• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza in Playa del Carmen

AzianBrewer

The pizzas in Playa del Carmen are great! It is just as good as NYC pizza. I am wondering what kind of cheese are used? It does not taste like the "muz" (mozzorella) from back home. Is it queso blanco?

Square slice with Gonganzola

gallery_34348_1974_280565.jpg

Square slice with "shroom"

gallery_34348_1974_182296.jpg

The thin version of stuffed pizza (jamon con queso).

gallery_34348_1974_198633.jpg

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Can't tell from the photos what color the cheese is. Sadly American chzfood has made great inroads all over Mx. However, if it was indeed white and creamy it was likely either queso quesillo, or Oaxaca, or else queso Chihuahua or Menonita. There is also a queso asadero which is more common in the northern part of the country. It is also a white cheese which, as you see from its name, melts readily.

Now, I can't help but ask - Why would you go to Mexico and eat pizza? I mean, I love good pizza, but it is so difficult to find real, quality regional Mexican foods here in the States - and I'm in Texas - that I can't imagine wasting gastric real estate on pizza in Mexico. But that's maybe just me. You missed the panuchos, molotes, garnachas, sopes, huaraches, memelas, real, true tacos, pintos, polkanes, gorditas, guajolotes, and tlacoyos. And those are just a few of the street appetizers. Go Directly to Jail! And no using the Get Out of Jail Free card!

Regards,

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Can't tell from the photos what color the cheese is.  Sadly American chzfood has made great inroads all over Mx.  However, if it was indeed white and creamy it was likely either queso quesillo, or Oaxaca, or else queso Chihuahua or Menonita.  There is also a queso asadero which is more common in the northern part of the country.  It is also a white cheese which, as you see from its name, melts readily.

Now, I can't help but ask - Why would you go to Mexico and eat pizza?  I mean, I love good pizza, but it is so difficult to find real, quality regional Mexican foods here in the States - and I'm in Texas - that I can't imagine wasting gastric real estate on pizza in Mexico.  But that's maybe just me.  You missed the panuchos, molotes, garnachas, sopes, huaraches, memelas, real, true tacos, pintos, polkanes, gorditas, guajolotes, and tlacoyos.  And those are just a few of the street appetizers.  Go Directly to Jail!  And no using the Get Out of Jail Free card!

Regards,

Theabroma

Thanks for the cheese info.

The pizza joint is several steps from our rental condo so we decided to try it out just for the heck of the it. At first, we (the Mrs. and I) were quite skeptical with the slices. The square shape slices look very much like the Silician or Ellio's except they are Neapolitan thin (crispy with a nice springiness). The first one we ordered was the gorgonzola slice-Awesome!!!! The second slice was the "shroom"...Fughetaboutit!!! And we finished off with stuffed pizza of ham and cheese...Fughetaboutit 2!!! By the way, were pretty hardcore with the pizza since I am originally from Brooklyn and the wife is from Queens. Forget about Chicago's deep dish, California Pizza Kitchen or Wolfgang Pucks you see in the airport coz...True pizza is to be eaten with hand and not utensils!

I forgot the name of that joint but we definitely vouch that place!

Yes, we also tried many street foods such as taco al pastor, gorditas, tamales and etc. My friends and I actually joked about driving up to Merida for iguanas and armadillos.

AzianBrewer

Your pizza place and your condo are still standing after Wilma? 

Are you there now?

Friends have reported from there: devastation from Cozumel to Akumal and south.

The pizza joint might not stand the pounding of Wilma but the condo survived Emily. I emailed the condo manager but have see any reply yet.

I got to the airport on Thursday morning before they shut the airport at 2 pm. I am in Chicago by 5 pm and arrived in NYC at 9 pm.

Edited by AzianBrewer (log)

Yes, we also tried many street foods such as taco al pastor, gorditas, tamales and etc.  My friends and I actually joked about driving up to Merida for iguanas and armadillos.

AzianBrewer

If you head towards Vallarta, I can recommend a little joint that serves both ... and does them quite well: iguana in a caper/tomato sauce, and armadillo en mixiotes, w/adobo. They were both quite good.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

• 3 weeks later...

Is it Pizza Pazza? I think they have a location across from El Oasis just off 5th maybe on Calle 12? They might have 1 or 2 other locations.

From what I have heard Playa Del carmen is up and running. 95% of the town is operating in the tourist area's.

PDC is a good food choice for a tourist area IMO. Cheap local eats to very good upper end dining.

Can't tell from the photos what color the cheese is.  Sadly American chzfood has made great inroads all over Mx.  However, if it was indeed white and creamy it was likely either queso quesillo, or Oaxaca, or else queso Chihuahua or Menonita.  There is also a queso asadero which is more common in the northern part of the country.  It is also a white cheese which, as you see from its name, melts readily.

Now, I can't help but ask - Why would you go to Mexico and eat pizza?  I mean, I love good pizza, but it is so difficult to find real, quality regional Mexican foods here in the States - and I'm in Texas - that I can't imagine wasting gastric real estate on pizza in Mexico.  But that's maybe just me.  You missed the panuchos, molotes, garnachas, sopes, huaraches, memelas, real, true tacos, pintos, polkanes, gorditas, guajolotes, and tlacoyos.  And those are just a few of the street appetizers.  Go Directly to Jail!  And no using the Get Out of Jail Free card!

Regards,

Theabroma

The pizza joint is several steps from our rental condo so we decided to try it out just for the heck of the it. At first, we (the Mrs. and I) were quite skeptical with the slices. The square shape slices look very much like the Silician or Ellio's except they are Neapolitan thin (crispy with a nice springiness). The first one we ordered was the gorgonzola slice-Awesome!!!! The second slice was the "shroom"...Fughetaboutit!!! And we finished off with stuffed pizza of ham and cheese...Fughetaboutit 2!!! By the way, were pretty hardcore with the pizza since I am originally from Brooklyn and the wife is from Queens. Forget about Chicago's deep dish, California Pizza Kitchen or Wolfgang Pucks you see in the airport coz...True pizza is to be eaten with hand and not utensils!

Yes, we also tried many street foods such as taco al pastor, gorditas, tamales and etc. My friends and I actually joked about driving up to Merida for iguanas and armadillos.

AzianBrewer

I had great pizza in Cozumel, but that was back in 1978, and I went to the pizza restaurant because I had pretty much tried all the other restaurants in town (at that time) that I wanted. Sometimes it's nice for a bit of variety, and I will also admit that the pizza was great! I think the cheese they used was Oaxacan. When I was last in Playa Del Carmen, it was a very small town, and a pizza restaurant would have been a nice option. I only went to PDC to catch the ferry to Cozumel, however, but I've been there quite a few times, although not recently.

I once made a pizza in Mexico City at a friend's house and forgot that I was at high altitude! The dough rose all over the place, and I had never seen anything like that. It tasted good in the end, however, and I used Oaxacan cheese on it. Restaurants in Mexico have changed a lot in the past 30 years.

Is it Pizza Pazza? I think they have a location across from El Oasis just off 5th maybe on Calle 12? They might have 1 or 2 other locations.

From what I have heard Playa Del carmen is up and running. 95% of the town is operating in the tourist area's.

PDC is a good food choice for a tourist area IMO. Cheap local eats to very good upper end dining.

Regards,

Theabroma

AzianBrewer

These squares are not from Pizza Pazzo but a small joint on 5th and 26th. But I do like Pizza Pazzo's shrimps pizza with a couple of dashes of habanero!! One of the most interesting scene that I witnessed is people putting Worcestershire sauce in pizza.

• 1 month later...

Although we are highly enthused for Mexican regional cooking, we also like a change of pace from time to time. A number of years ago, we had superb pizzas at Pizza Rústica in Oaxaca city. There was one, with spinach and chile poblano that was wonderful.

Regards,

Theabroma

AzianBrewer

These squares are not from Pizza Pazzo but a small joint on 5th and 26th. But I do like Pizza Pazzo's shrimps pizza with a couple of dashes of habanero!! One of the most interesting scene that I witnessed is people putting Worcestershire sauce in pizza.

Buen provecho, Panosmex