• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Generation Gins

TallDrinkOfWater

It does work well with honey, but it tends to have a very powerful flavor of its own. Maybe cut the ratio of gin to honey and lemon? Edit: You could also cut the gin with vodka.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Yeah, considering bringing vodka back into my life...

I have a bottle of the Bols, and yes it has a distinctive flavor, but that's more the maltiness, which is sweet in its own way, and might just work.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Does anyone have any advice on a somewhat floral, lightly flavored, easy on the juniper gin? I tried making a Bee's Knees variant with Beefeater and sweet lemons (citrus limetta), and the gin just overpowered the juice - which is very delicate, totally unlike lemon juice. To get the flavor the sweet lemon juice to be expressed in the cocktail, I had to use a generous 3/4 oz of it, to a scant 1.5 oz of gin, and even then it wasn't as harmonious as I'd like.

Perhaps Bombay Sapphire? Or is there something even lighter?

I like Senica Drums Not too much juniper IMO

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Does anyone have any advice on a somewhat floral, lightly flavored, easy on the juniper gin? I tried making a Bee's Knees variant with Beefeater and sweet lemons (citrus limetta), and the gin just overpowered the juice - which is very delicate, totally unlike lemon juice. To get the flavor the sweet lemon juice to be expressed in the cocktail, I had to use a generous 3/4 oz of it, to a scant 1.5 oz of gin, and even then it wasn't as harmonious as I'd like.

Perhaps Bombay Sapphire? Or is there something even lighter?

One possibility is New Amsterdam which is very low on juniper and very citrusy, but not really floral.  It's almost closer to a lemon vodka than a gin, but it might work in your drink.  I might also suggest Bombay Sapphire East which adds lemongrass and peppercorns to the ten botanicals of the Bombay Sapphire.  Magellan is somewhat floral (being flavored with iris pedals), but I don't know if you'd call it "lightly flavored."  Quintessential might work, too.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

Gah, if only there were sample-sized bottlings of these...

Heh, yeah, I know what you mean. I live in Pennsylvania which has a crap selection of miniatures.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

God help me if every new gin introduction out there starts selling minis -- I'd have to try them all, and my liver would go up in flames.

A year or so ago there was a lot of hype about the reintroduction of Tanqueray Malacca, it was "the gin to mix with."  The fact that the only place I see it is on the shelf at Astor Spirits suggests you can't always trust the hype, but it hits the profile of, "tastes a little floral, less juniper."  Anyone tried it recently?

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

I've been having Malacca in Perfect Martinis (50ml/10ml/10ml) a bit lately at my favourite bar and greatly enjoying it.  But yes, I can see it getting lost in anything more complex.  Nice stuff in a gin-dominant drink, though.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

• 2 weeks later...

There are too many threads on gin.  What would be a good gin suggestion for someone who does not like gin?  To the best of my remembrance I have not tried gin for fifty years, and I know tastes can change with time.

I have a liter of Malacca on order.  Let's assume cost is no object, but of course it is.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

There are too many threads on gin.  What would be a good gin suggestion for someone who does not like gin?  To the best of my remembrance I have not tried gin for fifty years, and I know tastes can change with time.

I have a liter of Malacca on order.  Let's assume cost is no object, but of course it is.

Everyone likes gin.  Some people just don't know it yet.

I would recommend starting with something not too in-your-face juniper.  I would start with Beefeater over Tanqueray. Bombay Sapphire may be an ok entry.  and then try several cocktails in different categories before you decide if you like it or not.  I would suggest a French 75, Tom Colins, Negroni, Gin gin mule. Then splurge on a lime and good tonic for a gin and tonic - sipping it outside as a sundowner.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Well, I like rum, preferably lots of rum.  I like rye, cognac, slivovitz, tequila, and absinthe.  I'm OK with bourbon, and I don't dislike vodka but it does not do much for me.  I do not care for Scotch, Irish, or Canadian.

What I didn't like about gin was probably the juniper, citrus, or the alcohol.

Then splurge on a lime and good tonic for a gin and tonic - sipping it outside as a sundowner.

Thanks, but nope, I hate the taste of quinine.  It is a medical necessity and the only thing worse than quinine is no quinine.

Personally I'd go to a good bar and try some juniper-backward (??) gins. If you like floral flavors, Hendrick's might be a good place to start. Or Plymouth. A fresh Gimlet might be a simple cocktail where the gin would be present but balance with sweet/sour and citrus. Personally I don't care for an authentic gimlet with Rose's lime cordial. If you're brave, you might try a flight of gins neat to sample them side-by-side.

I applaud the experimentation with flavors that you used to dislike. Acquiring new tastes is a pleasure of maturity.

• Like 2

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Why post in a gin thread if you don't like it? Can't see the sense myself.

Should I have asked about gin in the mai tai thread?  A gin thread seemed a reasonable place to inquire about gin.  I've never tried gin as an adult that I can recall.  I am quite fond of asparagus but I never liked it till I was over twenty one.

• Like 1

Should I have asked about gin in the mai tai thread?  A gin thread seemed a reasonable place to inquire about gin.  I've never tried gin as an adult that I can recall.  I am quite fond of asparagus but I never liked it till I was over twenty one.

Maybe try a nice genever that is not very juniper forward or has a bit of age to mellow the juniper a bit.

I don't think of Ransom Old Tom gin as particularly juniper forward.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Good point. Do you have access to a well stocked bar where you could try a couple out rather than buying a bottle of something you mightn't like? Given what you said you like and didn't in spirits your taste preferences seem to be the opposite of mine. I don't particularly like Hendricks gin which is infused with rose and cucumber so that may be a possibility. You could also try chewing on a dried juniper berry; you will know quickly if the taste is for you or not. If it isn't perhaps gin may be a drink you will not like as although we talk about juniper being more or less forward, it is still a central component of the flavour elements in gin.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Bloom gin is (obviously) floral rather than juniperry or citrussy, with honeysuckle, chamomile and pomelo as the botanicals, and it has distribution in Canada through Good Spirits.

Spirit of Hven from Sweden has flavours of licorice, vanilla and spices with low juniper - not sure if that's available where you are, JNW.

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)