• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dutch Cooking (2005-2006)

150 gms of sugarchips appears twice in the filling ingredient list - it's just one batch or 150 grams, right?

Right. Fixed it, thanks :smile:

I'll put this in RG tomorrow.

Did you steep the saffron in the warm milk?

no, but now that you mention it, I probably should have....

Hi Klary,

I got out the dried capucijners that I grew in my garden over the summer and prepared them for dinner tonight. The cooked peas had a nice texture and flavor, especially with the bacon added. I forgot the fried onions, though.

This is a photo of the dried peas:

gallery_36660_2126_46340.jpg

The pea pods on these peas are quite striking. They're bright purple.

Here is the finished dish (ready for the Dinner II thread, but very tasty):

gallery_36660_2126_107785.jpg

Thanks again for exposing us to Dutch cooking!

April

edited to remove an extra word

Edited by azureus (log)

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

edited to add: here's one I bought in Harlingen, Friesland, earlier this year when I was on a weekend trip there. I think I came pretty close!!

I think yours looks better!!!

I'm giving my daughter's teachers various homemade loaves for Christmas - I think I'll try to find some pearl sugar and give this one a try!!!

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Hi April,  Great photo! What else is on that plate of tasty-looking goodness?

Thanks! I snuck in some non-dutch dishes. To the left is a pork chop with applesauce from the "Italy Today" cookbook. To the right is a gratin based on the "Pumpkin Gratin Provencal" recipe that I found here on eGullet. I replaced half the pumpkin with beets.

Maybe I've started Dutch Fusion cooking?

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

Hey everyone

I finally decided it was time for me to post.

I have been following this thread since it got started.

This is such an amazing site!!

Chufi you brought back so many memories , i am from suriname so we grew up with some of the food you have cooked so far.

I absolutely love spekulaas but never attempted to make it home

My mom and brother who live in holland bring some of the goodies i can't find here

Hey everyone,

Chufi you brought back so many memories , i am from suriname so we grew up with some of the food you have cooked so far.

My mom and brother who live in holland bring some of the goodies i can't find here

Gevulde koeken zo lekker, oh and what i would do for a piece of komijnse kaas.

All that said ....in the future i would defenitely like to start a thread with some food from my country

Keep the recipes coming chufi.................

[...]All that said ....in the future i would defenitely like to start a thread with some food from my country[...]

Please do! I'd be very interested to see what a country whose people have such diverse origins produces.

Michael aka "Pan"

Gevulde koeken zo lekker, oh and what i would do for a piece of komijnse kaas.

All that said ....in the future i would defenitely like to start a thread with some food from my country

Keep the recipes coming chufi.................

Hi Kaneel! (lovely screenname!)

I'm glad you joined us... and yes it would be wonderful if you could start a thread about Surinamese cooking.. I know absolutely nothing about Surinam cuisine.. and I don't think it has been covered very much on EGullet.. so you could really enlighten us!

Chufi, do you think Chinese rock sugar--crushed somewhat--would work in place of the sugar chips?

I've never seen pearl sugar here, much less the sugar chips.

Your pictures are just gorgeous. I can't wait to try out some of your recipes!

Hi miladyinsanity..

I am not familiar with Chinese rock sugar, but I think it may be similar to Dutch rock sugar. This is a very hard sugar.. we use it in tea and coffee, where it melts slowly. It looks like this, there is also a white variety. This is not suitable for the sugarbread.

If the pieces of Chinese rock sugar are too hard to easily bite into, then it's not suitable for this recipe. You need lumps of sugar that melt into the dough while the loaf is baking, so that in the endresult you have semi-soft, crunchy bits of sugar.

So in that case, i would advise to use regular sugarlumps/cubes and crush them, making sure that they are not crushed to a powder.

. . . . .

Fifi,

thank you, again, for your kind words.

To think that your home in Houston has the wonderful smell of Dutch draadjesvlees wafting through it.. that's a lovely thought  :smile:

I get the same sort of feeling when I get a PM from someone who tried one of my recipes. It is sort of like watching one of your kids get a diploma or something.

That beef recipe is so good that if I ever get my hands on something as exotic as Wagyu beef shoulder, that is how I will cook it. I just had leftovers for lunch, dunking some good bread in the butter, and it was sublime.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

That beef recipe is so good that if I ever get my hands on something as exotic as Wagyu beef shoulder, that is how I will cook it. I just had leftovers for lunch, dunking some good bread in the butter, and it was sublime.

I have been thinking alot about all the rave reviews this recipe is getting. You know, this was a dish I grew up on.. literally.. I think I mentioned this before, but my mom cooked this every other week, a big pan of it, and then we would eat it for days. So I really had countless plates of this in my youth.. and when I left home, it took me maybe 10 years to make it for myself.. for me it symbolized the totally bland, adventureless cooking of my mom, the meat-and potatoes-and boiled vegetable- dinners that kept rotating week after week and never changed.

So you see why this thread means so much to me. It is about showing others the food that I am proud of, but I have not been feeling that pride for very long. It's still sort of new to me and that's why all your kind words and encouragement are so valuable.

The past weeks have been very enlightening and educational for me. I found a whole new approach to cooking thanks to this project. More respect for single, good ingredients, and more dedication to doing the simple things really right... instead of prettying up something mediocre with lots of spices, garlic and flavorings.

I am exaggerating here, because ofcourse, in the kitchen like everywhere else, there is a time and place for everything. And after a couple of nights of traditional Dutch cooking I do find myself craving chillies, tomatosauce and ginger. :biggrin:

To me, it's about respect for your food, and learning to listen to what the ingredients demand to make the best of them. Going back to the basics has helped me a lot in this respect.

I won't be posting much for a while - I am scheduled to have surgery this Monday, nothing too serious, but I am not sure when I will be up and about and cooking again.

I just want to let you all know that I am not abandoning this thread, and so that you know why I am not posting or answering questions.

I will be back when I can, with more Delights from my Dutch Kitchen! Thanks for reading along everybody!

I won't be posting much for a while - I am scheduled to have surgery this Monday, nothing too serious, but I am not sure when I will be up and about and cooking again.

I just want to let you all know that I am not abandoning this thread, and so that you know why I am not posting or answering questions.

I will be back when I can, with more Delights from my Dutch Kitchen! Thanks for reading along everybody!

I am sure we all wish you the very best and a speedy recovery. You will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers.

Edited for sloppy finger work.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I hope your sugery is uneventful and that you have a swift recovery.

Thoughts and prayers headed your way from Arizona, USA.

Chufi, do you think Chinese rock sugar--crushed somewhat--would work in place of the sugar chips?

I've never seen pearl sugar here, much less the sugar chips.

Your pictures are just gorgeous. I can't wait to try out some of your recipes!

Hi miladyinsanity..

I am not familiar with Chinese rock sugar, but I think it may be similar to Dutch rock sugar. This is a very hard sugar.. we use it in tea and coffee, where it melts slowly. It looks like this, there is also a white variety. This is not suitable for the sugarbread.

If the pieces of Chinese rock sugar are too hard to easily bite into, then it's not suitable for this recipe. You need lumps of sugar that melt into the dough while the loaf is baking, so that in the endresult you have semi-soft, crunchy bits of sugar.

So in that case, i would advise to use regular sugarlumps/cubes and crush them, making sure that they are not crushed to a powder.

Thank you. I think it should work, or barley sugar if it doesn't.

Get well soon!

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

We'll be waiting for you with much anticipation! Get well soon!

April

Chufi, I have recently become a member of EG and I stumbled across your postings. My father is Dutch and has been in Australia for 52 years now, but he loves his food cooked the "dutch way" and my oma taught my mother quite a few dutch recipes and now my mother had taught me some to. I have gone through your postings on here and have printed some of them out and I am going to surprise my father with a few of your recipes next year for his 60th birthday.

I do hope you are keeping well and that the operation has been successful.

My thoughts are with you.

Tina

Edited by curlylocks (log)

Just saw the above. May all be well with you and your recovery swift and complete.

Many thanks for all of your delicious recipes. You and the other "recipe posters" are wonderful teachers and true goodwill ambassadors :smile:

Shelly

Klary, you've been in my thoughts this week!

So has your sukerbole, which I made this afternoon.

gallery_26775_1880_190550.jpg

It's delicious! My oven may have been a bit too hot (I really need to get an oven thermometer, because I think the dial is just off), but it came out well, if a bit dark on top! And, man, is it tasty!

Thank you so much for this recipe...I can't wait to make it for my family for breakfast on Christmas morning. :biggrin:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007