffles are frozen that get put in the toaster.

They are frozen and before serving they are grilled.

does that make them better? :wacko:

I suppose it depends on personal taste. Either way, I'm just trying to point out that they are not Eggo-type waffles.

I think you're implying that "fresh" i.e. waffle iron waffles would be better than frozen, which I agree with - if you are looking for a nicer breakfast. However, in Joe's case, it's just not something that you're going to get. Again, it is a greasy spoon. That's all. Comfort breakfast food. And as such, I personally think the grill marks on the waffles are a "nice" touch.

My neighbour has told me on more than one occasion that he makes the BEST breakfasts.

Perhaps I should collect some curious egulleters and head on over.  I'm sure he was be ecstatic to see us all.

Hmm he also has a rather large dog... :shock:

I can put together a good breakfast too (with scones made from scratch, natch.) :wink:

I guess I should add that at Joe's, I've never strayed from the omelettes, so I don't know how the rest of the breakfast food fares. Grilled waffles sound good to me, though.

I wasn't going to recommend Juicy Lucy's at 1420 Commercial cuz there's only one breafast item I've ever had there, but while we're on the subject of waffles...

Their waffles are whole-grain (yeah, I know), but extremely light, tender and not the least bit gritty. They're served with whipped butter, whipped cream, blackberries, strawberries and kiwis, and I definitely think they're worth a try. It's not much of a restaurant, just a couple of tables inside and a couple more outside.

I order a carrot, apple and ginger juice to go with (I call it 'adam, eve and lilith').

I wasn't going to recommend Juicy Lucy's at 1420 Commercial cuz there's only one breafast item I've ever had there, but while we're on the subject of waffles...

Their waffles are whole-grain (yeah, I know), but extremely light, tender and not the least bit gritty. They're served with whipped butter, whipped cream, blackberries, strawberries and kiwis, and I definitely think they're worth a try.  It's not much of a restaurant, just a couple of tables inside and a couple more outside.

I order a carrot, apple and ginger juice to go with (I call it 'adam, eve and lilith').

Glad you posted, the waffles sound great(as does the juice!). Usually go by there later in the day, but haven't necessarily eaten yet. Do you know if they discontinue serving the waffles at a certain time?

courtesy of jsolomon

Glad you posted, the waffles sound great(as does the juice!).  Usually go by there later in the day, but haven't necessarily eaten yet.  Do you know if they discontinue serving the waffles at a certain time?

Hmmm... well I hope I haven't spoken out of turn; I haven't been there in a while, but I've always had the waffles in the AM. I sure hope they still have them!!!