• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Sushi in Vancouver

DutchMuse

Bistrol Sakana is great with the same fish supplier as Octopus, Tojo, etc etc. and it is in Yaletown with a great patio.

And the place in Aberdeen is no longer the same high-quality place (if it is even open anymore). It became a cheapo place after a few months b/c no one was purchasing the high end stuff....

• 1 year later...

I went again today to my favourite sushi place downtown - Matoi sushi on the 2nd floor of H-Mart at the corner of Seymour and Robson. It really reminds me of the best little cheap-and-good sushi joints I used to frequent in Tokyo, because of the quality of the food and the small size of the place. They only have a couple of square metres to work in. Everyone working there is Japanese and they really pay attention to the quality of their ingredients - the vinegared rice they use for their sushi is some of the best I've had in Vancouver. Their other items are great too - I had the katsu-don last week and it was phenomenal, nice and eggy with tender pork.

If anyone has any good recommendations for other top quality takeout sushi spots downtown, I'd love to hear them. Sushi Zero One on West Pender near Seymour is the only other sushi joint downtown that I've been consistently impressed with. Fujiya on West Pender is great for premade takeout sushi.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

• 1 year later...

Two and half years since this topic saw the front page, and almost as long since we've been to a great Sushi restaurant. It's our sixth anniversary on Sunday, where in Vancouver (besides Tojo) is fantastic? My old favourite wabi sabi is long gone. Is Yoshi still good/existent?

Whoa, has it really been that long since my last post?! That aside, I wanted to chime in on spots possibly worthy of an anniversary dinner:

• Yoshi's still does exist; however, Yoshihiro Tabo has been at the helm of Blue Water Cafe's Raw Bar since the summer of 2002. He's still extraordinarily skilled at his craft.
  • Zest on 16th at Macdonald still gets good marks as does its more casual baby sister, ShuRaku on Granville Street
  • Chef Nobu Ochi's sushi at Zen in West Vancouver also gets my nod.

Let us know where you end up! :smile:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Hey Mooshmouse! Where the heck have you been?

My new faves are Blue Water's raw bar, Lime (Commercial Dr) and Sushi Hachi (Odlin and Cambie in Richmond).

There are many good sushi bars now that the choices are overwhelming...plus I have really cut down on my sushi consumption these days.

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

Seeing as we're in North Van (our normal haunt is Hana Hachi on Lonsdale), we're most definitely not restricted to Vancouver. But I don't know about Richmond. Takumi looks nice. That's the old La Regalade space?

I like Zen, but my wife got a bad arrogance vibe there and doesn't want to go back unfortunately. I thought it was fantastic, even if our server was a bit of a b*tch and wore way too much perfume.

I've kind of been thinking about going to Zakkushi on 4th. While it's not strictly sushi, I've heard it's fantastic, and I've wanted to go for a long time.

As a side note, I went for lunch yesterday at Kura on Kingsway a bit west of willingdon. While for appearances it looks promising, the product was too passed its prime for it to be worth going back. The nori was chewy on my negi-toro, the Hamachi was grey and fishy (I would have sent it back if I had been with my wife), the toro was well, not. However the sunomono salad was fantastic, not too sweet like most places around here.

Mtigges, definitely check out Zakkushi! We usually go to the location on Main & King Ed, since they've got more seating, but it's a fun place to eat. Washrooms are really cool. :biggrin:

I'll put my vote in for En's on West 10th. I especially like their veggie sushi - it's different from your typical veg sushi, they put sundried tomatoes and shiso in it.

Hey, no fair... I thought you meant just sushi!

I'm a big fan of the Zakkushi on 4th. Small and intimate. How can you go wrong with meat on sticks?!

Takumi is in the former La Regalade Côte de Mer space. I was smitten with Takumi when it was still in Coquitlam; my two visits to the West Van spot were somewhat lacklustre.

Dan on West Broadway is also very consistent. Lime on The Drive is solid, quirky venue notwithstanding. And I'm forever a fan of Kingyo. However, not a fan of En.

Thanks for the shout out, fmed. I've just been hiding here in my little mouse hole, eatin' mah cheese... :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Hey, no fair... I thought you meant just sushi!

Yeah! That's why I had thought too!

Which is why I gave my three suggestions. For example, I would not go to Takumi for anything other than their sushi/sashimi. Conversely, while I am a big fan of Dan, Lime and a few others that have been named, they are really better in areas other than sushi/sashimi such that I don't consider them sushi-ya. And Zakkushi for sushi? I don't know...

As for En, I am afraid it's past its prime. But it's nice to go there to pay respect to the old master.

Two and half years since this topic saw the front page, and almost as long since we've been to a great Sushi restaurant. It's our sixth anniversary on Sunday, where in Vancouver (besides Tojo) is fantastic? My old favourite wabi sabi is long gone. Is Yoshi still good/existent?

I understand Yoshi is gone.

Best sushi in my opinion is:

Sushi Hachi Restaurant

8888 Odlin Crescent, #1278

Richmond, BC V6X3Z8

Tel: (604) 207-2882

Just husband and wife team, and make sure you book in advance, very busy they don't even do takeouts.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that the zakkushi idea was for its sushi. Turns out we'll go on Saturday instead since Sunday will be spent inside watching the Canucks earn a one game rest. I'm suspecting we'll probably go to Takumi since it seems more appropriate for a quiet evening celebrating an anniversary.

Thanks all!

So on a whim from a trusted friends recommendation we chose Dan on Broadway, right next to Moderne Burger. He has spent a lot of time in Japan, so I was willing to trust him, but thanks for all of your recommendations.

I think it was the third best sushi/japanese I've had in Vancouver after Tojo's and Wabi-Sabi. Everything was absolutely excellent.

I had a crab sunomono salad, which was traditionally made, not what you find everywhere here in Vancouver. And it was fantastic. Michelle had a Chawan Mushi which was also unbelievable. We didn't have one at Tojo's, but we did have one he prepared at Barabara-Jos one time, and I have to say Dans was better. Absolutely ethereal. If I lived in the area I would eat it regularly.

Some deep fried squid legs, big eye sushi, sea bream sashimi, aji tataki and steamed clams were the rest. Everything was absolutely fresh and delicious.

The table next to us had a whole grilled squid which looked amazing.

The service staff are friendly and polite. And I can definitely attest that it isn't over-priced. The best valued meal I've had in the city in a long time.

I HIGHLY recommend it, We will be going back regularly.

• 4 years later...