• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Women Can't Cook

canucklehead

Check out the article here: Women Can't Cook

Good ole' Gordo - making new friends wherever he goes. Actually - I think what he is commenting on is the decline in home cooking in general. What I don't understand is why women get the pointy end of the stick in terms of blame.

However - I am not sure what the break down is women vs men on egullet - but it seems to me that there are alot of people here that care about home cooking and take steps to feed their families and themselves well.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

I have to agree with what he says in the article. If I look at the women that I know, excluding fellow egullet members, most of them don't know how to cook, or flat out refuse to cook. I was an anomally amongst my friends and when I had everyone over for dinner, they were always amazed that I knew how to cook well. Without using packages, or take-out.

There are more young women working in high powered/high stress jobs and they just can't be bothered with cooking. Why cook when you can get something frozen or already made.

I am amazed he is only picking on young women. From that perspective, he is in deep trouble.

I think in general, people do not know how to cook. Across the board, old, young, middle-aged, male and female. Convenience foods eaten alone or on the run, its the scourge of society.

Take an informal survey next time you're in the line up at the grocery store of what folks are buying. Very enlightning. It always brings me back from my fantasy world of everything regional, seasonal, gourmet, made-from-scratch, organic, cooking all day for two people mindset.

And what are the statistics of the Food Network again? The majority don't cook, they watch.

And furthermore, :wacko: many youngs chefs I know, male and female, maintain a regular diet of McDonald's, or other fast food junk on their days off.

The article also has Ramsey exclaiming that women were more apt at mixing a cocktail than cooking.

Is that a bad thing?

Edited by shelora (log)

Wait, does this mean he thinks the previous generation of British women could cook?

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Ten points!

More like FIFTY points!!!!! :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Wait, does this mean he thinks the previous generation of British women could cook?

...and we're all deeply impressed by mom's apple pie over here of course. Run me through the entire canon of American home cooking not derived from your British ancestors would you, I've got 30 seconds to spare.

Lighten up andy it was a joke. Anyway, I'm not exactly apple pie american...and I definitely don't have british ancestors.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

Good ole' Gordo - making new friends wherever he goes.  Actually - I think what he is commenting on is the decline in home cooking in general.  What I don't understand is why women get the pointy end of the stick in terms of blame.

I think the answer may lie in this paragraph from the story:

Mr. Ramsay...makes his scathing comments in an interview to promote his new series, The F Word, in which he cooks a three-course meal for each episode.

"That unmitigated bastard...the very idea! I'm going to watch this new show just to see what other outrageous statements he's going to make!"

See here, boiling is the father of sous vide, just at a higher temperature and without the plastic.

Edited by MHarney (log)

Mike Harney

"If you're afraid of your food, you're probably not digesting it right because your stomach is all crunched up in fear. So you'll end up not being well."

- Julia Child

"There's no reason to say I'm narrow-minded. Just do it my way and you will have no problem at all."

- KSC Pad Leader Guenter Wendt

See here, boiling is the father of sous vide, just at a higher temperature and without the plastic.

Damn straight! :biggrin:

My mother was boiling things in plastic bags before most of today's moelcular gastronomists were even born - Uncle Ben's rice, the heads of passing Americans...

It usually takes between four and five mentions (or minutes, whichever comes first) for me to be fed up with any celebrity chef. In fact, I had developed a pre-dislike for Ramsay, just by virtue of seeing his name a fair amount, before I saw the eight "Kitchen Nightmares" shows. Changed my mind after that, and I still think he's a hoot.

Mike Harney

"If you're afraid of your food, you're probably not digesting it right because your stomach is all crunched up in fear. So you'll end up not being well."

- Julia Child

"There's no reason to say I'm narrow-minded. Just do it my way and you will have no problem at all."

Hmmm. What can I say. I am tempted to say "Harrumph."

:wink:

I like to smell things before eating them and I just plain don't like these sorts of smells.

Nevertheless, your remark is an interesting one. Maybe I'll hold my nose for five minutes or so if he happens to appear on a screen that wanders before my eyes. :rolleyes:

I think in general, people do not know how to cook. Across the board, old, young, middle-aged, male and female.  Convenience foods eaten alone or on the run, its the scourge of society.

Take an informal survey next time you're in the line up at the grocery store of what folks are buying. Very enlightening. It always brings me back from my fantasy world of everything regional, seasonal, gourmet, made-from-scratch, organic, cooking all day for two people mindset.

How very true.

People @ work are amazed at the fact that I cook Cornbread to eat for breakfast/lunch the first day of my work week.

Cornbread FCS? :wacko:

I sometimes wonder when I wander through food stores how people from other societies would view all the prepackaged goods-whether they would recognise them as edible-certainly I often don't. :rolleyes:

People @ work are amazed at the fact that I cook Cornbread to eat for breakfast/lunch the first day of my work week.

Reminds me of those maddening commercials where the target quickly explains, "It was Lean Cuisine," just as her companions are about to accuse her of cooking (slut!).

"Say, you must have one of those whatchacallits...'bowls,' is it?"

"Oh, gosh, I could never find the four-and-a-half minutes it takes to measure and mix all those ingredients."

"I tried making cornbread once. I tasted it after the firefighters left but...it wasn't good."

Mike Harney

- Julia Child

This guy never stops playing the asshole jock from the movies in the 80's.. And besides being a miserable bastard to everyone, he has a special malice towards women.. Again, I dont know if it comes from mother issues, or insecurities from height or other attributes, but he seems to have severe issues.. Careless if he could cook or not, I wouldn't give him a dime and I am glad his show failed in the U.S.. England can keep this guy..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Behemoth, you have a special knack for catching those flashes of logic just under the surface of the conversational waters. I always enjoy your posts. :smile:

And besides being a miserable bastard to everyone, he has a special malice towards women.

I guess that's kind of a compliment . . .

Edited for typos.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Check out the article here: Women Can't Cook

Good ole' Gordo - making new friends wherever he goes. 

It's a widely known fact that Englishmen can't play soccer either.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

...and we're all deeply impressed by mom's apple pie over here of course. Run me through the entire canon of American home cooking not derived from your British ancestors would you, I've got 30 seconds to spare.

Andy are you saying that the British are a nation of cooks? (Cue:Theme music; Jamies's School Dinners).

Grandma Pickles (yes, it's true) made (actually still makes) excellent scones, rice pudding, roast dead things and tea. But the entire canon of Australian home cooking has moved on a bit. I have some British friends that cook, very well in fact, but I'm not sure that it is that common. Do you have access to those types of Stats, I have looked at the home office records a few times*, but it isn't very well organised.

* Got off my arse and did it myself. Stats found here. In 2002/2003 the average UK weekly household budget was £42.70. Oddly enough, while the lowest 10% of wage earners spent £21 the highest 10% spent only £67. Good God I spend much more money on my weekly food budget then the upper 10% of wage earners!