• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chili – Cook-Off 15

Chris Amirault

AH HA! Chris is now a convert to the 1/2 inch dice AAAAAANNNNND. . . NOT soaking his beans!

BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Take it from someone who knows where all the chocolate in the house is hidden -- the past tense of "snuck" is "snack."

I didn't use 1/2" dice on any of the meat in the cassoulet chili, but the cassoulet method really breaks the meat down. I can't actually distinguish the chorizo in it at all, not visually or texturally -- see, this is why I'd hoped to find Spanish-style chorizo with the chunks of lomo in it, and Louisiana smoked chaurice would've been a fine substitute -- and the skirt steak (in pieces ranging from 1/2" to maybe 2"x1") wound up in pieces barely bigger than the beans, by and large.

(Interestingly, the smoked pulled pork is still pretty intact and dicernible. I kind of sort of think that makes sense but can't figure how to put it.)

That looks awesome! Is this the recipe you used? I think I'm going to have to make this soon...it's just turning a wee bit chilly in this part of the world, and that means chili! (And soups, but that's another thread!)

Let's say I used the above recipe to make chili. But suppose I didn't have crushed tomatoes with puree, and instead substituted diced tomatoes (no puree) and added the whole can (liquid and all). But now, the chili is looking a little more liquidy than it probably should (after having simmered for 90 minutes already). When I add the beans, will that help thicken it? Or should I add something else? Puree some canned tomatoes? Help my chili!

All this is purely hypothetical, of course, lest y'all think I'm one of those people that substitutes everything, then asks, "What did I do wrong?"

But help would be appreciated!!! :biggrin:

(Did I mention I didn't have any oregano, so I put in some sage, instead?)

Edited to ask: Do you skim the grease off the chili, or just mix it all in for that extra fatty flavour? What to do, what to do....

Skim the excess, but add masa mixed with water to thicken and add flavor. I don't know about the sage.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

I have a question . . .

While cleaning out a drawer, I found a recipe for chili that I got from a friend. She has won several chili cook-offs with it so she has asked me not to share. But, here is the question. It starts with a mixture of ground and cubed meat. The meat isn't browned. You break it up in the water and proceed to cook it adding the seasonings as you go. I have never tried it but am really wondering about not browning the meat. For some dumb reason that just sounds yukky to me. But then, it is a consistent winner.

Any comments on cooking chili this way?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I have a question . . .

While cleaning out a drawer, I found a recipe for chili that I got from a friend. She has won several chili cook-offs with it so she has asked me not to share. But, here is the question. It starts with a mixture of ground and cubed meat. The meat isn't browned. You break it up in the water and proceed to cook it adding the seasonings as you go. I have never tried it but am really wondering about not browning the meat. For some dumb reason that just sounds yukky to me. But then, it is a consistent winner.

Any comments on cooking chili this way?

The Cook's Illustrated recipe for Cincinatti-style chili, which uses ground beef only, has the beef is broken up in boiling water for 30 second, drained, then returned to the pot with liquid after the onions and garlic are cooked. I'm not sure what the rationale for that is, but the chili tastes fine.

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I can't quite believe I'm writing this, but: Bill, that looks damned tasty! Say more about what the zucchini does. I'm surprised and interested that it works. This recipe makes me wonder if grilling those vegetables before sauteing might add a nice smoky touch.

This recipe reminds me of a veggie chili recipe that a friend used to make back in the day that used TVP. Anyone use that? Anyone even know what it is? (I know, I'm dating myself...!)

Sorry I missed your question last week. The zucchini doesn't add much in the way of flavor to the chili, but after it cooks up and absorbs the flavors of the other ingredients it adds texture - a little chew - and some bulk. It makes it feel more stew-like, rather than soupy.

Grilling strips of the zucchini would be an interesting addition to the taste.

Bill Russell

I'm at work so I can't get the specific reference, but I believe that the discussion of chili in the Time/Life American Cooking volume also includes a comment about the meat NOT being browned. I'll try to dig it out when I get home tonight!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I finally got to make chili today. I used the Cooks Illustrated Chili con Carne recipe & then varied it based on the actual spices I had in the house, and used a poblano in place of the jalapenos.

Here it is all dressed up and ready to eat

gallery_20334_1332_80323.jpg

served with fresh cornbread of course

gallery_20334_1332_116508.jpg

It came out wonderfully in spite of a MAJOR problem with the recipe text. The line about when to add in the spice paste had been deleted somehow :blink: so I simmered for 2 hours before I realized that the spices should have been in there all along. (I felt like there was something wrong but didn't act on it - always a mistake!) So we tossed in the chili paste and simmered another 30-odd minutes till we couldn't wait anymore! I'm sure it would be better if done right, but it's mighty tasty as is. And the perfect spice level for me: very perky in the mouth, but not going to rip my head off :biggrin:

We finished up with some home-made pumpkin ice-cream for a perfect Fall meal.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I made my chili last week. As mentioned, it was slightly more watery due to the lack of tomato puree, and the addition of the diced tomato liquid. Oops. It was still very delicious--the meat was oh-so-tender and flavourful. As mentioned, the sage added a not-so-chili-like flavour. I didn't have any cayenne, either. So I was going to add some hot paprika, but ended up with crushed chile flakes, instead.

I didn't have masa harina to add to help thicken it, so I just let it simmer for a longer period of time. It worked, but it didn't do much to help amalgamate some of the grease floating on top, so I decided to skim some off. Not all of it, mind you, as I'm a firm believer that fat tastes good! So I took off just under 1/3 cup, and left another 1/3 cup on the chili, and just mixed it in when it came to eating it.

Even with just half a recipe, this made much too much for me, so I have some handy dandy ziploc containers full of chili in my freezer, ready for my next craving!

Thanks for all the help! Does anyone know a good use for skimmed off chili fat? I saved it, just in case I could do something yummy with it!

Interesting question . . . what to do with the skimmed chili fat. Hmmmm . . .

I know! Use it for some hash browns for breakfast. I never thought of that before. I mean, saving the chili fat. Brilliant!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

On Saturday I made Katie's Turkey, Chorizo and Black bean chili.

I actually found frozen ground turkey at an international market so I was quite happy. Unfortunately I couldn't get black beans so I had to substitute canned kidney beans, I added these later in the cooking so I had to change the recipe a bit... I couldn't find the kind of chorizo that can be crumbled, so instead I added slices of sausage link like chorizo.

The family loved it!

I tried to take a picture but my batteries were dead, of course the picture wouldn't have been worthy of this thread anyway. :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

We chili'd last night. My family has been fairly firmly in the ground meat camp, so I did the 1/2" dice with a nice chuck.

Voila! Absolutely perfect. I'd always done the 1-1/2" to 2" dice before, which gave us sort of a stew with chili sauce and hunks of meat. The 1/2" dice -- some of the odd pieces melt, and the chunks are small enough that they are, well, wonderfully redolent of the chili. The meat is easier to dice if it is slightly frozen.

The pain is browning these cubes. I gave up on browning them on all sides, just tossing them into hot oil (I used bacon fat; I would have had to go downstairs for olive or some other oil). Once seared on side side, I have them a toss and hoped for the best. Repeated.

I tried a toasted dried pepper paste like Chris did, but no one liked the taste, so I went with a mixture of ground peppers and a mess of cumin seeds, as well as some ground cumin.

I realized as I was getting started on this the night before that I didn't have any dried beans, but had a can of kidney beans and one of canneli beans, so that's what I used.

Peter has his own unique style of plating chili.

gallery_6263_35_30643.jpg

And, his own unique style of eating the chili. The purpose of the spoon is to scoop chili onto the "utensil" -- a saltine.

gallery_6263_35_6878.jpg

He grated the cheese himself and used a finer grater than I prefer. My big disappointment was that the cilantro in the crisper wasn't crisp but rather slimey.

Oh, well. This was a superb batch of chili. I keep the heat down for Heidi and Peter, and added chipotle Tabasco to mine.

I love chili. I am glad that there is enough leftover for a couple of lunches this week.

My new chili mantra -- 1/2" dice. 1/2" dice.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

We did chili this past week, and I'm sorry, but it was the boring ground beef kind. I almost had a revolt when I suggested trying the diced chuck. The thing I like about chili is that I can pretty much throw whatever I've got on hand in the pot and just let it simmer away for most of the day.

I don't put a lot of different spices in my chili, and yes, I use canned tomatoes, kidney beans and sauce. I also used the ground ancho that Anna brought me back.

gallery_6080_2047_51284.jpg

And I usually saute some onions and garlic and throw that in:

gallery_6080_2047_9049.jpg

I always use some red wine in my chili and some chipotle tabasco. No, the peanut butter did not go in the chili. I just forgot to move it out of the way.

gallery_6080_2047_13832.jpg

Finished chili, topped with shredded cheese and sour cream:

gallery_6080_2047_23824.jpg

gallery_6080_2047_10194.jpg

I also made some skillet cornbread to go with it:

gallery_6080_2047_30764.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

We all seem to be getting into the spirit of chili. It is one of those things that invites innovation and using what you have. And it always comes out good. Well, almost always. I have had a watery mess in a "City Cafe" (doesn't every small town have one?) at some town in East Texas that was pretty awful. Then there was a pasty mess made with meat moosh that assaulted a perfectly innocent hot dog at some festival. Luckily those abominations are few and far between.

snowangel . . . Tell Peter that his chili eating technique shows great sophistication and is absolute proof that he has excellent parents who are obviously raising him right. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I haven't read every post in this thread but I hope everyone knows that it's a cardinal sin to cook beans in chili. If you're going to add beans at all then they should be boiled separately, drained, washed off, and added last. Cheese is an absolute no-no too!

Here's a killer Cajun chili recipe that I've modified over the years (the original recipe was called Ole Homer Delacroix's Bowl of Fire):

Heat 1/4c olive oil in a 6-quart iron pot, then add 3-lbs. diced lean beef (never veal) and sear over high heat, stirring constantly until the meat is gray but not brown. The meat, Homer says, will have the consistency of whole-grain hominy.

Add 1-qt. water and cover. Cook at simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

Then add:

8 chilis or 6T chili powder (I grow my own tabasco peppers)

3t salt

10 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1t ground cumin

1t oregano or marjoram

1t red pepper

1T sugar

3T paprika

Cook another 30-minutes at simmer. Then add:

3T flour

6T cornmeal

1 cup water

(Mix the above 3 ingredients together in a bowl before adding to the chili)

Cook another 5 minutes more to determine if more water is needed.

If you want beans to go with the chili then prepare them as follows:

Boil and drain the beans thoroughly before adding them to the chili, for if there is any bean liquid left it will detract from the chili flavor. Better yet, place the beans in the bottom of a bowl and spoon the chili on top of them right as you serve it. If you want onions, serve them separate on the side. NEVER NEVER EVER cook onions or beans in chili!!!

Note: This chili helps improve your memory! The next day when you go to the bathroom, you'll remember you ate it!!!

Edited by LunaSea (log)

Cheese is an absolute no-no too!

It is a well-established law of cheesodynamics that cheese is never a no-no.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Cheese is an absolute no-no too!

It is a well-established law of cheesodynamics that cheese is never a no-no.

Hear, hear! Absolutely correct :biggrin:. One of my favorite Tex-Mex dishes is enchiladas, cheese and chili, and I learned about it from some folks named Garcia (Joe T's) in Fort Worth many, many years ago. They used jack cheese, I think, but sharp cheddar works well also.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Tried a new way to make chili.

Once again prepared the beans using the Parson's method and threw in a chipotle and a clove of garlic into the pot as well.

Made a paste of soaked anchos, chipotles in adobo, onion, garlic, and lemon juice

Sauteed green peppers and onions. Added the chili paste and cooked a bit. Added cumin (this is where I went wrong - I put in too much cumin). Added some beer - Abita Turbodog. Threw in the ground beef (which had already been browned), beans, and some diced tomatoes. Let it simmer for awhile.

End result was good -- nice amount of heat, but there was too much cumin.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Thanks to this thread (I made this chili a while ago but am just getting around to posting) I tried chili with cubes of chuck. The texture was vastly improved, and it will be hard to make it with ground beef again.

I also apparently made many no-nos, as I used onion and beans. But I'm nowhere close to Texas or cajun country, so I'm just fine with making bastardized chili. :)

What went into mine: few lbs of cubed chuck, a sweet yellow onion, a green bell pepper, chili powder, chipotles in adobo sauce, pureed tomatoes, beer (porter), and half a cinnamon stick. Browned the beef, removed it from the pot, sweated the onion, garlic and green pepper, then threw everything but the beans in and let it simmer for a few hours. It was good, but it needed a little tweaking. Next time I think I will attempt to make my own chili powder.

Served up with copious amounts of cilantro, lime crema (lime juice and lime zest mixed in with sour cream), and a little cheese.

chili7be.jpg

I participated in the chili cook-off, making chili pretty much like I always have, with ground beef. However, next time I make it, I am using cubed chuck. I have a feeling I'll be a convert after that.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Thanks to this thread (I made this chili a while ago but am just getting around to posting) I tried chili with cubes of chuck. The texture was vastly improved, and it will be hard to make it with ground beef again.

I also apparently made many no-nos, as I used onion and beans. But I'm nowhere close to Texas or cajun country, so I'm just fine with making bastardized chili. :)

What went into mine: few lbs of cubed chuck, a sweet yellow onion, a green bell pepper, chili powder, chipotles in adobo sauce, pureed tomatoes, beer (porter), and half a cinnamon stick. Browned the beef, removed it from the pot, sweated the onion, garlic and green pepper, then threw everything but the beans in and let it simmer for a few hours. It was good, but it needed a little tweaking. Next time I think I will attempt to make my own chili powder.

Served up with copious amounts of cilantro, lime crema (lime juice and lime zest mixed in with sour cream), and a little cheese.

chili7be.jpg

I love your idea of mixing lime juice and zest with sour cream. Yum! I'll do this next time I make chili. :smile:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I participated in the chili cook-off, making chili pretty much like I always have, with ground beef.  However, next time I make it, I am using cubed chuck.  I have a feeling I'll be a convert after that.

And, your mantra will be 1/2" dice. Repeat after me. 1/2" dice. 1/2" dice. 1/2" dice.

I converted a family that vowed they would not be converted.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Well . . . Even die hard converts have been known to backslide when an attack of the lazies hits. :raz::laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"