• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding

Daniel

My girlfriend just sent me this recipe.. It looks outrageous.. Honestly Paula Dean is by far the sickest person I have seen... I could see Emeril telling her to calm down a bit and maybe not use so much fat and fried foods.. Has anyone tried this or used Krispy Kremes in a recipe before..

It looks very healthy.. Here is the link..

Krispy Kreme

Edited by Daniel (log)

My girlfriend just sent me this recipe.. It looks outrageous.. Honestly Paula Dean is by far the sickest person I have seen... I could see Emeril telling her to calm down a bit and maybe not use so much fat and fried foods..  Has anyone tried this or used Krispy Kremes in a recipe before..

Krispy Kreme

Sounds great! It's too bad we don't have Krispy Kreme in our province.

I was actually walking around the streets of Manhattan yesterday looking for Krispy Kremes.. I have never had one, but can picture what it tastes like.. I am sure any super glazed, really airy donut will do...

Edited by Daniel (log)

The recipe looks far too sweet for my taste. But I can tell you that many restaurants and pastry chefs use up day-old or stale donuts, sweet rolls, danishes and the like in a bread pudding. I have done this myself, and it turns out pretty well. Generally speaking, the 'firmer' texture and non-frosted items give the best results.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I was actually walking around the streets of Manhattan yesterday looking for Krispy Kremes.. I have never had one, but can picture what it tastes like.. I am sure any super glazed, really airy donut will do...

Well, they are not real full doughnuts. They are kinda flat. I mean they proof & all but my brother works for Krispy Kreme (his son btw works for Dunkin Donuts' ain't that a hoot) But anyway my point is I get them fresh. I am not impressed with KK never have been, they are ok. The glaze is gooey and the doughnut is not got (does not have) a little gentle crust on it, it's all kinda like sweet fried sludge sans vanilla. I promise you get better doughnuts buying the refrigerator biscuits and tearing a hole in 'em and tossing 'em in some deep fat and dredging them in cinnamon sugar. wa la (viola)

And I canNOT believe there is a stick of butter to one pound of confectioner's sugar in her rum glaze, jeez louise. :rolleyes: I've added to my collection of arterial blockage from thinking about these recipes. :laugh:

Donuts, cinnamon buns, and fruit danish are the only kinds of bread pudding I have ever made. The danish are killer when you use different ones every bite is a surprise. But I dont use any sugar in the custard, just dust the top a little.

tracey

biscuit donuts are cool :raz:

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

There was a whole thread on this recipe earlier this year...it's such an insane recipe!!!

Daniel, there are a few Krispy Kreme spots...the ones that come to mind are 85th and Third (right by my apartment - oh yeah), 72nd between Broadway and Columbus, and 23rd between 7th and 8th. I think there are more...

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

There was a whole thread on this recipe earlier this year...it's such an insane recipe!!!

Daniel, there are a few Krispy Kreme spots...the ones that come to mind are 85th and Third (right by my apartment - oh yeah), 72nd between Broadway and Columbus, and 23rd between 7th and 8th.  I think there are more...

Megan. The Krispy Kreme on 72nd btwn broadway and columbus closed.. And guess what is coming there.. Drum roll....... A Buttercup Bakery.. Oh baby..

Daniel, there are a few Krispy Kreme spots...the ones that come to mind are 85th and Third (right by my apartment - oh yeah), 72nd between Broadway and Columbus, and 23rd between 7th and 8th.  I think there are more...

Megan. The Krispy Kreme on 72nd btwn broadway and columbus closed.. And guess what is coming there.. Drum roll....... A Buttercup Bakery.. Oh baby..

No way!!! Craziness. You leave the West side for a couple of years and everything changes...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Jesus...

Something compels me to work out the calories in this thing.

do(ugh)nuts - 4800kcal, 288g fat

condensed milk - 1720kcal, 45g fat

I'm guessing the fruit cocktail at a conservative 400kcal.

eggs - 150kcal, 10g fat

raisins - 550kcal

butter - 780kcal, 90g fat

sugar - 1815g

total = 10215kcal, and a pound of fat. yummy.

Divided into twelve portions, it gives 851kcal per portion. Like it's going to be divided into twelve, uh-huh. :)

Edited by culinary bear (log)

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Divided into twelve portions, it gives 851kcal per portion.  Like it's going to be divided into twelve, uh-huh. :)

Oh, I don't know...could anyone really eat a huge portion of that? It sounds really sweet. Of course, all the whipped cream to cut the sweetness should be factored in, too! :wacko:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Thanks for the math, thats really disturbing and yet oddly compelling.. And to know Paula Dean, is to understand that this is a dessert that follows a meal of fried chicken, or breaded pork, biscuits, some sort of veggie fried and then served with cheese and butter or baked in cream then served with butter...

A restaurant here in Chicago (I'd rather not say the name in a forum) does it and I thought it was disgusting. A raw soggy mess. I don't know if it was a question of execution or a just a bad idea.

Edited by xdrixn (log)

www.adrianvasquez.net

A restaurant here in Chicago (I'd rather not say the name in a forum) does it and I thought it was disgusting.  A raw soggy mess.  I don't know if it was a question of execution or a just a bad idea.

The raw part sounds like an error in execution...

Queenie Takes Manhattan

The glaze is gooey and the doughnut is not got (does not have) a little gentle crust on it, it's all kinda like sweet fried sludge sans vanilla...

A restaurant here in Chicago (I'd rather not say the name in a forum) does it and I thought it was disgusting.  A raw soggy mess.  I don't know if it was a question of execution or a just a bad idea.

It sounds like Krispy Kreme doughnuts. I've read several recipes here and I'm not sure where but someone said to use day old ones--that would help because that's the nature of a KK donut, soft, mushy gooey sugary sweee-eet. Think glazed white bread without crust. (I think I'm gonna be sick :laugh: )

When I saw this thread I thought it referred to a recipe in the latest Food and Wine. I was surprised to see that recipe, and now I'm afraid it's part of a trend!

Thankfully, the F&W recipe does not include cans of fruit cocktail, though it looks obscenely rich.

Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding with Espresso Whipped Cream

(I think it might be a subscriber site)

My girlfriend just sent me this recipe.. It looks outrageous.. Honestly Paula Dean is by far the sickest person I have seen... I could see Emeril telling her to calm down a bit and maybe not use so much fat and fried foods..  Has anyone tried this or used Krispy Kremes in a recipe before..

Krispy Kreme

It sounds awful but you can't get more 50's American than that! Woods

The glaze is gooey and the doughnut is not got (does not have) a little gentle crust on it, it's all kinda like sweet fried sludge sans vanilla...

It sounds like Krispy Kreme doughnuts. I've read several recipes here and I'm not sure where but someone said to use day old ones--that would help because that's the nature of a KK donut, soft, mushy gooey sugary sweee-eet. Think glazed white bread without crust. (I think I'm gonna be sick :laugh: )

Mushy sounds like that, but raw could just be not cooked enough...unless by raw you mean mushy and not undercooked. I've definitely had undercooked bread puddings that didn't involve Krispy Kremes...

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Krispy Kreme AND sweetened condensed milk :hmmm: AND raisins :huh: AND butter rum sauce (made with a pound of confectioners sugar) :wacko: !!!??? Do you think this is sweet enough? :unsure: I think I'm gonna be ill. Where is the emoticon barf bag when we need it?

Ilene