• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Sushi in Vancouver

DutchMuse

There's a Tojo's thread here

Tsunami as mentioned is laughable-and that's being polite about it-avoid at all costs. :laugh:

Close to downtown is a favourite of mine

Very inventive - read lines: Tojo - Tsunami - Fish Market; laughable, well, yes especially for aspiring sushi editor in waiting.

You are The One, right?

May the tobiko be with you!

Chef Suave

PS- do you sign your >critique< or you just write whatever and hide in the park?

Best of all

Chef Suave

:huh::blink: feeling out of the loop here.

O.G. is special to me, we had our after wedding vows meal there on a lovely sunny evening.

Passed by the Robson one millions of times.

Tojo's, still saving up for.

:smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Okay, I'm going out on a limb here because I don't know sushi like y'all know sushi but what about the Blue Water Cafe in Yaletown? That way you can have sushi as appies and then you have a whole other menu to choose from for dinner and dessert. I went there for DOV a couple of years back and had skate, which was so wonderful I will never forget it.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Okay, I'm going out on a limb here because I don't know sushi like y'all know sushi but what about the Blue Water Cafe in Yaletown? That way you can have sushi as appies and then you have a whole other menu to choose from for dinner and dessert. I went there for DOV a couple of years back and had skate, which was so wonderful I will never forget it.

Zuke

Good call. I went a few weeks back and the sushi is excellent. And you get to order other seafood delights also.

• 1 month later...

Sushikan was mentioned in another thread - but I cannot find it - so here we go.

I went out to Aberdeen Mall with the full intention of having lunch at Nothern Delicacy - but I have been having a lot of Shanghainese food - so I wanted to try something else.

Well I walked by Sushikan (located right behind Northern Delicacy as you head towards 7th Heaven) and immeadiately you can tell it a is a serious sushi joint. All Japanese service in a clean maple toned medium sized room. The walls were decorated with the Chef's (Yamazuki - I think) certificates proclaiming him Japan's best Sushi Chef for a number of years running.

The place smelled pricey and it was.

The menu is very sushi oriented - not a lot of filler with this and that. The fish list indicates that there is a large proportion of fish that is flown in from the Tokyo Fish Market (which at first - really begs the freshness question).

I had grilled sable fish ($10) and 4 pieces of nigiri (2 salmon 2 hamachi - $3-$4 a piece).

The sable fish was delicous and delicate and came with wegde of lemon and some soy beans. It was gone in about 4 civilized bites (which equals one Ling sized nibble).

The sushi was gorgeous - soft, sweet, with beautiful flavor. They were not served icy cold - which in this case highlighted the really high quality of the fish. I saw people ordering selections which included beautiful looking clams, toro, and herring roe attached to squares of kelp.

I was chatting with the hostess who was telling me that they are aiming at the top of the market. Those who are willing to part with some dollars in exchange for first class sushi. They are trying to open a downtown location sometime soon and the Richmond location is only about 2 weeks old. It was about half way full - which was much better most of the restaurants in the Mall. Apparently it is a partnership between the Japanese chef and the Fairchild Group (owners of the Mall) - so this looks like a long term play with some financial legs.

I will need to go back and take my time with the sashimi/sushi menu. As I said there is not alot of 'filler' on the menu (ie: no crazy supersized rolls) - and it was a little intimidating seeing such a comprehensive and serious offering. This is probably the most authentic new Japanese restaurant that I have seen for a long time.

Curious to see if other have been and what their take is. Here is their Website.

Another option, but again, not downtown is Zen at McDonald and 16th Avenue. I prefer the sushi at Ajisai but like the room at Zen much better. The service at Zen has been superlative.

Is it just me, or is this place actually called "Zest?"

I could be way off tho.

:hmmm:

~11

• 6 months later...
If that is what you like, then a discount place on Davie called Kadoya probably is the best one downtown.  It has a Chinese chef, but the Canadian style mixed rolls are creative and fresh.  Just wouldn't go for the nigiri there. 

I must revoke my previous recommendation of Kadoya. Just got back from a dinner there. It has gone downhill. The worst part of the dinner was the tuna roll. The tuna was simply not fresh and was well past the fishy odour stage. It was also quite warm. Ironically we had also had some tuna sashimi and it was pretty fresh and the proper temperature. At the end of the meal we left the tuna roll and quietly told the server, "The tuna was a bit old." She nodded and took it away. Then another more senior server came over and quite loudly proclaimed, "You think the tuna isn't fresh??!?!?!?!" (As several people in the restaurant turned around and looked to see what was going on.) To which we replied, "The tuna sashimi was, but the tuna roll was not." She said, "We cut it from the same fish." and then rudely picked up our dishes (making a big production of it) and stormed off.

Problems with service items can happen, and normally if you quietly let the server know they apologize, make some gesture, etc. But this was seriously over the top.

That same senior server had a bit earlier taken an order from a nearby table and then after the order was finished she said loudly, "That's all?!?!?!" and then they ordered an additional order of miso soup to round it off. She then started laughing and said, "Miso soup?"

She clearly was having an off night (which matched the tuna in the tuna roll).

I've crossed them off my list now. It really is too bad they went downhill. They were previously one of the best discount sushi places downtown. Ugh.....

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

D :sad: on't know where to post this. Just had sushi at Red Tuna in Marpole. The tuna was frozen solid. Apparently they ran out of the fresh/unfrozen stuff. How about telling me that when I order the sashimi. They took 30% off the bill. Did not make me very happy.

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

D :sad: on't know where to post this.  Just had sushi at Red Tuna in Marpole.  The tuna was frozen solid.  Apparently they ran out of the fresh/unfrozen stuff.  How about telling me that when I order the sashimi.  They took 30% off the bill.  Did not make me very happy.

That happened to me a couple years back, at a lunchtime place downtown (Bentall). Frozen solid sashimi --- I get shivers just thinking about it. I brought it back and asked if I could exchange it for something else, and they insisted that it was "supposed to be like that" and turned me away with my frozen fish and no money back. That was one of my worst experiences that I definitely cannot forget. :sad:

• 3 months later...

Has anyone been to Sushi Hachi in Richmond (Pacific Place Mall facing Cambie Road) - alot of stuff flown in from Japan. Very focused on high qaulity sushi and sashimi. Went for dinner tonight - and we let the chef bring out what he thought was best. Everything was pristine, sweet, and fresh - some of the best oysters I have had ever. Saba, madai, kanpachi, salmon, yellow tail, local scallops... all tremendous. $85 for two before tip - very fairly priced. Some of the best sashimi I've had all year.

Owner and his wife are Japanese are running things at a high standard but at a small scale so that they can spend time with their family. Service is relaxed and friendly - very low key. Dinner only 6-9pm, closed Mondays.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else has been and what they thought.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

I return to Vancouver irregularly, but when I do, I always take my sushi at Kibune at Kits beach, just up from Cornwall. It's about an hour's walk from one of our family's places, but that just raises the appetite.

It's small, cramped, and service can be difficult when they get really busy, but the special sashimi, a paper thin cut of daikon, cold, wrapped instead of maki around a good cut of fish with mayonnaise, is something I have to have when I'm there.

And pay little attention to their menu. Check the board, and they often have some very, very good material.

On the down side for Vancouver sushi, whenever I'm at a new place, I always try one piece of tamago first.

A lot of the newer places (generally not Japanese or Korean run) are making their rice the night before and keeping it in the fridge!

I find this extremely traumatizing.

Edited by Peter Green (log)

i've heard about trying a piece of tamago as a guage of the quality of a sushi place...but what exactly am i supposed to be looking for?

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

D :sad: on't know where to post this.  Just had sushi at Red Tuna in Marpole.  The tuna was frozen solid.  Apparently they ran out of the fresh/unfrozen stuff.  How about telling me that when I order the sashimi.  They took 30% off the bill.  Did not make me very happy.

That happened to me a couple years back, at a lunchtime place downtown (Bentall). Frozen solid sashimi --- I get shivers just thinking about it. I brought it back and asked if I could exchange it for something else, and they insisted that it was "supposed to be like that" and turned me away with my frozen fish and no money back. That was one of my worst experiences that I definitely cannot forget. :sad:

All sushi in Vancouver, and most other places in North America, has been frozen... Here's what Vancouver Coast Health (the branch of government that inspects restaurants in the Lower Mainland) told me about this:

"The answer to your question regarding sushi is yes…the fish is required to be frozen beforehand if served raw in order to destroy any potential parasites that may be in the fish. Typically, the fish is purchased from approved sources as sushi grade fish (meaning it was frozen at the supplier level)."

This doesn't mean they're supposed to serve it frozen, of course...

If you can handle slicing a piece of fish all by yourself, the best deal on sashimi in Vancouver is to buy it from the source: Angel Seafood, 1345 Grant St. They supply almost all of the better sushi bars in town.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I agree entirely on Angel. Their sashimi grade fish available in their retail section is inexpensive and by far the easiest way to make sure it gets defrosted properly (unlike at many of the 99 cent sushi joints). They also have a good supply of other Japanese products to round out the menu. Some of their frozen portion cut fish is excellent quality and a good deal too. Their miso marinated sablefish produces the exact same taste you get in the fine dining establishments around town, for a quarter of the price. One word of caution on their non seafood products though - check expiration dates carefully. They have many clearance items (which are clearly marked as such if you look) that are past expiration. Fine for certain things, but you should be aware of it before buying.

Cheers!

My Friends were down at the docks buying salmon from the boats and they asked if these boats offered sashimi grade salmon. They told them they "could not sell them sashimi grade from the boat". That sounds really sketchy. Is there a good reason why fish mongers have to take fish to the street to sell if it's sashimi grade??

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

My Friends were down at the docks buying salmon from the boats and they asked if these boats offered sashimi grade salmon.  They told them they "could not sell them sashimi grade from the boat".  That sounds really sketchy.  Is there a good reason why fish mongers have to take fish to the street to sell if it's sashimi grade??

We've got a place up on the Sunshine Coast, and this has been an issue.

Generally the boats are pre-contracted for their good quality stuff. For instance, the shrimp boats have contracts with the shrimp processing shops. Tuna's going to the fish boys.

You'll generally need to make some "special" arrangements for receiving fresh goods boatside.

Doing this under cover of darkness might be wise.

i've heard about trying a piece of tamago as a guage of the quality of a sushi place...but what exactly am i supposed to be looking for?

Non-rubbery texture in the omelette with a hint of fish from the dashi finishing with sweetness from the mirin and sugar.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

• 3 months later...
Hanako in Guildford, not close to downtown, but it seems this is a family spot opened up by the former chef of the Canada Place Japanese restaurant that recently shut its doors.  Anybody been?  I've heard one good recommendation for it.

Yeah, Hanako, is my fav. The chef is Korean, trained in Japan. Atleast that is what I understood. His Chirashidon is unmatched in the lower mainland. And in my opinion, it is the Chirashidon that should be the signature dish, for any real sushi restaurant, but everywhere I go, it is disappointing, except for Hanako. The Salads at Hanako are also excellent, and unmatched. I prefer Hanako, to Tojo's and Toshi's, but it is in Surrey, so I don't usually end up making it out there.

Hanako, aslo serves a "burnt" toro sushi, where he singes the top layer with a blow torch, it is delicious.

If this place was in Vancouver it would have a constant line.

Authenticity is all that matters.

• 5 months later...

We're travelling to Vancouver early August with our 2 small children (4 and 6) who happen to be sushi lovers. We'll be staying downtown on Hornby St. but will have a car.

Are there any great suggestions for sushi in the area? Our main criteria is really good fresh fish, not looking for trendy dragon roll-type sushi, and an atmosphere that would be tolerant of kids. Thanks!

Edited by Shaya (log)

We're travelling to Vancouver early August with our 2 small children (4 and 6) who happen to be sushi lovers.  We'll be staying downtown on Hornby St.  but will have a car. 

Are there any great suggestions for sushi in the area?  Our main criteria is really good fresh fish, not looking for trendy dragon roll-type sushi, and an atmosphere that would be tolerant of kids.  Thanks!

THIS THREAD is a good place to start (ignore the snarky comments from Sam :wink: )

My personal favorite is still Shiro @ 15th & Cambie. A little tough to get to with all the construction going on in the area, but it fits your criteria nicely.

A.