• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations

iharrison

What is up people,

Anthony Bourdain's Travel Discovery show No Reservations is coming to Montreal, Quebec City and parts in between next month. As a fixer for the show, I have the pleasure to choose and book locales that convey the soul of Montreal and Quebec cuisine and culture to viewers all over the world.

Montreal is not a problem but I could use some help for Quebec City. If any of you are familiar with Bourdain's style, either from his books or previous show A Cook's Tour, you know what I'm looking for. Unconventional, unique experiences, wacky characters that double as ambassadors of Quebec cuisine to the outside world, etc.

Please send me ideas, any ideas. You can even call me if you wish to discuss further.

Ian Harrison

514 583-3290

wow a lot of great opinions! come on peoples dont be afraid

ian for montreal i hope he gets martin picard at his best on camera

also of course claude and hubert from club chasse, a true classy act

david macmillan is aborn star

i forget the name of the man but the crazy mushroom picker from the townships

some of the great organic quebec organic farmers incl. mr daigneault the carrot man

ducs de montrichard foie gras producer - that guy is a madman he cook the pate de foie and rillettes for 30 days in his farmhouse in the middle of nowhere. he will be good on camera like billybob thornton in slingblade

take him to the greek heartattack breakfast place if this is still open i forget the name, what a great man! made a movie of him some years ago this is the only cure of montreal hangovers

Edited by Vinfidel (log)

take him to the greek heartattack breakfast place if this is still open i forget the name, what a great man! made a movie of him some years ago this is the only cure of montreal hangovers

It's called Cosmo's. The movie is called "The Man From Grease"- I think.

The place makes a good breakfast, if hygiene is not your thing.

no hygiene + heart attacks for less than $10

ian, another advice in montreal is to focus on the 'scene' restos

in my all travels we have the best 'scene' of all the places put together especially if you factor the blankets of snow for half the year

by this i mean globe, med, primadonna, sofia, cafeteria, myst, W bar / otto, wakamono, cavalli, rosalie, time, and of course la grand dame buona notte

i know bourdain he loves the ladies that munch and drink and we have a lot of those here

that would be fun and a good sense of 5.1.4. and our best traits

also l'express and on some nites le continnental which is jamming fun

oooo! he has to have poutine! in Montreal, La Banquise is *the* place to go, they have a huge poutine list and the place is very popular because they're still open when all the bars close. I think they're even open 24/7.

oooo! he has to have poutine! in Montreal, La Banquise is *the* place to go, they have a huge poutine list and the place is very popular because they're still open when all the bars close. I think they're even open 24/7.

where is this place jul?

in my day i loved rapido and montreal pool room

today i am not sure where the best poutine is

apdc is too heavy and soggy

does globe make one with no david macmillan?

what about the late night bistros express and lemeac? do they have one

for low-end what about la belle province as a student this was 1 meal per day for $3

ian, another advice in montreal is to focus on the 'scene' restos

in my all travels we have the best 'scene' of all the places put together especially if you factor the blankets of snow for half the year

by this i mean globe, med, primadonna, sofia, cafeteria, myst, W bar / otto, wakamono, cavalli, rosalie, time, and of course la grand dame buona notte

The nice thing about these places is that there is no need to visit them all, you can go to one and its like you have been each one.

I didn't realize there was a scene at Wakamono, I thought it was a neighbourhood sushi restaurant.

Vinfidel, I don't understand why you want to show him places like Globe, Cavalli, etc....I don't think Bourdain cares about places like that.

Places like Pied de Cochon, Banquise, Magnan, Emile Bertrand (epinette beer), are landmarks with a twist.

Vinfidel, I don't understand why you want to show him places like Globe, Cavalli, etc....I don't think Bourdain cares about places like that.

Places like Pied de Cochon, Banquise, Magnan, Emile Bertrand (epinette beer),  are landmarks with a twist.

yes, but the man loves LOVES LOVES to party and party hard. all night. then he can go get poutine and better understand .qc.ca

you need to realize that no reservations is a travel show, focusing on food and local culture and barlife. he is not a touring michelin inspector looking to hand out stars

Hi Ian and Vinfidel,

Excellent list, but i add the Wine bar like Bu and Pullman (great glass wine and tapas). For the Bistro, Express and Lemeac are good, but the clients at Lemeac are different, older and "very important people"! For Lemeac, i suggest to eat the Salmon Pot-au-Feu. Equally Les Chevres/Le Chou on Van Horn street, great cuisine and the best pastry cook at Montreal, Patrice Demers. And, don't forget Anis on Laurier street with Racha Bassoul, an innovators in a Cuisine.

For Quebec city, i suggest Laurie Raphael (Daniel Vézina), it's the "Normand Laprise " at Quebec city. New restaurant, L'Utopie on St-Joseph street (best new restaurant in Quebec city)or L'initiale, great french cuisine. Others, but more straight: Graffitti (Cartier street), Aviatic Club and Cosmos/Chez Maurice for the ladies.

Too, the new best hotel in Canada, Auberge Saint-Antoine and don't forget Le Dominion. The Old Port at Quebec city is the best place: Laurie Raphael, Saint-Antoine, Dominion, L'échaudé, L'initiale, Moss, Chez Belley's, Aviatic Club.

(For Vindifel), the guy from the Laurentides is Francois Brouillard.

I hope to help you,

Revolutionary Minds Project

(Gastronomy, Science and Cuisine)

Montreal (Canada)

he is not a touring michelin inspector looking to hand out stars

Banquise, Magnan

I don't think that a dude who's suggesting magnan and banquise take him to be a michelin inspector, either, vin.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

if you like jokes you will like the show NO RESERVATIONS. bourdain is very very dark humor style in this show much more than his other shows. he is also very critical and looks to be hungover each day.

i think he will be happy to see that in quebec it is still permis to smoke in many restos but of course not at the best ones. try that is new york or california

i think he will be happy to see that in quebec it is still permis to smoke in many restos but of course not at the best ones. try that is new york or california

This is hardly AB's first visit to Quebec. And any happiness he feels will be short-lived, as smoking in Quebec bars and restaurants will be outlawed beginning next summer. California here we come.

i found kitchen confidential too cynical for my liking. i guess it was written to play up how coarse a kitchen can be, but it was like reading a celebration of mediocrity and depravity...

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker