• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dutch Cooking (2005-2006)

Poffertjes!

First, I have to apologize for my flimsy poffertjespan. The traditional pan would be made of heavy cast iron. But, this one was cheap, and how can you resist a pan that has your actual name printed on it?  :biggrin:

gallery_21505_1968_3084.jpg

gallery_21505_1968_11600.jpg

gallery_21505_1968_40996.jpg

I had these for the first time last year in florida. A friend of mine is opening a bed in breakfast in Cocoa and we were testing breakfast recipes. She borrowed the cast iron pan from a friend of her that just brought it from holland. The combination of me making this for the first time and the new pan resulted in some burnt poffertjes.

We made so many poffertjes that day i get full thinking about it.

It was served with siroop and powder sugar...they were great!!

Now i have the written recipe sinds my friend never measured anything.

Edited by kaneel (log)

MelissaH, what happened to the beef? I hope it was good!

We finally got to it on Monday night. And yes, it was amazing, and will be making repeat appearances on our table at some point! I let my husband make the mashed potatoes (one advantage of waiting for a night he was home) and I made a warm brussels sprout slaw (thinly sliced the "little brains," as my husband calls them, sauteed them in a touch of olive oil with S&P, added the zest and juice of a blood orange, and served) and some green beans to go with. It was a very nice birthday dinner for me, although not even close to the last birthday dinner you cooked. :raz:

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Goede Morgen!

Everything's looking delicious as ever. I have to remember not to read this site when lunch is still 1.5 hours way. GOD!

Chufi, you read my mind (or stomach). I was very happy to see the poffertjes, especially since I'd lost my recipe, and in the couple of Dutch cookbooks I have, there are no poffertjes recipes for some odd reason.

I would like to make them this weekend for a special brunch. Could you remind me how much yeast is in a typical sachet over there? And is there such thing as a yeastless poffertje? I think I've made them this way before, but no idea if they were in any way authentic.

Also, Chufi, have you seen this site/heard of this organization? You must have, but someone just emailed it to me and I thought I'd share (it's in Dutch, apologies for those who can't read it--it's a site about the Dutch culinary tradition, and looks like there will be a Dutch food festival, "Nederland Smaakt" this summer, June 10.)

http://www.culinairnl.nl/

Sorry for such a long post. I'm going to go see what's new on your Amsterdam thread now :smile:

Hi Bunniver, thanks for the link, that looks interesting! Maybe I should visit that festival this summer!

For the poffertjes: 1 sachet of instant yeast over here is 7 grams. I've seen recipes for yeastless poffertjes, just use selfraising flour instead of ordinary flour with yeast.

Mine came out quite yeasty-tasting, so you could use a little less than one sachet if that's what you prefer, or do the selfraising flour version.

Stamppot. You thought you'd seen them all? You're wrong :biggrin:

Here's another one: stamppot raapstelen, made with turniptops.

Bunches of turnip tops appear at the market late February, early March, and are the first messengers of spring. Their flavor is light, fresh and delicate, and they make a great spring-stamppot.

gallery_21505_1968_80741.jpg

they are so pretty!

the leaves are very delicate and bruise easily. You often see bunches of tired, wilted Raapsteeltjes for sale.. but these were in great condition.

Mix them, shredded, into the mash

gallery_21505_1968_7915.jpg

gallery_21505_1968_39676.jpg

Like other stamppot, this is often served with fried smoked bacon, but because the flavor of the greens is so fresh and fragrant, I prefer it with lighter stuff. I often serve it with fish, it's great with pan-fried sole or plaice. Today I had it with a light lamb stew, picture here in the Dinner! thread

Edited by Chufi (log)

Stamppot. You thought you'd seen them all? You're wrong  :biggrin:

Here's another one: stamppot raapstelen, made with turniptops.

Bunches of turnip tops appear at the market late February, early March, and are the first messengers of spring. Their flavor is light, fresh and delicate, and they make a great spring-stamppot.

gallery_21505_1968_80741.jpg

they are so pretty!

Beautiful. And so nice to have concrete proof Spring is coming (it is -16 Celsius with the wind chill in frigid Ottawa today on this "First day of Spring"), so I badly need to see something like turniptops soon.

What other greens are they close to in flavour, would you say, Chufi?

What other greens are they close to in flavour, would you say, Chufi?

they are similar to the greens on a bunch of radishes (would you call that radish greens?) which is no surprise considering radishes and turnips are related!

• 2 weeks later...

Chufi, I told you I would eventually post!

I made your Sukerbole bread tonight! Actually I tried making it last night, but it didn't turn out, lol. I THOUGHT I got some whole wheat pastry flour at the store but I must have just gotten regular whole wheat because I normally use whole wheat pastry in everything that calls for white and it bakes perfectly, but last night it was terrible! So I threw it out and started anew this morning with white flour.

I tried to delicately mix in the sugar bits and ended up making a bit of a swirl in the bread, but the chunks are still there and are crunchy and delicious. Jim's going to die when he has this for breakfast tomorrow!

I ended up buying unprocessed sugar cubes and breaking them up a bit. It worked out great. And, obviously, I had to veganize it, since it called for butter, egg and milk, but that was easy to do.

This is some of the best bread I've ever tasted! Thank you so much for the recipe! I'm raving about it in Pattychat right now!

sugarbole.jpg

Krispychecks, it looks really really pretty with the swirl of sugar and cinnamon.

I am so glad you liked it! And how dedicated of you to give it a second try after you threw the first one out. When that happens to me, I usually don't bake for a week :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

butter braised beef (minus the butter) for dinner on saturday. since john can't handle butter i used olive oil. served with mashed potatoes and roasted garlic and honey glazed carrots. john inhaled it and couldn't believe that the beef was only good beef, salt , pepper, bay leaf and 2 cloves - course he didn't remember that i had made it for him before and told him the recipe, either. this is the best - thanks so much again, klary!!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Klary,

Our Passover seder was quite the international affair and it was unanimous that the chocolate-covered Weesper Moppen are outstanding!

The guests consisted of two Philipinos, one Dutch, two Germans, two Israelis, a Brit, an Italian, an American and a South African.

These cookies will be definitely be included in future Passover seders.

Thanks again for the recipe.

Klary, I made butter braised beef last night, for dinner tonight. I snuck a goodly sample this morning. Oh it was difficult to put it back in the fridge.

The house smells like heaven. Thank you.

Because I made it so late at night, after I finished browning the beef, I braised it in the oven at 300F for 4 hours (instead of on the stovetop). Its all shreddy and lovely now, but I think I'll go down to 275F next time, as the bubbling was a tad vigorous when I got up to take it out of the oven. Or, if you have experience cooking it in the oven, I'll follow your recommendation.

If I find new potatoes, I'll serve it with them. Otherwise, mashed. One day I want to recreate Abra's menu from her blog, when she made this recipe.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Suzilightning how ingenious to make butter braised beef without the butter. I'm glad it still tasted good! I agree with you, if you have good beef, this is the dish to show it off. With not so good beef, you will definitely know it's not so good :smile:

That's a lovely pancake Ashiana! By coincedence, I was at an old-fashioned pancakerestaurant today (in the woods near Laren, about half an hour's drive from Amsterdam, where our royal palace is located) and had a very large, very delicious bacon & syrup pancake. :smile:

Kouign Aman, I'm glad you like the beef. Cooking it in the oven would be fine, just (like you said) make sure it stays at a gentle simmer.

The oven isn't much used in traditional Dutch home-cooking, except for baking. Roasts are for instance very uncommon. But there's no reason why you shouldn't do it in the oven if that's more convenient.

I can't believe people go on cooking Dutch food and keeping this thread alive, when I am far from active on it! thanks everybody :wub:

Edited by Chufi (log)

Chufi, I told you I would eventually post!

I made your Sukerbole bread tonight!  Actually I tried making it last night, but it didn't turn out, lol.  I THOUGHT I got some whole wheat pastry flour at the store but I must have just gotten regular whole wheat because I normally use whole wheat pastry in everything that calls for white and it bakes perfectly, but last night it was terrible!  So I threw it out and started anew this morning with white flour.

I tried to delicately mix in the sugar bits and ended up making a bit of a swirl in the bread, but the chunks are still there and are crunchy and delicious.  Jim's going to die when he has this for breakfast tomorrow! 

I ended up buying unprocessed sugar cubes and breaking them up a bit.  It worked out great.  And, obviously, I had to veganize it, since it called for butter, egg and milk, but that was easy to do.

This is some of the best bread I've ever tasted!  Thank you so much for the recipe!  I'm raving about it in Pattychat right now!

sugarbole.jpg

I really need to keep up! There's a recipe for this?! Is it in RecipeGullet? This looks like something I really need to try.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I really need to keep up!  There's a recipe for this?!  Is it in RecipeGullet?  This looks like something I really need to try.

Marlene, I am waaaaay behind with putting recipes up in Recipe Gullet.. :blush: but the recipe is here in this post upthread

Chufi, thank you! One question. What is syrup from the ginger jar?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

What is syrup from the ginger jar?

You can buy two kinds of preserved ginger. One is more candy-like, has a coat of sugar crystals, and looks like this. The other is similar but rather than being 'dry', the chunks of candied ginger float in the simple syrup used to preserve them. So for the recipe, buy the kind that comes in syrup and save some of the syrup.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda