• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dutch Cooking (2005-2006)

So I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but for some reason as soon as I saw those koggetjes upthread I knew I had to have them, and soon. I made them today, which record time for me (I plan many a cooking project that I never get around to). I didn't have any vanilla sugar in the house, so I just used a little vanilla extract, and I left out the milk because the dough looked a little loose before I would have added it. I would have taken a picture, but of course I tried to bake too many at once and they all spread together. Also, I think they need to cool a bit on the baking sheet before trying to remove them, because I also destroyed a few that way. Anyway, they're delicious even if they aren't pretty. My husband says they're his new favorite. Chufi, have you tried adding any additional flavorings to them? I was thinking a little orange zest would be really nice, or maybe even rosemary or anise. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Live it Up, I am so glad I was able to inspire you. No, I've never tried variations, but I think you're right, orangezest would be nice, or maybe ginger?

And yes, they do spread, most awfully...

Merry Christmas everybody!

Kerstkransjes, Christmas wreath-cookies

While these are ofcourse not uniquely Dutch, they are everywhere in the shops and bakeries this time of year, and I thought this was a nice way to wish all the readers of this thread Happy Holidays - whatever you're celebrating!

gallery_21505_1968_21570.jpg

200 gram soft butter

150 gram sugar

1 tablespoon milk

pinch of salt

300 grams flour, sifted

1/2 teaspoon bakingpowder

1 egg, beaten

sliverd almonds and/or coarse sugar, to decorate

Mix the butter, sugar, milk, salt together. Add the flour and baking powder and quickly mix to a smooth sough. Wrap in plasticfilm and leave to rest in the fridge for about an hour.

Preheat the oven to 160 C. Roll out the dough (it will be very firm when it comes out of the fridge, but it will quickly soften enough to roll it out). Cut into wreathshapes and place on lined cookiesheets.

Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the almonds and/or sugar. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.

Hang in the tree or just eat them!

Thank you for this all-year gift you keep renewing for us. The cookies on the red-decorated tree are just beautiful---Miss Martha would be proud.

And a Happy Holiday to Y'all so far away!!!

[Moderator note: The original Dutch Cooking topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the following part of this discussion is here: Dutch Cooking (2007-)]

Edited by Smithy
Repaired broken link (log)