• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Acetate

Ling

The only place that I know for sure has it, is Ravensburgen Baking and Pastry Supplies.  But they are out in Port Coquitlam.

Here's the link for Ravensburgen. What an amazing selection! Are there more stores like that in the lower mainland?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I can't imagine all the lovely sweet shops you guys visit in Vancouver import their suppplies so there has to be someone. Maybe I'll have to get brave and call Sen5es or Ganache Patisserie or something.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

The thing is that most of the places that i know are Wholesalers, and don't supply the public, whereas Ravensburgen has a store that you can actually go get stuff at.

If you want a wholesaler, you can try places like Lentia and Qzina....or Dominic Jarry.

Don't bother trying Michael's. No acetate last time two times I checked.

Ling, could you please let us know if you do find a source? I've also been looking for acetate for some time, primarily for use in mousse cakes.

Thanks.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

The art supply stores sound promising...I'll call around first. If I can't find it, I'll head out to PoCo...dun dun DUN! :wacko: (I'll have to block off a whole day just in case I get lost on my way there.)

ETA: I clicked the Ravensbergen Baking link...there's so much that I've been looking for! They have the heavy duty nylon pastry bags, which I haven't been able to find ANYWHERE! OH man...that's for the tip, Irishgirl. Looks like I have to head out to PoCo.

sanrensho: I'll pick up some acetate for you in the next week or so, if you'd like.

Edited by Ling (log)

sanrensho: I'll pick up some acetate for you in the next week or so, if you'd like.

Thanks for the offer! Unfortunately, I don't get out to Richmond often and my schedule is pretty haphazard, so it probably makes more sense for me to get it on my own. Again, I do appreciate the offer.

What are you using the acetate for? Something to do with chocolate?:smile:

Yes, the Plaisir Sucre in Pierre Herme's Chocolate Desserts book. (It's the plated version of his famous "The Cherry on the Cake" dessert.)

Also plan on using the acetate for collars and such for mousse cakes.  :smile:

Sounds good. I'd love to hear how your shopping trip at Ravensburgen turns out.

Heavy duty pastry bags are something that I probably need.

Ling you're out in Richmond right? Definately try Dominique Jarry he does sell to the public, but call first to make sure he's open. He's in Steveston. If he doesn't have something in I believe he'll order it.

Dominique Jarry Sugar Art Inc

604-271-8803

12000 1st Avenue,

Richmond, BC V7E 3L9

Yes, the Plaisir Sucre in Pierre Herme's Chocolate Desserts book. (It's the plated version of his famous "The Cherry on the Cake" dessert.)

Also plan on using the acetate for collars and such for mousse cakes.  :smile:

I love that book, so many great recipes. What cookbook(s) are you using for the mousse cakes?

Ravensburgen looks awesome, I can see myself going a little crazy in there. I'd be interested to hear about your trip too.

I called Lentia and Qzina last year looking for fruit purees for home use (mousse cakes, sorbets, fruit jellies). They both sell to individuals, but I think Lentia has a minimum order and delivery only. For Qzina, you can go directly to the warehouse and get what you want. (I may have that backwards.) I haven't made it out to either of them yet so I don't know if that's still true.

Qzina webpage (seems unreliable)

Lentia webpage

plunk, as far as I know, you have it right. I've called Qzina for pricing a few times and they are always very helpful. I think they have a minimum for delivery but I'm quite sure you can go to their store to pick up.

The only place that I know for sure has it, is Ravensburgen Baking and Pastry Supplies.  But they are out in Port Coquitlam.

Here's the link for Ravensburgen. What an amazing selection! Are there more stores like that in the lower mainland?

I went to Ravensbergen today and went home with a number of new baking things. :biggrin:

Irishgirl - thanks so much for the letting us know about this place. It's wonderful to have a bakery supplier much closer to home. They had the Panettone liners I was looking for as well as some great heavy duty icing bags and commercial grade tips.

It's a warehouse with a very small showroom in the front. I would recommend having a good look at their site before going as they only display a small amount of what is available. The selection is good as are the prices.

Ling - I didn't notice the acetate as that's not what I was looking for, but I suspect you'll go home with a lot more.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

I don't think I've come across acetate sheets in any cooking supply store...does anyone know where I can find them for sure? (Gourmet Warehouse? Cookshop?)

Hi Ling

Used to work for Xerox and we used Acetate for slides for projection on board room presentations. Most of the office supply companies will still have them. Don't know if ther is a "food grade"

What about Silpat? No stick mats?

Sheers

Malcolm

I just read the replies about the Ravensbergen website and OMG I feel a road trip coming on! I've never heard of them before and a quick check of their website revealed many baking toys that I'd been coveting for a while but didn't know any place in the area that sold them. My new toys will hopefully include some silicone leaf and flower moulds and an ice bombe cake set. Christmas might come early this year! :smile:

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

I don't think I've come across acetate sheets in any cooking supply store...does anyone know where I can find them for sure? (Gourmet Warehouse? Cookshop?)

Hi Ling

Used to work for Xerox and we used Acetate for slides for projection on board room presentations. Most of the office supply companies will still have them. Don't know if ther is a "food grade"

What about Silpat? No stick mats?

Sheers

Malcolm

I'm not sure if I can pour tempered chocolate on Silpat and then cut out what I need. Would this ruin my Silpat? Anyone?