• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Salon of Chocolate aka le Salon de Chocolat

John Talbott

I regret not having picked this up before but better late than never; the Salon of Chocolate runs through tomorrow (October 25th) at the Porte de Versailles. Saturday’s Figaro has several pieces on chocolate and the fair; their website is www.salonduchocolat.fr.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I felt like I was gaining weight just breathing the chocolate fumes, but only the knowledge that we were having dinner that night at L'Ambroisie kept me from diving into the vats.

I was seriously tempted to get the chocolate humidor. It comes complete with storage trays, silver tongs, square plates, and a tiny knife to split the best bits with your sweetie. Willpower was my middle name that day, but I might get it after all as a wedding gift for friends who like to end their feasts with cigars and chocolate.

I did pick up a chocolate that the manufacturer claimed would not trigger allergy headaches because it was processed at low temperatures. I'm bringing it to my chocolate-deprived sister-in-law to test.

The chocolatiers making hand-dipped chocolates at Madame Setsuko showed tremendous dexterity. I loved the tea ceremony ware display made of chocolate.

Culinista has it right. While we didn't attend this season's, in the past I have found that one either does "dive into the vats" as suggested or walks around in Culinista's "chocolate fumes", eventually leaving with little as souvenir. I think it takes at least one of these shows to teach you how to plan your visit to the next one. And I'm the chocoholic in the family. My husband just stands there looking dazed!

eGullet member #80.

• 1 year later...

At the recent Salon of Chocolate, the Chocolate awards for 2007 went to: Chocolat Chapon, Jean-Paul Hévin, Jacques Bockel, Morand Chocolats, Cinagra + Estaëlle in St Maur. Jean-Paul Hévin is in Paris and Cinagra in Madagascar; the rest are outside Paris.

John Talbott

• 2 weeks later...
At the recent Salon of Chocolate, the Chocolate awards for 2007 went to: Chocolat Chapon, Jean-Paul Hévin, Jacques Bockel, Morand Chocolats, Cinagra + Estaëlle in St Maur.  Jean-Paul Hévin is in Paris and Cinagra in Madagascar; the rest are outside Paris.

Patrice Chapon has two shops in Paris: one at 52 av. Mozart in the 16th, the other at 69 rue du Bac in the 7th.

At the recent Salon of Chocolate, the Chocolate awards for 2007 went to: Chocolat Chapon, Jean-Paul Hévin, Jacques Bockel, Morand Chocolats, Cinagra + Estaëlle in St Maur.  Jean-Paul Hévin is in Paris and Cinagra in Madagascar; the rest are outside Paris.

Patrice Chapon has two shops in Paris: one at 52 av. Mozart in the 16th, the other at 69 rue du Bac in the 7th.

Sorry, I was just quoting that the Mother House was in Chelles.

John Talbott

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This year's awards (according to Web Radio du Gout) went to (in France):

Jean-Paul Hévin

Pascal Caffet

Pierre Hermé

Dalloyau

Monsieur Chocolat

Le Cacaotier in Enghien-les-Bains

Saunion Chocolaterie in Bordeaux