• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Galatoire's to open in Baton Rouge: Brett Anderson

Gifted Gourmet

article from Times-Picayune

First the storm, then the floods. Now hell is apparently freezing over.

Galatoire's is opening in Baton Rouge.

Galatoire's Bistro, as the new restaurant will be called, should open in the capital city mid-November "maybe sooner," Rodrigue said. The Bourbon Street restaurant suffered roof damage, he said, and will need to have its refrigeration system replaced. Plans are for the original Galatoire's to reopen by Jan. 1.

While acknowledging that Hurricane Katrina hastened the expansion plans, Rodrigue said Galatoire's management had been exploring opening in Baton Rouge for several years.

the announcement comes at a particularly sensitive time for New Orleanians anxious that the mass exodus of its culture could become permanent.

Yet another Brett Anderson article well worth reading ... :wink:

Anyone here longing for Galatoire's reopening? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

First the storm, then the floods. Now hell is apparently freezing over.

Indeed. The cold wind has been blowing here since August 29.

Benny Grunch, local satirical songwriter, has a great song called, "It ain't dere no mo."

Sadly, he needs to update the lyrics to include Post K additions to the song.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 4 weeks later...

At a fund raiser here last week, I was talking to a native from NOLA who said that G's was not reopening the original restaurant any more. I think he was confused -- but I thought I'd ask if anyone has any updates.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

from Best of New Orleans comes this, and I have seen this date on a few other websites as well:

At this writing, the return to business of K-Paul's and Ralph Brennan's Bacco's is a rarity among the truly famous New Orleans restaurants. Bayona hopes to open in mid-November, while Arnaud's Restaurant is planning to reopen Dec. 1. Galatoire's Restaurant and Antoine's Restaurant are both shooting for a January reopening and, at press time, managers from Commander's Palace were meeting to determine the timeline for the landmark restaurant's return.
Note: this article was dated Nov. 1, 2005.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

At a fund raiser here last week, I was talking to a native from NOLA who said that G's was not reopening the original restaurant any more. I think he was confused -- but I thought I'd ask if anyone has any updates.

Nah, but they are closed right now. Soon to open, although soon come is probably more accurate.

The front door last Saturday. gallery_10237_2102_158562.jpg

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Love the photo, Brooks. A picture really is worth a thousand words!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”