• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Napkin folding and table settings

shelora

Hello,

Looking for some up-to-date information on napkin folding and table setting basics for the restaurant trade.

The info I've found on google so far is too old fashioned and fussy.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Shelora

Hello,

Looking for some up-to-date information on napkin folding and table setting basics for the restaurant trade.

The info I've found on google so far is too old fashioned and fussy.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Shelora

An interesting question that underscores a pet peeve of mine, Shelora.

1. If the napkin is in your wine glass, you're dining in the wrong suburb.

2. If the napkin is anything other than 100% cotton and white, you should remove yourself immediately, unless, of course, you're in a casual restaurant, especially one where you'll be eating with your hands.

3. If the napkin has been manipulated into an origami crane or other guiless creature, ditto. A napkin should be folded in half then into thirds, or, alternatively, into a neat triangle. Other than that it should not be touched by service staff. It may be placed to the left of the service setting, or in the middle of the setting in lieu of a charger.

As to cutlery, the knives should be sharp and the fork should have four tines. The soup spoons should enjoy a capacity of at least one tablespoon. They should be sturdy and attractive but not so much so that they disappear. Hotel silver is my preferred weapon of choice.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I must disagree,

a) The napkin should be linen, white, softly starched. It may be damask self patterned, Coloured napkins are only acceptable at picnicss. Disposable napkins are not acceptable at all, except around hot dogs and the like.

b) I like the sevice staff unfolding the napkin and placing it on my lap, and also tidying or replacing it should I leave the table temporarily

c) At places I dine regularly, like a club, a napkin in a parsonal napkin ring is acceptable.

d) Napkins and tablecloths should not be tucked into ones' shirt, nor the top of the waistcoat

e) Cutlery should be laid tines and bowl up, with the hallmark invisible. No more than three courses of cutlery should be on the table at any time.

What about the optional dark napkin to avoid lint on your black silk slacks?....If decor appropriate I like the middle ground of a Burgundy napkin. Refolding is fine but groping around my lap isnt. :rolleyes:

t

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

b) I like the sevice staff unfolding the napkin and placing it on my lap, and also tidying or replacing it should I leave the table temporarily

Now for me, this would come under the heading of violating my personal space. Pulling out my chair is nice, but getting close enough to place my napkin makes me uncomfortable, even when done by extremely competent & professional waitstaff. (perhaps also because it has connotations of being treated as a child?)

I do agree that white linen is the ideal for fine dining, but am willing to negotiate color and content when dining at a more casual restaurant.

And yes please keep the napkin out of my glassware!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I hope everone here is referring to restaurants only. I've a selection of lovely coloured napkins that I keep out of the glassware, but circled with napkin rings. Is this allowed?

Oh well, doesn't matter...my family & friends are impressed by the fact the napkins are cloth & not paper. :raz:

[jackal10,Oct 24 2005, 11:02 AM]

I must disagree, a) The napkin should be linen, white, softly starched. It may be damask self patterned, Coloured napkins are only acceptable at picnicss. Disposable napkins are not acceptable at all, except around hot dogs and the like.

Agreed on the linen and double damask, which unfortunately, given the atrocious costs of laundry supply, have gone the way of the fish knife in all but the most exalted dining rooms here. At home though, we use them frequently; they can spruce up even a mid-week meal.

As for disposable napkins, we use them for barbecue and other hand foods. Blame the Virgo in me, but I just can't get my mind around besmirching the linen with vast smears of mahogany sauce.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I just can't get my mind around besmirching the linen with vast smears of mahogany sauce.

and that cloyingly sticky element, matched with your well-described mahogany sauce, makes the disposable option virtually essential.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 2 years later...

I came across the book Luigi’s Language of Napkin Folding (Luigi Spotorno) and was thinking if buying it – until I looked it up on Amazon to discover there are 47 alternative titles.

Please recommend a favourite and give me some pointers as to the folds you particularly like?

• 2 weeks later...

Napkins folded into anything other than flat rectangles, or possibly triangles are abhorrent,, so that the service staff can shake them out and place them on the diner's lap, and repalce them if the diner gets up.

IF you find your bread roll balanced in a bishops hat folding you have wandered into a 1970 time warp. Pleats and fans even worse.

For regular diners (as in a club, home or holiday hotel) personalised rings and pigeonholes may be provided. A neat stiff paper ring is acceptable, provided the service staff can still easily unfold the napkin for the diner.

Thanks for the thought. I agree that the economic/convenience argument for not folding napkins is pretty strong, but taste and context do vary.

I take it that the bishop’s hat fold might be appropriate for a 70’s theme night? Are there any others that are particularly associated with the time period? Or other time periods?

And for a children’s party, I quite liked the idea of flying saucer napkins or a space creature fold.

My particular and immediate need is to dress a table for a group of wonderful theatricals who (unknowingly) are going to be subjected to the surreal experience of the alchemy of the ‘molecular gastronomy’ chefs, and I thought that something slightly more interesting than a plain folded napkin could add to the experience along with some unusual tableware?

Do you know of any napkin folding books that have quirky, unusual ideas?

I’m bumping this thread just to see if there are any thoughts over the past few days…I have a book to buy.

There are only so many ways you can fold a napkin. Chances are there won't be much difference amongst the books which you were looking at, at least in terms of the different designs, so you could probably choose any one of them and find an interesting design. If you're serious about buying a book for this sort of thing, the most important feature should be clarity of instruction--good diagrams, easy to follow instructions, etc.

Another option is to go for an origami book. As long as your napkins are square, you could probably do most of the less involved origami designs.

Food as theatre a good topic for discussion.

I think if your food is unconventional you get maximum impact with as conventional a setting as possible - white linen napkins, polished silver, mahogany table, candles in silver candlesticks etc.

If your food is dull then you need theatrical presentation - smoke and mirrors, stunts, costumes for the servers, fireworks etc Examples might be a reproduction medieval feast, or kit the place out as a space ship interior and serve pureed food in tubes...