• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chili – Cook-Off 15

Chris Amirault

.....Olives in chili???  That surprised me.  How did they go together, would you mix them again?

The olives were good with it! They were just regular canned ripe olives, and I would have them again with chili if we're piling on the toppings like this. It reminded me of tacos or nachos and all that stuff. :smile:

Thanks, Linda. I was thinking there was another person in on it. I'm glad you posted a link.

Great idea about chili cassoulet or a cassoulet-style chili, Bill.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

That is a fascinating concept. A common use of your basic chili here is as a chili pie. This favorite of the pot luck circuit is normally assembled using masa or crushed tortilla chips or corn chips, cheese, onion maybe. You could switch the balance to more beans, maybe use crushed chips in place of the bread crumbs, vary the meat mix . . . HMMMMM!!! Yeah . . . pinto beans. How about some chorizo sausage? This has possibilities.

Oh, I like the idea of using crushed chips. I wish I could get the kind of chorizo I'd like to use here, but all we have is very finely ground, very fatty chorizo which is decent but not much like anything I've had in Texas (although I've certainly had very fatty chorizo in Texas, so I'm not explaining the difference well). What I'd like is chorizo links that could be cut into bigger chunks that wouldn't disintegrate after the long cooking time (I'm just now realizing I don't know what terms to use for the many kinds of chorizo I've run into, the raw stuff, the smoked, the canned-with-lard, the links with big chunks of meat in them...)

If I were going to do this, I'd probably use Emeril's Smoked Sausage -- it's the best sausage for gumbo that I can get my hands on here (where everything is kielbasa and brats), and this isn't gumbo of any sort, but it's ... well, it's as far from brats as gumbo is.

. . . . .

Oh, I like the idea of using crushed chips.  I wish I could get the kind of chorizo I'd like to use here, but all we have is very finely ground, very fatty chorizo which is decent but not much like anything I've had in Texas (although I've certainly had very fatty chorizo in Texas, so I'm not explaining the difference well).  What I'd like is chorizo links that could be cut into bigger chunks that wouldn't disintegrate after the long cooking time (I'm just now realizing I don't know what terms to use for the many kinds of chorizo I've run into, the raw stuff, the smoked, the canned-with-lard, the links with big chunks of meat in them...)

If I were going to do this, I'd probably use Emeril's Smoked Sausage -- it's the best sausage for gumbo that I can get my hands on here (where everything is kielbasa and brats), and this isn't gumbo of any sort, but it's ... well, it's as far from brats as gumbo is.

Yes, the crushed chips cook up to a wonderful texture in the old tamale pie. I think it would do very well in a "Chili Cassoulet." Talk about fusion cuisine. :laugh: If Wolfert ever hears of this she will probably go into apoplexy. (Just kidding. She is a very adventurous lady.)

Oh, I dunno . . . I have run into some pretty bad chorizo here. You have to really read the label to get something other than lips and lymph nodes. (I am NOT kidding.) The Mexican style here is basically the meat, paprika, garlic and vinegar. It is fresh, not smoked. I am learning that Spanish chorizo may be a very different thing. (BTW, I use smoked kielbasa in my gumbo all the time if I can't get my hands on andouille. Works great. :biggrin: )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

We made our chili partially on Sunday before going out to dinner with friends. Here is our mis en place for spicy red pork chili

58832637_89a0fa8495.jpg

into the fridge after browning the pork and adding all the spices, beer and water. Yesterday we simmered it for 2 hours and then added the kidney beans. then back in the fridge.

Here is is today, I simmered it a bit more and the flavors were just excellent! the meat melt in your mouth tender. Perfect amount of spice for us.

in the bowl before condiments

58832638_dca5dea8da.jpg

we topped ours with bacon (the meat was browned in the bacon fat), jack and cheddar cheese, scallion and sour cream. Sides were garlic toast and Pacifico.

This was definately one of the best chili's I've made. It's a keeper!

58833773_37c32939ff.jpg

Yes, the crushed chips cook up to a wonderful texture in the old tamale pie. I think it would do very well in a "Chili Cassoulet." Talk about fusion cuisine. :laugh: If Wolfert ever hears of this she will probably go into apoplexy. (Just kidding. She is a very adventurous lady.)

Oh, I dunno . . . I have run into some pretty bad chorizo here. You have to really read the label to get something other than lips and lymph nodes. (I am NOT kidding.) The Mexican style here is basically the meat, paprika, garlic and vinegar. It is fresh, not smoked. I am learning that Spanish chorizo may be a very different thing. (BTW, I use smoked kielbasa in my gumbo all the time if I can't get my hands on andouille. Works great. :biggrin: )

That's true, I've had lip chorizo ... I just miss the frequent trips to San Antonio to visit my ex's folks, and the inevitable chorizo and potato tacos for breakfast and four or five pounds of chorizo in the cooler to bring back with us. The biggest problem with travel is learning to miss things you don't have at home.

I'm going to try to make this this weekend. The Missus loves the black bean cassoulet I make sometimes, and while she's not as big a pinto bean fan as I am (she's from WA, she doesn't know from beans), I'm sure I can sell the concept despite the fact that we just had chili last week. And if I wait till the weekend, I can see if there are any fresh chiles left at the Farmer's Market.

little ms foodie . . . Your use of bacon is truly inspired. I have never thought of that, either. God, I love eGullet!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I bow to the Goddess of Bacon.

Need chili. Better check the freezer and pull out a butt or a chuck. I always have bacon :wub: on hand. Usually three or four different kinds from local smokehouses.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Is this the recipe you used?  I think I'm going to have to make this soon...it's just turning a wee bit chilly in this part of the world, and that means chili!  (And soups, but that's another thread!)

ding ding!! that is it. Seriously after just finishing another bowl for lunch, I have to say this chili kicks ass! Some of you may want to add a bit more spice but it is just perfect for us.

What cut of pork was it? Looks like shoulder to me....

another winner, I picked up a boneless pork shoulder roast at the butcher.

The use of bacon is also the recipe's idea, I can't take credit. But I will say that it makes it even that much better. I made the bacon on sunday and just crumbled it and stored it in a ziplock in the fridge.

I just posted Longhorn Ancho Chili in Recipe Gullet. It is a beef and pork red chili with a kick--a little Texas heresy but not much. Delicious!

Would someone help me and tie this thread to Recipe Gullet--Thanks so much.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

I went with a crockpot chili recipe from Cook's Country.

Here it is served with a chili and cheese cornbread.

platedchili.jpg

This is my meez.

chilimeez.jpg

Everything cooked during the day while I was at work. I added the beans during the final hour of cooking.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Tonight it was green chile stew, which is a spiritual cousin to the more common red chili. I put together a recipe that's an amalgam of a number found on the web, trying to recreate the flavors I've had in New Mexico. (And I hope it also counts for this cookoff!)

For the meat, I use pork. Some recipes use chicken, but pork is more common, and I like the richer flavors it brings. What cut is used depends on how long I'm starting before dinner. I've made it with everything from sirloin chops to country style ribs - I wouldn't use a "better" cut than the sirloin chops because the chile stew does have to simmer awhile to get the flavors to blend. It's roughly 1 lb of pork for the proportions I'm giving below, in 1/2" - 3/4" cubes.

In season, I'll roast and peel Hatch chiles myself (with much cursing), but since it's the off season, I buy 'em frozen. I like to use roughly 2/3 mild chiles to 1/3 hot chiles to get a comfortable heat level. During one trip to New Mexico I picked up a bottle of hot green chile sauce, figuring how hot could it be? Unbearably. That batch of chile had half the liquid poured off and more mild chiles and tomatoes added to get it down to edible level....and the leftovers added more than enough heat to a batch later on. I use about 6.5 oz of chiles per batch (half a 13 oz frozen tub, eyeballed, about a cup).

From my research, there's a lot of argument about how many tomatoes to add - some say none, some say lots, the general consensus seems to be enough tomatoes to balance the chiles, but not enough to turn it as red as red chili. I admit I probably use too many, but that's because I like how the sweetness of the tomatoes play off the unmistakeable chile flavors. This usually translates to "dump in 1 14.5 oz can of tomatoes", except I still have so many homegrown tomatoes sitting around that I chopped up a bunch of them tonight and tossed them in.

Seasonings are simple: onion (I use half a small or a quarter of a larger, diced), garlic (coupla cloves), cumin (1 tsp), ground coriander (1/2 tsp), and a shake or two of traditional chili powder, just because. Sometimes I skip the garlic.

Brown the pork, add in the onions until translucent, add in the seasonings and cook until fragrant, toss in the chiles and tomatoes, and let it simmer until the pork is tender. If there isn't enough liquid to simmer, add some chicken broth. Salt and pepper to taste.

Some recipes call for thickening the stew with flour, cornmeal, or cornstarch, but I prefer just to let it simmer until it naturally thickens.

So here's tonight's version, served on a tortilla, topped with cheese, sour cream, and cilantro:

gallery_15557_1141_21609.jpg

There was one little error in it - seems I forgot to add in the hot chiles. Oops. It was still very fragrant and tasted wonderfully of green chile.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

ding ding!! that is it. Seriously after just finishing another bowl for lunch, I have to say this chili kicks ass! Some of you may want to add a bit more spice but it is just perfect for us.

I haven't stopped thinking about that chili since I saw your picture of it. I went shopping for the ingredients today--found some kidney beans, but the cheapest pork roast I could find was Y1800/kilo! (That's actually not so bad, since the beef tail--ox tail?--was Y2700/kg!). I'm going to have to wait until I can make a Costco trip. Three more days of just dreaming about that chili! Woe is me! :sad:

On Monday I made a vegetarian chili recipe that I picked up at a cooking class a few years back. I love all kinds of chili, the meatier the better, but this one makes a decent light meal.

The strange ingredient that makes this work is zucchini. It really serves to take the place of the meat.

gallery_7851_477_56987.jpg

This picture is actually from the last time I made this (my camera is packed away for my impending move to a new house), but it looked the same.

The recipe (from my recollection at work) is as follows:

medium diced onion

cloves garlic

1 can diced tomatoes

2 cans black beans

1 cup frozen corn

1 diced red pepper (or green)

2 zucchini diced

2 cups vegetable stock or broth

8 oz can tomato sauce (I used a roasted garlic one this last time)

2 tbs chili powder

2 tbs red wine vinegar

1 tsp cumin

1 tbs oregano

Salt and hot sauce to taste

Satuee onions, garlic until translucent

Add red pepper and zucchini cook for 3 minutes

Add tomatoes cook for three minutes

Add rest of ingredients and bring to brief boil then simmer until ready to serve

Very fast and hearty considering there is no meat.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

I can't quite believe I'm writing this, but: Bill, that looks damned tasty! Say more about what the zucchini does. I'm surprised and interested that it works. This recipe makes me wonder if grilling those vegetables before sautéing might add a nice smoky touch.

This recipe reminds me of a veggie chili recipe that a friend used to make back in the day that used TVP. Anyone use that? Anyone even know what it is? (I know, I'm dating myself...!)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Okay, my turn.

I made my first cook-off batch on Wednesday, according to my standard recipe, more or less.

Since no two batches are exactly alike, consider the above recipe a rough guide. The proportions are those used in Wednesday's batch.

Sorry, no mise-en-place photos. I can tell you that I used Furmano's diced tomatoes with cilantro and lime and America's Choice chili beans. Because I used a 39-ounce can, I balanced it with three pounds of ground beef.

The result, photographed partly eaten the day after I made it:

gallery_20347_2011_605137.jpg

And in the bowl:

gallery_20347_2011_153902.jpg

Finally, topped with cheese:

gallery_20347_2011_341730.jpg

This batch was on the mild side by my standards. There's still some left as I type.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

That's a good point, Sandy, about no two batches being alike. That's a difference between this Cook-Off and some of the others. Chili is probably the last thing for which I would ever write or post a recipe, or would follow a recipe -- no measuring of ingredients here. It was mostly in the spirit of this being a Cook-Off that I even listed what was in it.

Your's looks good. Traditional. You mentioned it was on the mild side for you. My version for this Cook-Off was a bit too hot for me.

Nevertheless, and after all, this Cook-Off is a fun one!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

That's a good point, Sandy, about no two batches being alike.  That's a difference between this Cook-Off and some of the others.  Chili is probably the last thing for which I would ever write or post a recipe, or would follow a recipe -- no measuring of ingredients here.  It was mostly in the spirit of this being a Cook-Off that I even listed what was in it.

Your's looks good.  Traditional.  You mentioned it was on the mild side for you.  My version for this Cook-Off was a bit too hot for me.

Nevertheless, and after all, this Cook-Off is a fun one!

Yes, Susan and Sandy. This is a great cookoff. Ground meat, cubed meat. Beef, pork chicken, turkey or vegetables. Red beans or white beans, or no beans. The endless variety of chili's and powders. The accompaniments.

Deep down, I knew that all of these different kinds of chili existed. But to see them described in detail, and see them adorned with all of the various accoutrements brings it home!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I was home all day today, and the baby cooperated, so I was able to make my first ever cook-off recipe.

The other day, I bought a chuck roast in preparation for the chili. This morning, I placed it in the freezer for about 40 minutes and then cut it into 1/2 inch pieces:

gallery_19707_1686_112416.jpg

You can also see some fresh tomatoes (peeled, seeded and chopped) on the cutting board. The chopped up chuck was a change for me, as I am usually a ground beef kind of gal (at least for my chili).

Once chopped, I put the chuck into my beloved :wub: Le Creuset dutch oven with a splash of EVOO:

gallery_19707_1686_113179.jpg

I browned the beef for a bit and added some minced onion (of the dehydrated variety - didn't want to wake the baby for a trip to the grocery store), two chopped green peppers, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and ground ancho. I then tossed in the tomatoes, added about four cups of water and let the whole thing simmer for a few hours. I later added a can of organic tomato sauce, more water, a can of black beans and bag of frozen corn.

We ate the chili garnished with crushed tortilla chips, avocado, shredded cheese and Greek-style yogurt:

gallery_19707_1686_56062.jpg

It was awesome. I froze the leftovers in small ziplocs to reheat for my daughter's lunch. She loves bringing chili in a thermos. I pack her a small tupperware of sour cream or yogurt and another small tupperware with shredded cheese.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac