• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's looks to sell quality: the makeover

Gifted Gourmet

McDs has reduced its fat a great deal over the years and added salads and fruit and lowfat shake mixes, no more transfats etc.

I have absolutely no issue with McDs being unhealthy any longer.

4 star restaurants are far fattier!

I ate at Applebees recently (my son wanted to go) and it was dripping with grease.

Some grilled chicken cesar salads are 1000 calories, far more then a big mac at 300.

Its just a stereotype that refuses to die.

Odd that. I get different figures. For example, Wikipedia says that a Big Mac is 540 calories and 47% fat. McDonalds seems to agree.

Edited by Ohba (log)

Hahaha it's funny how Maccas (that's McDonald's) has been trying extremely hard to promote salads, fat free yogurts, healthy eating and all that jazz in recent years :laugh:

I'ts even more funny that some people buy into all of this.

For me, I still do eat at Maccas but it has nothing to do with 'health' reasons ( :rolleyes: ) -if I wanted to, I'd carefully prepare my own meal at home or eat elsewhere -but because it's convenient when you're out or in a rush, is relatively cheap for my tight arse self, and admittedly...I just LOVE the Filet O'Fish! The McNuggets are good too ( :unsure: )...I don't really eat all that much else from Maccas though.

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Odd that. I get different figures. For example, Wikipedia says that a Big Mac is 540 calories and 47% fat. McDonalds seems to agree.

Whatever the count. Its not as caloric as that chicken caesar I mentioned.

Beef in general is fattening.

No one ever says, "Gee, I better not eat at that TGI Fridays, or Applebees, or Taco Bell, they are horribly fattening and unhealthy"... Its JUST McDonalds people pick on!

The A-Typical sit down restaurant includes, bread with butter (or chips and dip), a high cal high fat appetizer (or two) and a USA sized portioned Entree and a dessert and coffee and soda and maybe wine...

NOW which restaurant is more unhealthy?

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Hahaha it's funny how Maccas (that's McDonald's) has been trying extremely hard to promote salads, fat free yogurts, healthy eating and all that jazz in recent years :laugh:

I'ts even more funny that some people buy into all of this.

i've bought it.

That is, I have bought their salads. Not bad, really. If you were somplace where McDonalds was the only convenient choice, or were with a group of poeple that just insisted in McDonalds, the salads aren't a bad choice, especially if you go with the grilled chicken as opposed to the breaded one. So, I appreciate them being on the menu.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Me too Jmseeker!

The Southwestern one was really good. Nice idea to add the lime wedge and all... They actually use mesclun! OMG! The nerve not to use iceberg!

Another thing, in the infancy of McDonalds the shakes were made with whole milk and real ice cream. They are now significantly lower in both fat and calories.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

wow, thought I was the only one who enjoyed mickey d's ice coffees. They taste like pure dessert - especially with sugar and cream and plus they are only $0.99.

The other month, I had a nice chicken bacon ranch (something or other) sandwich from them and it was pretty damn good. The bacon was surprisingly crispy and thick and wasn't flacid and thin like the shit bacon that comes on burgers at wendys. I'm sure it was a million calories, but I'd definitely order it again.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I do admit I like the Southwestern Salad (and the Asian one too.) It's nice to have some reassurance that I can get a salad with actual greens on one of fifty billion locations across the planet. However, I did have one case where the woman working the counter spread fifty pounds of gooey "glaze" on my Asian chicken salad after I asked for dressing on the side...dammit!

I haven't eaten one of the cheeseburgers in many, many years though. I have memories of eating them as a little kid and being totally repulsed by the finely diced (and thus irremovable) onions. And the bathrooms. The bathrooms at McDonalds tend to be scary.

every time I have ordered a salad, the dressing has always come in a little packet (it's actually Newman's Own brand). The packet is in a bag with a fork and a napkin. I then dress it myself. this has been my experience for both dine in and to-go.

• 1 month later...

I happened to notice this morning that the local McDonald's are now touting their breakfast sausage used in their breakfast sandwiches as "savory sausage". They never made this distinction before. So my question is, is there another kind of sausage that they use? Or will they be introducing a sweet sausage in the near future?

Is anyone in a test market where they're selling a sweet sausage (or sausage that's not their typical savory sausage)? I am discounting the sausage they're using in the so-so McSkillet Breakfast Burrito. :hmmm:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 5 months later...

McDonald's has added a chicken biscuit sandwich. Someone else on eGullet posted about it but I can't find that discussion. I think the post mentioned it as a breakfast item but so far there hasn't been any advertising/positioning as to whether it's a breakfast sandwich or an anytime-sandwich.

In my area, the local McDonald's are having a promotion this Thursday (5/15/08) where you can get a free chicken biscuit sandwich with the purchase of any large or medium drink. Since it's supposed to be about 95°F here that day (what happened to Spring? :blink: ) and they're also promoting a 42 ounce Coke special, it may be a done deal for me.

Has anyone else tried the new McDonald's chicken biscuit sandwich?

Tim Oliver

I had it twice, already. It's suprisingly good. Light batter/breaded coating, moist white meat, no gristle or anything, and it's nicely seasoned. It goes well with their already awesome biscuits. My only complaint is that it's a bit bland, the coating could use a little more oomph, maybe some more black pepper. Otherwise, the quality is there, and I can see myself craving them in the future.

Their other nod to the South, the "Sweet Tea" is ungodly, though. :wacko:

McDonald's has added a chicken biscuit sandwich. Someone else on eGullet posted about it but I can't find that discussion. I think the post mentioned it as a breakfast item but so far there hasn't been any advertising/positioning as to whether it's a breakfast sandwich or an anytime-sandwich.

In my area, the local McDonald's are having a promotion this Thursday (5/15/08) where you can get a free chicken biscuit sandwich with the purchase of any large or medium drink. Since it's supposed to be about 95°F here that day (what happened to Spring?  :blink: ) and they're also promoting a 42 ounce Coke special, it may be a done deal for me.

Has anyone else tried the new McDonald's chicken biscuit sandwich?

haven't tried it, but I have seen the new products at a McDonalds in L.A.

There are actually TWO. One is a chicken biscuit served in the morning. The other is a "Southern Style" chicken sandwich (sold the rest of the day). Think Chick-Fil-A. Both products seem very similar.

There are actually TWO. One is a chicken biscuit served in the morning. The other is a "Southern Style" chicken sandwich (sold the rest of the day).  Think Chick-Fil-A.  Both products seem very similar.

You're correct. I just received an email from McDonald's and while I was racking my brain trying to figure out how they got my email address, I noticed the photos in the email of both items. In regard to the freebie this Thursday (in my area, at least...not sure if it's nationwide) from 7am to 10:30 they'll give away the Southern Style Chicken Biscuit and from 10:30am to 7pm they'll give away the Southern Style Chicken Sandwich (with purchase of medium or large drink). The sandwich looks like it's a breaded chicken patty on a hamburger bun with a dill pickle slice peeking out from under the bun top.

Tim Oliver

It's a very McDonald's day! I logged on to report on 3 (international!) McD's related things, and was surprised to find the McD's thread at the top of the page!

1) From US TV: McD's selling Southern-style Sweet Tea. $1 a cup! I actually have high hopes for this one. So, my American friends, what's the verdict?

2) From US radio: Biscuit Sandwich. I have to say I'm curious, but I'm chalking it up to being a Northerner enamoured with Southern cuisine. Plus after getting all excited by the McRib thread, then getting let down, I have my concerns!

3) From Canadian TV: The Angus Burger. Has anyone seen this ad? Dunno if it's just in Canada or what, but it's so tragic. To paraphrase the ad, "It's just like you'd make, so why not pass it off as your own". (The guy in the ad pretends he cooked the Angus burger for his friends).

The title of the thread makes reference to the new 'quality' of McD's food. I think the 2 new items above are a nice effort. I definitely get the concept they're going for, but does anyone else think that this ad takes it a bit far? Tell me the burger is premium, no problem. But comparing them to homemade? Especially just as BBQ season starts in Canada?

I tried the McDonalds Southern Style Chicken Sandwich yesterday for dinner. It as very similar to the Chick-Fil-A sandwich. But I would really need to try them side by side, I suppose, to best judge.

Okay. I'm impressed. Yesterday was the free giveaway of the Southern Style Chicken Sandwich at McDonald's. Everyone and their mothers showed up to get one. This led to a slight delay waiting for the next batch of sandwiches to come through.

To tell you the truth, I didn't hold out much hope for the sandwich. There are no condiments on the sandwich except for two lonely dill pickle slices. I thought it was a good thing that they made us order at least a medium drink in order to get the free sandwich because I figured it was going to be quite dry without any condiments. I was wrong. It was surprisingly moist and didn't really need anything else to help it out. They must brine/inject the meat to make it so moist.

I'd recommend removing the pickles. They didn't add much to the sandwich and I actually thought the tartness took away from how good the chicken tasted. I'm thinking the next time I'll try asking for the sandwich with mayo or lettuce or something else to see how big of a difference it will make.

The filet itself is not the processed and shaped stuff like the McNuggets. This was an actual piece of breaded chicken breast(?).

A coworker had the morning freebie which was a Southern Style Chicken Biscuit. The biscuit version is smaller than the sandwich version. Also, since the biscuits tend to be a little drier than the sandwich buns, the coworker said the chicken biscuit was good but a little dry (there were no condiments on the chicken biscuit either).

I'd order it again. I'd also like to try a side-by-side comparison to a Chick-Fil-A sandwich. Great idea, Jeff!

edited to clarify

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

I had one of these this week too. I went there only for french fries (guilty pleasure once every few months) but thought I would give this sandwich a whirl.

In comparison to Chick-fil-a sandwich, which they are obviously trying to compete with (same non-condiment of 2 pickle slices on that one), I thought the sandwich (both chicken & bun) was quite a bit smaller. The chicken itself was pretty moist & flavorful, a big improvement over their other chicken sandwiches if I recall. I drove through so added a bit of mayo at home. Chick-fil-a also offers lots of different condiment packages including mayo, honey, buffalo sauce & hot sauce.

I rarely make a special trip for either, but I think when my french fry urge calls, I'd do better with this sandwich than any other on their menu. I can't stand any of their hamburgers.

.... Chick-fil-a also offers lots of different condiment packages including mayo, honey, buffalo sauce & hot sauce. 

Buffalo sauce sounds great. I'll have to venture over to the mall to try the Chick-Fil-A. Too bad McD' doesn't use some of their chicken wrap sauces on this new sandwich.

Tim Oliver

RubyRed...home made was my first thought when tasting the Angus burger....like something left on the grill when you are late to a party. Big dry burger on a big dry bun. Much prefer a regular McD grease bomb

Everyone else on the chicken sandwich....keep your damn condiments Finally something I can order through the drive through... It really has no ketchup or mayo or freaky pink goo...YAY

tracey

I have a free coupon for biscut and sandwich to use up

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I wont be trying the Angus Burger because I dont eat meat. I did, however, order a grilled chicken sandwich last month. They've raised the price, added garlic mayo and put it on a ciabatta bun. It was no better than the previous incarnation.

I dont think we have the Southern Style Chix sandwich here in Canada. Everything is 1-2 yrs behind. Not that I'd ever step foot in KFC, but I believe they just got those god awful bowls( they've been in the states for years).

Next time I go to MI, I might try the Southern Style Chix( If I can pass up my new favorite, Jimmy John's)

Randi, I saw and ad for the McD's chicken sandwiches on a local TV station last week. I don't know if they're being offered everywhere -- sometimes Winnipeg is a test location (anybody remember McD's Pizza?), but it's probably on it's way if it's not near you yet.

I have been eating the McD's salads which are surprisingly very good.

One caveat as usual is it depends on which McD's you go to. The one right by work had frozen/thawed greens in the bottom of my bowl. I called to report --he said yeah they got a problem. So he KNEW about it already.

Yesterday for lunch I went to get a salad at the Holiday Ham place and the line was short but did not advance. Since it's right next door to McD's I just hopped in the car and got in line over there mentally pushing against the idea that McD's has crappy food. No no I told myself the salads are good and cheap and fast, get one. Sure enough it was good, cheap, fast and frozen/thawed greens again. Dag nab it. I mean you push against all the deserved bad reputation then you gotta deal with crapola. :rolleyes: They could fix the frige problem, no?

I mean if I have to drive to the other one down the road, I might as well drive a block more & get a LaBaguette's cobb salad--beaucoups of good, a couple dollars more but never frozen!

....Sure enough it was good, cheap, fast and frozen/thawed greens again. Dag nab it. I mean you push against all the deserved bad reputation then you gotta deal with crapola.  :rolleyes: They could fix the frige problem, no?

I mean if I have to drive to the other one down the road, I might as well drive a block more & get a LaBaguette's cobb salad--beaucoups of good, a couple dollars more but never frozen!

If you've reported the problem to that location's manager and the problem still persists, you should email McDonald's corporation to let them know that this franchise location has a reported but unresolved issue with their food. The McDonald's corporation doesn't like it when someone is f-ing up their food. :laugh:

Tim Oliver