• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Measurements

snowangel

So, we have the standard measurements. Be they metic or not. The tablespoon. The quarter of a cup. The ounce. The kilo. The ML.

But, then there are those I grew up with. The glug. The smattering. The pinch.

But, the one on so many of the recipe cards in my great grandmother's recipe box -- those recipes written in spidery fountain pen ink -- is the tidge.

I do know that the older I get, the less I worry about precise measurements, unless I am baking something new. I can't remember the last time I actually got out a measuring spoon to measure a tablespoon of oil.

So, what's in your lingo? And, what would you think a tidge would be? How carefullyl do you measure?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Great topic. I always thought that a pinch was about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon. A smidge was less than that, more like 1/8 teaspoon. Perhaps the smidge is a variant of the tidge?

And what about the smidgen? Is that a tad more than a smidge? Or less?

According to my grandmother, a tidge was less than a smidge.

And, her mother's "pat" of butter was not that thing you get at a restaurant, on that waxy thick paper with that was paper quare on top that says "butter" in blue letters. Her pat was a 1/4" slice (at least) off a 1 lb. block of butter.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Great topic. I always thought that a pinch was about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon.

I think a pinch is ... literally a pinch. Less than an 1/8th tsp.

My grandma cooked with a bisel or biselah (which really just means a little... but how little?) or a shtikel (a bit)

I would only use dollop for something like sour cream or yogourt or soft butter...I would tend to put a fat spoon's worth, like a dollop of whipped cream on top of a dessert. For butter, it would be somewhere between one and two TBS, soft.

This is all instinctual though, not official. :unsure:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

As well as my trusty 18/10 stainless steel cup, half, third and quarter cup measures, and my tablespoon, teaspoon, half, quarter and eigth...

I also have a set of three steel measuring spoons, marked 'dash', 'pinch', and 'smidgen'... I'll take a photo when my camera's charged. :biggrin:

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

I worked with a woman who called for a "just a whisper" of garlic.

Another friend used a scoshe. (sp)

How much is a dollop?

Skosh (pronounced with a long o sound) .is military slang--comes from Japanese sukoshi which means a little bit.

Fascinating! Thanks for that tidbit!

Just last night I was watching Julia Child demonstrate what constitutes a pinch vs. a large pinch. I don't think she gave equivalent measurements, though.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I worked with a woman who called for a "just a whisper" of garlic.

Another friend used a scoshe. (sp)

How much is a dollop?

Skosh (pronounced with a long o sound) .is military slang--comes from Japanese sukoshi which means a little bit.

Fascinating! Thanks for that tidbit!

Just last night I was watching Julia Child demonstrate what constitutes a pinch vs. a large pinch. I don't think she gave equivalent measurements, though.

The Sainted Julia said that a "pinch" is the maximum amount you can pick up between your thumb and forefinger. I think of this is nearly a teaspoon, particularly if the call is for a "good pinch."

I think of a "small pinch" as 1/4 teaspoon or a bit less.

Skosh (pronounced with a long o sound) .is military slang--comes from Japanese sukoshi  which means a little bit.

I always thought it was spelled scoche.

But, yes, imagine my surprise when I came across that vocab in my first Japanese class!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Skosh (pronounced with a long o sound) .is military slang--comes from Japanese sukoshi  which means a little bit.

Cool to know. I think my mom uses "a scosche".

we use gobbet to indicate the size you should cut meat into for stew like dishes. and of course adding a glug of cream to a dish never hurt anything :smile:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...