• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Must have liqueurs for the baker's pantry

CanadianBakin'

I'm slowly getting a variety of liqueurs so I have them handy when a recipe calls for them.

Which ones do you find you reach for again and again?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I use Kahlua, rum, Grand Marnier, framboise, and cherry Kirch

"A few days ago, I heard a doctor talking on television about the dangers of stress. It can kill you. It can cause a heart attack or stroke. The doctor listed many ways of coping with stress. Exercise. Diet Yoga. Talk a walk. I yelled, "Bake cookies." I often talk to the television. I yelled it again and again. The doctor went on with his list of 12 ways to reduce stress and he never once mentioned my sure-fire treatment......"

Maida Heatter

I'm slowly getting a variety of liqueurs so I have them handy when a recipe calls for them.

Which ones do you find you reach for again and again?

I use Curacao instead of GM because of the price. Dark rum and kirschwasser are my main ones. Sometime brandy.

I also have (in order by the frequency I use it): Meyer's Dark Rum, GM, Bailey's Irish Cream (or Emmett's if that's all I can find), Poire William, amaretto, and kirsch. I also have some framboise, a bottle of Frangelico and after my fruitcake experiment, I have a few bottles of brandy.

• Like 1

something my most recent pastry chef introduced me to is Stroh Rhum which is made in Austria. it smells like butterscotch and will melt your throat...it is actually called Stroh 80 because it is 80% alcohol or 160 proof. very strong stuff but deeee-lish when added to almost anything in the pastry kitchen. i use it to make my vanilla extract at home. just throw all the used vanilla pods in an old jar and fill to the top with Stroh. it really adds a distinct/aromatic flavor to baked goods. a little pricey at about $35/bottle retail, but a little goes a long way so it should last a while. also makes great rum raisins (a few of which could easily get you drunk!)

Edited by alanamoana (log)

Cointreau, Brandy, Amaretto, Kahlua, Framboise, Tia Maria, Kwai Feh Lychee liqueur, Bailey's Irish Cream, Frangelico, Whisky, Grand Marnier.

What I covet is Myer's Dark Rum...can't find it. :sad:

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

For "Dark Rums" none are comparable to the "Demerra" from Guyana, especially for Baking. There is one newer type bottling called "Angostura Old Dark Rum" made by the bitters company that is good value with everything needed to enhance your baking.

Myers, Appleton, Cruzan, Lemon Hart or even Manila Dark Rum are acceptable but don't have the finish or finese.

"Triple Sec" is a more reasonable priced alternative then most other orange blends, especially with a touch of brandy added.

"Chambord" and "Cream Cassis" should also be considered as important for bakers.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

something my most recent pastry chef introduced me to is Stroh Rhum which is made in Austria.

Austrian Stroh 80 is, to my palate, probably too fiery & astringently tannic for dessert cookery. (The distillery also produces a less potent Stroh 60.) Yet, although many top-rated rums are generally intended to be demonically pronounced in flavor, they do not all have culinary feasibility.

Recently, I've been using English Harbour 5yo .

However, the thread-starter explicitly asked for liqueur recommendations, rather than spirits in general.

My experience would subsume the following liqueurs in the must-have category:

Amongst the orange-flavored varieties, Grand Marnier is the most broadly useful due to its smooth, relatively mild cognac-based taste.

Cointreau, the other leading Curaçao, is more pronounced in flavor. It incorporates very successfully with strawberries and in soufflés; as well as in crêpes and other flambéed preparations.

Triple Sec is not a brand name – although that’s an error in denotation quite commonly made. It is, however, a type of Curaçao made from the peels of the same bittersweet green oranges as other Curaçao liqueurs.

Mandarine Napoleon is a mixture of distillate of Andalusian tangerines & old cognac, the type of tangerine used reportedly being a rare one. M.N. is styled softer than many Curaçao liqueurs. There’s also a Mandarine from Marie Brizard.

You can also find on the market, orange liqueurs produced by Dutch, German, and Italian firms.

Zwack (from Hungary) is the pear brandy I have most often used. (There’s also a German label called Kammer.)

Blackcurrant: The wonderful Vêdrenne Crème de Cassis; also Bramley & Gage from England and another French label, Lejay-Lagoute.

Black Raspberry liqueurs included the inimitable Chambord Royale and Marie Brizard Rose de Plombieres.

Coconut: Kalani from the Yucatan Penisula in Mexico.

Limoncello: Notably from either Caravella or Villa Massa.

You really ought to stock both Kahlua & Tia Maria for coffee liqueurs. Tia Maria is the spicier of the two.

The most notable nut liqueurs you'll want to shortlist are Amaretto di Saronno (almond), Frangelico and Crème de Noisette (hazelnut), and Nocello and Crème de Noix (walnuts). There're are lichee liqueurs, too, such as Soho.

The exotic La Grande Passion is a passion fruit liqueur from Grand Marnier.

Benedictine & Chartreuse (the yellow is sweeter than the green version) are palatable only to a minority of pastry cooks.

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

something my most recent pastry chef introduced me to is Stroh Rhum which is made in Austria.  it smells like butterscotch and will melt your throat...it is actually called Stroh 80 because it is 80% alcohol or 160 proof.  very strong stuff but deeee-lish when added to almost anything in the pastry kitchen.  i use it to make my vanilla extract at home.  just throw all the used vanilla pods in an old jar and fill to the top with Stroh.  it really adds a distinct/aromatic flavor to baked goods.  a little pricey at about $35/bottle retail, but a little goes a long way so it should last a while.  also makes great rum raisins (a few of which could easily get you drunk!)

Austrian Stroh 80 is, to my palate, probably too fiery & astringently tannic for dessert cookery.  (The distillery also produces a less potent Stroh 60.)  Yet, although many top-rated rums are generally intended to be demonically pronounced in flavor, they do not all have culinary feasibility.

Thanks for reminding me of this, alanamoana. A lot of Austrian desserts do use rum and I've been wanting to try Stroh's myself. David Bouley in "East of Paris: The New Cuisines of Austria and the Danube" describes it as a "dark, highly aromatic rum" used as the rum of choice in Austrian desserts. The substitute he offers is "dark rum".

The liqueurs that I use most often in baking or other desserts are:

Most commonly: Kirsch, Grand Marnier or Triple Sec, dark Rum, Bourbon

Less often: Poire Williams, Port, Sherry, Framboise, Tia Maria, Brandy

Thanks for all the great information, Redsugar!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 10 years later...
On 10/25/2005 at 4:33 AM, wesza said:

For "Dark Rums" none are comparable to the "Demerra" from Guyana, especially for Baking.

I'm bumping up this old thread. Is the Demerra rum particularly intense? I've been using a bacardi rum  (just for flavor before baking not in rum cakes) and I find it already too intense for my taste.

Does anybody recommend a lighter rum for baking?

2 hours ago, Franci said:

I'm bumping up this old thread. Is the Demerra rum particularly intense? I've been using a bacardi rum  (just for flavor before baking not in rum cakes) and I find it already too intense for my taste.

Does anybody recommend a lighter rum for baking?

I haven't baked with rum in a long time, however I used to use Lemon Hart 151 for baking.  (As well as drinking.)  Unfortunately Lemon Hart these days is hard to find.  Most similar to Lemon Hart is Hamilton 151, at least that I know of, also from Guyana.  I am not familiar with Demerra, but I wonder if it is just a misspelling of Demerara, a river of Guyana?  Guyana rum is Demerara rum.

Bacardi is not a rum that I have tried but I know they make a range of styles.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou