• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding

Daniel

When I saw this thread I thought it referred to a recipe in the latest Food and Wine. I was surprised to see that recipe, and now I'm afraid it's part of a trend!

Thankfully, the F&W recipe does not include cans of fruit cocktail, though it looks obscenely rich.

Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding with Espresso Whipped Cream

(I think it might be a subscriber site)

I was surprised by that too! But at least the Food and Wine recipe doesn't call for fruit cocktail!! :wacko:

many restaurants and pastry chefs use up day-old or stale donuts, sweet rolls, danishes and the like in a bread pudding.

Then the Krispy Kremes sold at Sam's and WalMart should do quite nicely.

Di

Yah.. I am making it.. I am taking out the fruit and raisins..

Dust off your defribrilator, man. :biggrin:

many restaurants and pastry chefs use up day-old or stale donuts, sweet rolls, danishes and the like in a bread pudding.

Then the Krispy Kremes sold at Sam's and WalMart should do quite nicely.

Di

:laugh::laugh:

Ok, I have finally met my match.. Paula Dean, I wave a white flag in surrender.. Seriously, I dont know what evil mind would possibly create this dish.. Its really so over the top and extreme.. Its the type of dish that explains to me why we are a nation of people using motorized carts to tow our asses, from one end of the mall to the other.. Either way, its pretty darn tastey..

Instead of using 24 Krispy Kremes I decided to use a dozen..

gallery_15057_1519_1023456.jpg

Cut up and then sprinkle a little magic fairy dust over..

gallery_15057_1519_128368.jpg

Magic fairy dust:

gallery_15057_1519_626157.jpg

Add an egg, cinnamon, nutmeg and baked at 350 for an hour..

gallery_15057_1519_1011771.jpg

Take a stick of butter add combine with two shots of C'pn Morgan and a POUND of C-Sugar.. Then carefully soak your slice in this mixture...

gallery_15057_1519_965000.jpg

Bite:

gallery_15057_1519_273299.jpg

I thought this was a really over the top dessert, especially knowing what the hell went into it.. Could I eat the whole container, yes.. The best part are the edges that get crispy and crunchy.. It tasted like bread pudding made with a donut..The butter rum sauce was great.. I was expecting something a lot more white trashey and way too sweet.. It probably would have made it there, if I added the fruit cocktail and the raisins.. But it was really good only considering taste..

Edited by Daniel (log)

You know with Krispy Kreme bread pudding and White Castle Turkey Stuffing, I think we're set for the carb and saturated fat quotient on dessert and side dishes for Thanksgiving. Awesome.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Wow.. I never even thought to do that Jason.. There is really so much I have yet to learn.. :biggrin: Maybe one could also glaze the turkey in the sweet and sour sauce used for the chicken rings.. Or make a clam stuffing from the strips.. :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)

I've never tried the Krispy Kream recipe, but I worked with a pastry chef who made a twinkie tiramisu for family meal on day. It tasted so good yet so bad at the same time.

Brilliant. Twinkie Tiramisu. Post the recipe in eGRA, please!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com