• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tuna Salad

Jinmyo

Looks like I'm the only one who uses Miracle Whip instead of mayo. I also add chopped pickles, mustard, s&p, hot sauce and Vlassic pepper rings. Basically I just add condiments to canned tuna. However, I have added celery and in the future I will be adding onion, that sounds pretty good.

No ya ain't, Colonel.

When I'm not trying to make something sorta different and impressive, like several of the recipes already mentioned... I mean, when I'm just trying to sling together something quick for lunch, I make my "regular," and thats:

Always Miracle Whip (for that little tangy touch), sweet pickle relish, onion, dash of Durkee's Famous Sauce (natch) and, about half the time, a little chopped up apple. I also like celery and hardboiled eggs in my tuna salad, but don't usually take the time to add them.

But Miracle Whip, sweet pickle relish and onion are my "Big Three."

I also like this:

Apple Tuna Toss

1 head iceberg lettuce

2 C chopped apples....strong-flavored variety, not Fuji or mild types

1 11-oz can mandarin oranges

1 large can tuna (drained)

1/3 C walnuts

For the dressing:

2 tsp soy sauce

1 tsp lemon juice

1/2 C mayo (or Miracle Whip for us "Whippers" :biggrin: )

Mix dressing ingredients and refrigerate hour or two or, preferably, overnight. Also, refrigerate other ingredients, tuna, oranges, etc.

At serving time, drain oranges and set aside. Chop lettuce, add dressing and toss with apples, tuna, walnuts. Add drained oranges last and combine carefully in order to avoid breaking up oranges.

This is a very nice light lunch for tuna lovers.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Miracle Whip? Hm. Generally I don't like to eat things I would need a factory to make.

Miracle Whip to mayo is like margarine to butter. If you grew up with it, it seems natural. :blink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Miracle Whip? Hm. Generally I don't like to eat things I would need a factory to make.

Miracle Whip to mayo is like margarine to butter. If you grew up with it, it seems natural.  :blink:

Actually, always have both in the fridge. When I have time, which is very rare these days, make my own mayo. And I grew up that way as well. In our fridge were always one jar of store-bought mayo and one of Miracle Whip and several of homemade varieties that my dad had just prepared over that weekend.

We selected among these several varieties according to what we were using it for, which is what I still do today. Miracle Whip has more "tang" than mayo, unless it's homemade mayo to which you've added extra lemon or something.

I guess that, just as you so succinctly pointed out, I am indeed very, very lucky to have grown up with so many options, not just limiting my horizons (nor prepared spreads) to only one or two that are considered "correct."

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

In terms of prepared mayo, have you ever tried Kewpie? It's a Japanese brand. Very tangy. Bizarre bottle.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

In terms of prepared mayo, have you ever tried Kewpie? It's a Japanese brand. Very tangy. Bizarre bottle.

Haven't, but absolutely will. Am off to the grocery tomorrow and will look for it. Thanks for the tip!

Another tasty thing to do with tuna is drain a can of the best tuna you can buy packed in good olive oil into a bowl, add the chopped tuna, some lemon juice, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, some cayene and add some just cooked al dente spaghetti. This is fabulous hot or cold.

Campbell, yes, spaghetti con tonno is a classic with infinite variations.

Another tasty thing to do with tuna is drain a can of the best tuna you can buy packed in good olive oil into a bowl, add the chopped tuna, some lemon juice, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, some cayene and add some just cooked al dente spaghetti.  This is fabulous hot or cold.

When I had three kids at home and was always trying to shove into them something good for them, but still quick and easy to prepare, I often put tuna in my Spaghetti Carbonara. Broccoli in the mac & cheese. Etc. Sometimes moms gottabe sneaky. :biggrin:

For my Tuna Salad,I'll use some chopped scallions,toasted almonds,hard boiled egg,mayo,and some teriyaki sauce.Sometimes I'll add a little crushed red pepper for some heat if that's your thing! Hope you enjoy!!

Maybe 2 or 3 teaspoons of teriyaki,not much more or you'll oversalt.

The green in the scallions counter the brown teriyaki.

jbauer, welcome.

That's interesting. The almonds are a nice touch. But doesn't the teryaki make the eggs a bit...unsightly? How much teryaki sauce are we talking about? A few drops? Or a teaspoon?

• 2 years later...

I am a HUGE tuna salad fan and want to collect some fave variations so I don't get sick of it through my latest diet!

I am looking to recreate a tuna salad at the Detour in Portland---it seems simple, but you know how THAT can be! Has anyone ever heard of chopping up red pepperocinis?

Let the recipes/tips fly!!!

I like to chop up pickled hananeros in tuna salad, also a lot of good strong onion, and a little vinegar for tang.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I use grilled ahi tuna crumbled, fresh mayonaisse and lime. Then a range of possible additions: chile oil, wasabi, coriander, thyme, fennel...

Mine's pretty plain. Well drained tuna, a bit of mayo, chopped celery, a bit of grated onion, sea salt and always a sprinkle of wasabi powder to "wake it up" a little bit. You can mix it into the mayo first for more uniformity.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My tuna salad is pretty basic also, but I like a lot. Drained tuna (I find the stuff packed in oil is better), mayonnaise, dijon mustard to taste (i use a course one), few dashes of Worcestershire, spritz of lemon, s&p, and maybe some chopped cornichons

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

-Presiden Muffley, Dr. Strangelove

water-packed albacore tuna, or you might wish to use 6-8 oz. fresh cooked tuna, chilled and flaked

1/2 cup diced celery

1/4 cup green or red pepper, julienned

1/3-1/2 cup of a good quality or even homemade mayonnaise

1 hard-cooked egg, diced

1 tablespoon chopped black or green olives

1-2 tablespoons minced water chestnuts (for a crunch)

1 tablespoon minced green onion, or even Vidalias, if available

But I never, ever use either Miracle Whip and/or sweet pickle relish ... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Tuna to taste

onion to taste

olive oil to taste

black pepper to taste

sweet pickle to taste

mustard to taste

mayonnaise to taste

pickled pepper to taste

canard to taste

capers to taste

worcestershire to taste

tabasco to taste

Yeah... it's a very rigorous recipe. Better when you have tuna = 0 and canard = a lot

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

After having an extraordinary sandwich in a rather unimpressive looking little bar in Madrid, olive oil packed tuna (actually I've given up on all the rest anyway) anchovies (also in olive oil) and roasted red peppers, all dressed with good olive oil. That might not be what you're looking for, but who knows, I wasn't really looking for a tuna fish sandwich when the peppers and anchovies caught my eye.

By the way, we've had a few tuna fish threads and maybe a few tuna salad threads and each time, olive oil packed tuna comes up. It's way more expensive than what most of us grew up eating, but it's incomparable. The really good stuff will be at an Italian or Spanish grocery.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Bux jarred my memory, and I really ought to admit, there is nothing compared to your own cooked chicken (for chicken salad) your own eggs (for egg salad) or your own GRILLED tuna for tuna salad (with some EVOO) It's really an amazing difference.

-Jared, not jarred.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I use a lil' Old Bay in the mix...

Tuna Salad sandwiches are GREAT with a layer of flattened/pitted Calamata olives on the bread...

A layer of Lindsay "Olivada" spread is magnificent on a tuna sandwich...

It's a series of tasty Tapanades... Tuscan, Greek, etc... Nice...

A layer of sauteed eggplant is great...

Sauteed Tofu is wonderful... creamy texture...

I do a killer Tuna Melt with sauteed Eggplant and tomatoes...

Theres a product called Lemonaise from the Ojai Chef. It has an amazing lemon concentrate that they make themselves as well as coarse mustard in the mayo recipe and the ingredients are impeccable. No sugar! It makes a mean tuna salad with just a little sweet onion. BTW has anyone tried the new tuna in the pouch?

Edited by foodpsycho (log)

I'm always the sort of traditionalist, with a twist. I like the basic canned tuna/mayo/mustard combo, a healthy dose of black pepper, maybe a little hit of cayenne or Tabasco for interest, and it has to have eggs. I mean, I'll eat it without eggs, but I like 'em.

I'm not big on pickles in general, the exception being bread and butters, and those I'll have on the side. Onion on a sandwich turns me off.

Truth be told, I like more of an egg salad with a little tuna thrown in. Don't know how this would fit into a diet plan, though. Use Creole, Dijon, or spicy mustard if you can get your hands on it, otherwise the big yellow will do nicely.

And toast the bread. Always toast the bread.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

My favorite is oil packed tuna with homemade basil mayo on a good Parker House roll. It's very simple and very tasy.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

When I worked at Ortanique, sometimes we'd have extra fresh tuna on hand that we didn't sell. One of the cooks would roast it until just well-done, dice it, and combine it with a bunch of brunoised goodies for tuna salad: red onion, celery, carrot, and GREEN APPLE. Fresh mayo and a spot of mustard. We'd eat it on toasted baguettes with lollarossa lettuce and manchego cheese. Definitely a favorite staff meal!

My best friend got me making tuna-and-egg salad when she was my roommate. Canned drained tuna and chopped hard-boiled eggs in roughly equal proportions (2 eggs:1 can tuna), with lots of dijon mustard, fresh dill, cracked black pepper, chopped cornichons, brunoised celery, and a little bit of mayo. This doesn't suck either.