• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

TallDrinkOfWater

New Generation Gins

Craig E   

The one time I tried to make a Pink Gin I used five "goodly" dashes, and found the result not to my liking in the least. So I'm wondering if I would like a more modest dashing (or even dropping--Wondrich suggests three drops!), or maybe the Pink Gin is just not for me. (For the record I quite like Angostura-heavy drinks in the sour & tiki & flip directions.)

Edited by Craig E (log)

brinza   

Oddly enough, I don't think I've ever tried it with just a small amount of bitters!  I suppose I should.  Ted Haigh's recipe was the first time I encountered the drink, so I went ahead and made it that way, and liked it.  It's not something I make very often, though.  I had it in a restaurant once by requesting "Gin & Bitters," and even though I had no idea how much bitters was used, it tasted fine. I imagine the bartender raised an eyebrow upon receiving the order!  Three drops, however, sounds rather minimal.  I might have to do some experimenting . . .

My dashes were generous. My bottle of Angostura pours very fast.

That drink is really all about the gin, adorned with a bit of bitters. I think it's a good way to taste new gins. It's a bit easier than sipping on neat gin. :D