• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brookline-Jamaica Plain

djzouke

We are going to Angell Animal Med Ctr. to have our dog operated on. We'll be there from Monday Oct 31 to Thursday Nov. 3. Looking for reasonably priced solid full flavored fare. All cuisines. Also, good spots for coffee. Thanks.

We are going to Angell Animal Med Ctr. to have our dog operated on. We'll be there from Monday Oct 31 to Thursday Nov. 3. Looking for reasonably priced solid full flavored fare. All cuisines.  Also, good spots for coffee. Thanks.

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I hope he/she gets through allright.

Lots of really great places within walking/shouting distance of Angell. If you walk down centre street (s. huntington turns into Centre eventually) you'll hit JP Center, and there's a ton of places there -- everything you could possibly imagine. Some notable ones:

Dinner Right near Angell:

Zon's : Right on Perkins Street next to Angell. Neighborhood bistro type of place, upscale comfort food theme. Fantastic burgers, mac n' cheese, daily specials. Ice cream sandwiches for dessert.

JP Center

Ten Tables :597 Centre St, Contemporary American, emphasis on all the good things - local, in season,etc... Tiny (ergo, 'ten tables'). You'll need a reservation. A bit expensive but there's a $25 Prix Fixe on Tuesday or Wed (I forget).

Cha Fahn: I had dinner here last week (Wed Night $25 Prix Fixe.) Its a brand new tea house/upscale asian restaurant. it was fantastic.

Bukhara: Good Indian -- straightforward.

JP Seafood: Good Sushi

Ban Chiang: Good Thai.

Coffee, etc:

JP Licks: Coffee, Ice Cream, some baked goods. The first two are out of sight, home made (or roasted, as it were). Flagship location, you can't miss it.

Blue Frog Bakery, green street off centre: Come here for your croissant.

If you walk the other way down Center, towards Roxbury, there are a whole bunch of hole-in-the wall latino places, Tacos el Charro comes to mind.

There's much more in the immeadiate JP area, but that's a good introduction.

s

My sister lives in Jamaica Plain and I spent a week there last summer. my absolute favorite place was Wonder Spice Cafe, they focus on Cambodian food but also have Vietnamese and Thai.

After dinner I also recommend JP Licks for some great ice cream.

My sister and I would often run into El Oriental de Cuba for some late night cuban sandwiches and fried plantains. The prices can't be beat and the food was wonderful. Unfortunately at that link it says they are temporarily closed due to a fire...

Though I haven't been, one of my sister's favorites is Bella Luna, an Italian restaurant/pizzeria. She actually had her (very casual) wedding reception here.

Another place I had wanted to try was ZONS they bill themselves as comfort food with a twist. Their brunch is extremely popular with lines going out the door and down the street. We had been planning to go but we really hate to wait in lines....

I can't find any mention of their brunch on their website though.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Best of luck with your pup, Angell is the best.

I"ve lived in JP for 6 yrs now and the recommendations here are all good. The pupusa place mentioned above is: La Pupusa Guanaca, 378 Centre St. Good for lunch or a quick snack. Not new at all but recently getting attention. Personally, I prefer Emack and Bolio's for ice cream, anf Fiore's Italian Bakery just down the street has delectable pasty, cannolis. and other Italian sweets.

You mention Brookline, which has a lot more restauants than JP. Where are you staying? If you're in Brookline, I'd recommend Taberno de Haro on Beacon Street for tapas and other Spanish food, nice wine list, for your evening meal.

Any comments on Pandan Leaf Restaurant near Coolidge Corner in Brookline?

I had a nice Malaysian meal there, but it is already 4 years since I was there...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Any comments on Pandan Leaf Restaurant near Coolidge Corner in Brookline?

I had a nice Malaysian meal there, but it is already 4 years since I was there...

For the last 3, maybe four years, Pandan Leaf has been Khao Sarn, a white-tablecloth Thai restaurant that serves lots of authentic thaoi dishes, and has a great bar....

Equally exceptional, but much more home-style, is Dok Bua, right down the street.

Best of luck with your pup, Angell is the best.

I"ve lived in JP for 6 yrs now  and the recommendations here are all good. The pupusa place mentioned above is: La Pupusa Guanaca, 378 Centre St.  Good for lunch or a quick snack. Not new at all but recently getting attention. Personally, I prefer Emack and Bolio's for ice cream, anf Fiore's Italian Bakery just down the street has delectable pasty, cannolis. and other Italian sweets.

You mention Brookline, which has a lot more restauants than JP.  Where are you staying?  If you're in Brookline, I'd recommend Taberno de Haro on Beacon Street for tapas and other Spanish food, nice wine list, for your evening meal.

Thanks again, I missed your question the first time. We're staying on Upland Road near High St. Close to Leverett Pond & Riverdale Parkway

Thanks, galleygirl and 9lives, for the info on Pandan Leaf and the Thai restaurants. I get to Boston pretty often so I'll keep them in mind.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 2 weeks later...

Aldo came through his operation like the champ that he is. Hopefully, his recovery will be the same. Angell is amazing!

Thanks to all who gave us recommendations for Brookline and JP. We ate at Zon's one evening and found it to be very good. We had a chicken dish with chorizo that was fine. We went to Rani on Beacon (Coolidge Square) and had an excellent buffet meal at lunch. We also found Wonder Spice to be quite good although we should have asked for more spice. In hindsight, I would have gone to Bukhara instead. Centre St. Cafe we found to be ok. JP Lick's has some of the best ice cream that I've ever had out stateside. Pho Lemongrass is a very good Vietnamese restaurant on Harvard St. near Beacon. The first night we had excellent fish & chips at Matt Murphy's Pub also on Harvard St. in Brookline. We met some people who recommended Rani and Pho Lemongrass.

Rani was the standout meal. Ten Tables was on our list too but...

Thanks again to all.

Edited by djzouke (log)