• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chili – Cook-Off 15

This is one of those times I wish I had never opened my mouth. As I said above, I have nothing against using fresh tomatoes and roasted green chiles to make a salsa. I simply meant that I tend not to mix green chiles into a sauce that is made with dried red chiles or red chile powder. And if I am having a "verde" dish, be it enchiladas or posole or whatever, if I wanted more heat I would chose to add roasted green chiles over any type of hot red salsa, bottled or otherwise.

Thanks @Lisa Shock for clarifying the "Christmas" concept. Now I sort of remember those combo plates: basically if you can't decide if you want red enchiladas or green enchiladas you can get both kinds next to each other on the same plate.

And of course the truth is that you use what you have to make something you like to eat. That's the nature or regional cooking.

As for Hatch Chiles, the story is long and twisty, and anyone confused about the type of chile pepper that is grown in the Hatch NM area can join the crowd. There is something called the New Mexico Chile pepper, and it is grown widely. And, as you would expect, it's all about terroir. The area around Hatch just seems to produce a heat and flavor that's very appealing. In the sixties and seventies when I lived there, the heat (Scoville type) was reliably consistent: Everyone seemed to be in agreement that Hatch chiles were very hot. Obviously they were using seeds that produced a distinctive chile.

Now I think Hatch growers are producing milder chiles called "Big Jim" and others, and the last time I tasted so called Hatch chiles they were not as hot as I remember, and individuals varied within batches. I believe most of the crop is picked green for the markets and for roasting, but I'm sure some make it to a ripe red color if they get picked later and could be dried if so desired. Again, I don't pretend to be an expert; a NM botanist or Ag Sci from UNM might be a good source. Or some very dutiful research on the net, being careful to sift for misinformation. Mine included.   

• Like 1

all-righty then....

testing out a recipe for a new book that includes beef cut into cubes, ground bison and ground pork.  

The instructions said it feeds eight.....eight linebackers, maybe.

I have the first go round in my Dutch oven but will have to split up this in order to add the next set of herbs and the beans.

Smelling pretty good so far.......

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

6 hours ago, suzilightning said:

all-righty then....

testing out a recipe for a new book that includes beef cut into cubes, ground bison and ground pork.  

The instructions said it feeds eight.....eight linebackers, maybe.

I have the first go round in my Dutch oven but will have to split up this in order to add the next set of herbs and the beans.

Smelling pretty good so far.......

I'd love to see the recipe although I'd understand if you aren't allowed to  share it.

Just now, lindag said:

I'd love to see the recipe although I'd understand if you aren't allowed to  share it.

not yet but probably within 3-4 months....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Goodness, haven't been in here in awhile and first thing I see is chili.  Here's my recipe.

This recipe is easy to multiply where I’ve made it for 50 servings.  First time I followed the recipe exactly and it was a winner.  You may want to do the same.

Serves 6-8
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 lb. chili meat
4 cloves fresh garlic (peeled and chopped finely) 
1 medium onion (chopped, medium) 
1-15 oz. can Tomato Sauce
1 quart chicken broth
½ tsp. Salt
5 tbsp. vegetable oil
4 tbsp. flour
4 tbsp. chili powder
½ tsp. Ground cumin
½ tsp black pepper

Slowly brown the meat, garlic and onions in 1 tbsp. vegetable oil.  Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, monosodium glutamate and salt.  

Simmer one hour.  Heat the 5 tbsp. vegetable oil in a sauce pan over medium low heat.  Fry the flour, pepper, cumin, and chili powder for 5 minutes, then add this roux to the meat.  Be careful not to burn the flour. Simmer over low heat for ½ hour.  Serve in bowls with hot corn tortillas or saltines.

I like it with Saltines.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

And I want a table for two and a chicken for eight o'clock.

Haven't made chili for a while. Found this recipe called "Our Favorite Texas Beef Chili" by Rhoda Boone Epicurious September 2014

No beans, no tomato. Called for the following chilis: dried ancho chiles, guajillo chiles, pasilla chiles,  chipotle chiles, and chiles de árbol. These were roasted then soaked in hot water before being pureed. I skipped the cayenne pepper.

The recipe said cooking time of 3 hours. I used my Instant Pot on the chili setting - 30 minutes, but the cubes of beef were not quite "tender". Put it on for another 15 minutes along with a can of black beans. Beans ended up mushy enough to "thicken" the chili.

Nice bit of heat (not overpowering. Good enough to warm me up on our first real snowfall.

Eaten with shredded Tex-Mex cheese and pita bread.

59fa962e49e01_TexasChili1425.jpg.e98945ddd151608b8dccacc5062887fa.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

My New Mexico roots go pretty deep. I often reply "Christmas" to that most New Mexican of questions: "Red or green?"

But I've never seen them mixed together in one bowl. It's not like that. Perhaps it's easier to understand if you think of it as: "Red sauce or green sauce on your enchiladas, huevos rancheros, chile relleno, mojarra...?"

Or if you were asked whether you prefer the chocolate or the raspberry sauce on your dessert crepes.

And you replied that you'd like a little of each. 

In the case of the chile sauces, that would be, "Christmas."

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 3

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I recently found this article on seriouseats.com titled "The Best Chili Ever Recipe."

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/the-best-chili-recipe.html

It's one of those pieces that troubleshoots and discusses every aspect of chili, from which kind of meat to use, dried chiles vs. chili powder, etc. I adopted several of the themes in a batch for Halloween and everyone raved about it. Short ribs made for amazing chili (even though my wife prefers ground beef, which I find rather boring). I think reading this through several times has given me some new ideas about chili, which I used to always just wing without any recipe or guidance (and still had some great results).

One thing I never understood is why so many people outside of Texas fret about whether or not to add beans, in terms of "authenticity." No offense to Texans, but I live in Maryland. Why on earth should I care what Texas thinks belongs in my chili?! I've done it both ways. But I vastly prefer chili with beans. And if you're feeding a crowd -- and started with pricey short rib, e.g. -- it certainly helps flesh out the pot.

• Like 3
  • Similar Content

• By Chris Amirault
      Every now and then since December 2004, a good number of us have been getting together at the eGullet Recipe Cook-Off. Click here for the Cook-Off index.
      For our sixth Cook-Off, we're going to be making pad thai. You've surely eaten this Thai restaurant staple dozens of times, marvelling at the sweet, sour, hot, and salty marriage on your plate. There are lots of variations of pad thai floating around the internet, including one by mamster at the eGCI Thai Cooking course. While there is one ingredient -- rice noodles -- that may be hard for some to find, most ingredients or substitutes are available at your local grocer. And, if you're new to Thai cooking, isn't now a good time to get your first bottle of fish sauce or block of tamarind?
      In addition to the course, here are a few threads to get us started:
      The excellent Thai cooking at home thread discusses pad thai in several spots.
      A brief thread on making pad thai, and one on vegetarian pad thai.
      For the adventurous, here is a thread on making fresh rice noodles.
      Finally, a few folks mention pad thai in the "Culinary Nemesis" thread. Fifi, snowangel, and Susan in FL all mention in the fried chicken thread that pad thai is also a culinary nemesis of theirs. So, in true cook-off style, hopefully we can all share some tips, insights, recipes, and photos of the results!
      I'll start by asking: does anyone know any good mail-order purveyors for folks who can't purchase rice noodles at their local Asian food store?
    • By Chris Amirault
      Every now and then since December 2004, a good number of us have been getting together at the eGullet Recipe Cook-Off. Click here for the Cook-Off index.
      For our thirteenth Cook-Off, we're making fresh and stuffed Italian pastas, including gnocchi. I would take a bit here and try to say some intelligent things about pasta in general, but I'm very happy to defer to my betters in the eGullet Society's Culinary Institute! Check out Adam Balic's Pasta around the Mediterranean course here, and click here for and the associated Q&A thread. In addition, Moby Pomerance has three eGCI courses: the first on stuffed pastas in general (Q&A here), and the other two on Tortelli, Ravioli & Cappelletti and Pansotti, Tortelloni and Raviolo.
      Of course, there are also lots of other related threads, including several on gnocchi like this one, this one, and this one; a few fresh pasta threads here, here and here; and a thread on pasta machines.
      So break out your Atlas hand-cranked machine (or, if you're like me, start to justify buying that KitchenAid mixer pasta attachment!), dice up a few heirloom tomatoes, and start cooking! No machine? Then you're on tap for gnocchi, my friend!
    • By Chris Amirault
      Welcome to eGullet Cook-Off XLIV! Click here for the Cook-Off index.
      We've just devoted a Cook-Off to braised brisket, and we're turning again to moist, well-cooked proteins for our next adventure: ossobuco. You will see it spelled a number of different ways out there, but Marcella Hazan refers to it as one word in her definitive Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking, so I'm going with that spelling. No reason to argue with Marcella, after all.
      Ossobuco is braised veal shank, named after the "bone with a hole" that used to be attached to the hind shank of a calf. (Let's all agree to stick to veal, and not have, say, halibut ossobuco. ) The classic Milanese version includes vegetables, tomatoes, wine, and broth, and is served with risotto alla milanese, perfumed with saffron, and with gremolada.
      Some of the versions out there are a bit wacky. In particular, The Silver Spoon Cookbook simmers the 2" thick shanks for 30 minutes atop the stove. Given that Hazan has 1 1/2" shanks in a 350F oven for two hours, I'm pretty sure the SSC is a waste of good veal. Indeed, I'd think that a much lower oven for longer would work wonders.
      There are more things to talk about here than just braising temps and times! For example, many other versions of ossobuco depart from the Milanese approach. In her out-of-print More Classic Italian Cooking, Hazan provides the recipe for Ossobuchi in Bianco, the white referring to a sauce lacking tomato. In The Fine Art of Italian Cooking, Giuliano Bugialli offers ossobuco Florentine style, with peas and pancetta, and Lynne Rossetto Kasper's Italian Country Table offers a home-style version with mushrooms, favas or snap peas, and more intense flavors such as anchovy, sage, and rosemary.
      We have one short discussion of ossobuco here, and an even shorter one on wine pairings here. Indeed, as is often the case with Italian food, the best discussion is the one shepherded by Kevin72, the Cooking and Cuisine of Lombardia, which muses on on the dish's origins and execution throughout.
      I'm wondering a few things myself. Some folks say that braised veal cannot be reheated, unlike other dishes that benefit from a night in the fridge. I'm also wondering what other sorts of sides -- polenta, say, or the Italian mashed potatoes that Hazan suggests for the ossobuchi in bianco -- would work and/or are traditional.
      So who wants to welcome the new year with some bones with holes?
    • By Chris Amirault
      For our third Cook-Off, we've chosen Indian lamb curry. Yes, it's true: that's a huge category for a cook-off, and saying "Indian" is about as stupidly broad as saying "American." However, like gumbo, there are some basic elements to most of the many, many permutations of this dish, and several cook-off participants wanted to start cooking Indian at home with several options.
      So, instead of choosing a specific lamb curry, I thought that having a conversation about those different permutations (like the gumbo okra/roux discussion, say) would be interesting and fun. I also wanted to avoid too particular ingredients that some of our cook-off pals can't get in certain places.
      A few things that we can discuss, photograph, and share include:
      -- the spice mixture: If you've never toasted your own spices, then you have a world of aromatic wonder ahead. I'm sure many people can share their ingredients, ratios, and toasting tips for curry powders that will blow away the garbage in your grocery's "spice" aisle. We can also have the ground vs. whole debate, if there are takers!
      -- the paste: many curry dishes involve frying a blended paste of onion, garlic, and/or ginger, along with the spices, in oil or ghee (clarified butter). I found that learning how to cook that paste -- which requires the same sort of patience demanded by roux -- was the key to making a deep, rich curry.
      -- accompaniments: rice dishes or bread (I have a pretty good naan recipe that I'd be glad to try out again).
      Here are a couple of related eGullet threads:
      lamb kangari
      a lamb and goat thread
      If anyone finds more, post 'em!
      So: find yourself a leg of lamb to bone, sharpen your knives, and get ready to update your spice drawer!
    • By Chris Amirault
      Welcome to the eGullet Recipe Cook-Off! Click here for the Cook-Off index.
      This cook-off focuses on felafel. I've enjoyed fine felafel here in the US and overseas, but I have literally no idea how to make this, the national street food of at least a handful of Middle Eastern countries. Several people who have recommended this cook-off did so because, while they felt they had some clues, they didn't really have a consistently successful recipe or method. Sounds like a good cook-off topic, eh?
      There are a few topics on the felafel matter, including this one on tips and tricks, an older topic that finds more woes than techniques, and this preparation topic, How Do You Like Your Falafel? I also found this recipe by Joan Nathan, which seems like it might be useful.
      But what do I know? Not much, I'll tell you. Time to chime in, you!