• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Truffles

Felonius

I love white Truffles, and usually get my fix every season at Cafe Boulud. CB offers them in a variety of presentations (over angel hair, gnocchi, with a fried egg, etc.) and I had a generous portion served over angel hair pasta yesterday. However, it's quite pricey at $110.00 for the plate. I'm wondering where I might find white truffles on offer for a lower price, as I could use of a few more helpings without breaking the bank. Any recommendations in Manhattan would be appreciated.

Below you'll find a write-up on a rather great value - 4 course truffle tasting menu at Sapori D'Ischia for $50. The reviews I've seen have been very positive.

Cafe Des Artistes has them in, and Chef Joseph know what to do with them !!!

Run !!!!

Interesting.... I was under the impression that Cafe Des Artistes was pretty much an overpriced tourist destination these days. Am I mistaken?

Do you know if they do a white truffle with pasta dish?

Below you'll find a write-up on a rather great value - 4 course truffle tasting menu at Sapori D'Ischia for $50. The reviews I've seen have been very positive.

Cafe Des Artistes has them in, and Chef Joseph know what to do with them !!!

Run !!!!

Interesting.... I was under the impression that Cafe Des Artistes was pretty much an overpriced tourist destination these days. Am I mistaken?

Do you know if they do a white truffle with pasta dish?

I went Sat night and it was great...Snooty, very fancy, new chef, Joe Paulino from Vong...

Very tasty !!!!

Not inexpensive !!!, but very good..

A call to San Domenico confirmed they had white truffles, so I headed there for lunch. They offered to serve them over risotto or taglietelli and I opted for the latter.

They charged $5 per gram, and I had ten grams shaved over the taglietelli. This along with the $30 prix fixe lunch menu set me back a total of $75 for appetizer, entree (the pasta) and dessert. Not a bad value in my opinion, and it seemed more actual truffle for the money than I had at Cafe Boulud last week. However, the truffle at Cafe Boulud was much more aromatic and intense in flavor, in another league really. I wonder if this has to do with the quality of the truffle or perhaps it freshness.

I had the veal chop stuffed with oyster mushrooms at Babbo. It was smothered in a shaved whole white truffle the size of a large walnut. The shavings covered the whole veal chop and then some. Cost of the dish was $120. Without the white truffle: $45. The truffle was excellent quality and the flavor it added to the veal chop was phenomenal.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I had the veal chop stuffed with oyster mushrooms at Babbo. It was smothered in a shaved whole white truffle the size of a large walnut. The shavings covered the whole veal chop and then some. Cost of the dish was $120. Without the white truffle: $45. The truffle was excellent quality and the flavor it added to the veal chop was phenomenal.

That sounds ridiculous. I want.

Edited by BryanZ (log)

I also had the veal chop at Babbo with white truffles. The dish itself was amazing; double cut chop, mushrooms, fontina cheese... my only issue was with the truffle! A small, small dried up end piece of the truffle was brought to our table- I was actually worried that the server was going to cut his finger on the slicer! The flavor was mediocre at best. Too bad. The rest of the meal was fantastic- love the food at Babbo. I had amazing white truffles at Per Se last week, by the way.

I also had the veal chop at Babbo with white truffles. The dish itself was amazing; double cut chop, mushrooms, fontina cheese... my only issue was with the truffle! A small, small dried up end piece of the truffle was brought to our table- I was actually worried that the server was going to cut his finger on the slicer! The flavor was mediocre at best. Too bad. The rest of the meal was fantastic- love the food at Babbo. I had amazing white truffles at Per Se last week, by the way.

How much are they upcharging for that and how is it presented?

Fatty,

Your experience mirrors mine. I love Babbo and have been dozens of times. However, the white truffles I have had there are exactly like you are describing. Small, not very good and dry. The server had index finger on the truffle and was trying hard to shave it on the dish.

As an aside, I just came back from Rome. Linguini with red mullet and white truffles was a memorable dish at La Rosetta. The aroma of the sea and the earth was a seductive and heady combination. The white truffle slices (can't call them shavings) were the size of my palm!!! Ok Ok, more objectively, they were about 2 inches by 1.5 inches. Most gorgeous truffles I have ever seen. Wow.

Fatty,

Your experience mirrors mine. I love Babbo and have been dozens of times. However, the white truffles I have had there are exactly like you are describing. Small, not very good and dry. The server had index finger on the truffle and was trying hard to shave it on the dish.

As an aside, I just came back from Rome. Linguini with red mullet and white truffles was a memorable dish at La Rosetta. The aroma of the sea and the earth was a seductive and heady combination. The white truffle slices (can't call them shavings) were the size of my palm!!! Ok Ok, more objectively, they were about 2 inches by 1.5 inches. Most gorgeous truffles I have ever seen. Wow.

But oh how much did it cost at La Rosetta. The prices there almost made me roll over - not that the seafood wasn't good but wow i think i spent more there for the food i got then anywhere i have ever been.

I did the 4 course truffle tasting at Sapori D'Ischia in queens last week - and overall it was very fun but not really a great truffle expierence. The dishes tasted fine but didn't really sing white truffles - no pasta with shaved truffles either - everything was either truffle butter or cooked in. Again i say go to the place but don't expect the same thing as you would get at Cafe Boulud

Honestly what is the big deal about truffles? What exactly is the allure? Is it the aroma or taste?

My first ever experience with truffles was a pasta dish with shaved truffles @ Babbo 1 to 2 yrs ago. The dish at Babbos had a generous amount of truffles but I was underwelmed by the truffles lack of flavor and aroma. This was just a standard dish that just happened to have truffles in it. I couldn't complain, the pasta would have tasted delicious even without the truffles, so I saw the truffles as a bonus.

Fast forward to last night. I went to Sapori D'Ischia for their truffle tasting menu. For $50 I was not expecting a lot. I was more there to experience the restaurant and see if its worthy for future visits.

The first course was some sort of truffled potato soup. It was very good but if there was truffles in it, I wouldn't know.

The second course was polenta with chantarelles (sp?) and shaved truffles. (I was really hoping for a pasta with shaved truffles) Another good dish, but again where is the truffles? Do truffles melt? My friend and I couldn't visually find any truffles. I wouldn't know if there was truffles in it unless someone told me.

The 3rd course was a hanger steak. Another good dish. Steak was cooked perfectly to medium rare. There was 4 visible tiny shavings of truffles. As I tasted the truffles it reminded me the first time I had it @ Babbos; truffles are just shaved pieces of corkboard.

The 4th course was dessert, so there's no need to go into details.

I would go to Sapori D'Ischia again. Overall the dishes was very good.

Someone please convince me truffles is worth the expense. I would like to try a more expensive truffle tasting menu or just a dish loaded with truffles. I just don't want to be disappointed if my $100+ plate of XXXXX with shaved truffles taste like XXXXX with shaved corkboard.

Honestly what is the big deal about truffles? What exactly is the allure? Is it the aroma or taste?

Someone please convince me truffles is worth the expense. I would like to try a more expensive truffle tasting menu or just a dish loaded with truffles. I just don't want to be disappointed if my $100+ plate of XXXXX with shaved truffles taste like XXXXX with shaved corkboard.

Honestly in my humble opinion Sapori D'Ischia is below par. To truly contemplate the Alba truffle one must cough up a suitable amount of cash to receive it. At ADNY they have a decent T.menu. The departed but finest rest. in the world of which i have dined Lesspinase (IMHO) is a much better venue then the others but alas Grey has moved on, we can just keep our fingers crossed that he will reopen a "fine' dining rest.

P.S. We have discussed this before but "T.Oil" is not a truffle derivitive(spl). If by happenstance you find yourself in ATL please try Antica Posta I know the owner well and his Albas are shipped to him by his brother who resides in a region close to Alba. From personal exoeirebence it is much more pratical to buy Albas and execute the dish oneself if one has a few hundred or thousnd $ worth laying around.

Edit: The allure is the musky botinical scent and the earthy taste. Sort of like opening a bottle of BOLS and savoring its earthy herbaciones and then adding a drop oof O.Bitters and further contemolating the scent

Edit2: Not that it tastes like this but whith a little tweaking it is fun to play with. I recently made a C.T. wit gin:O.bitters, 9 shaves W.Albal,egg W; then shake the shit out o' her.

To make it "golden keep yolk in and add a 1/8 sprinkle of salt to play wit' the yolk.

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

Alright, you caught me. I supply Alba White truffles to many of the restaurants written about here, in Manhattan. White truffles are limited, they need to be firm and smell fantastic. The prized truffles pick up a hint of the pine needles that grown near them, are larger than a golf ball, and smell like heaven should. The market price to the restaurants has averaged $110 an ounce this season. That results in a $3.50 coat per gram. Mushy truffles are bad, small ones are not preferred, and when put on anything with an egg base, they shine. Are they worth the restaurant MU. If you have to ask, why are you ordering a $39 bowl of pasta in the first place. I love them, I wish I could afford more of them, and I love chefs that use them liberally..

Honestly in my humble opinion Sapori D'Ischia is below par. To truly contemplate the Alba truffle one must cough up a suitable amount of cash to receive it. At ADNY they have a decent T.menu. The departed but finest rest. in the world of which i have dined Lesspinase (IMHO) is a much better venue then the others but alas Grey has moved on, we can just keep our fingers crossed that he will reopen a "fine' dining rest.

P.S. We have discussed this before but "T.Oil" is not a truffle derivitive(spl). If by happenstance you find yourself in ATL please try Antica Posta I know the owner well and his Albas are shipped to him by his brother who resides in a region close to Alba. From personal exoeirebence it is much more pratical to buy Albas and execute the dish oneself if one has a few hundred or thousnd $ worth laying around.

Edit: The allure is the musky botinical scent and the earthy taste. Sort of like opening a bottle of BOLS and savoring its earthy herbaciones and then adding a drop oof O.Bitters and further contemolating the scent

Edit2: Not that it tastes like this but whith a little tweaking it is fun to play with. I recently made a C.T. wit gin:O.bitters, 9 shaves W.Albal,egg W; then shake the shit out o' her.

To make it "golden keep yolk in and add a 1/8 sprinkle of salt to play wit' the yolk.

I'm headed to Atlanta today. Thanks for the tip. I've never been to Antica Posta, but will head there tomorrow!

My first ever experience with truffles was  a pasta dish with shaved truffles @ Babbo 1 to 2 yrs ago. The dish at Babbos had a generous amount of truffles but I was underwelmed by the truffles lack of flavor and aroma. This was just a standard dish that just happened to have truffles in it. I couldn't complain, the pasta would have tasted delicious even without the truffles, so I saw the truffles as a bonus.

Fast forward to last night. I went to Sapori D'Ischia for their truffle tasting menu. For $50 I was not expecting a lot. I was more there to experience the restaurant and see if its worthy for future visits.

The first course was some sort of truffled potato soup. It was very good but if there was truffles in it, I wouldn't know.

The second course was polenta with chantarelles (sp?) and shaved truffles. (I was really hoping for a pasta with shaved truffles)  Another good dish, but again where is the truffles? Do truffles melt? My friend and I couldn't visually find any truffles. I wouldn't know if there was truffles in it unless someone told me.

The 3rd course was a hanger steak. Another good dish. Steak was cooked perfectly to medium rare. There was 4 visible tiny shavings of truffles. As I tasted the truffles it reminded me the first time I had it @ Babbos; truffles are just shaved pieces of corkboard.

The 4th course was dessert, so there's no need to go into details.

I would go to Sapori D'Ischia again.  Overall the dishes was very good. 

I think white truffles are worth every cent, but that's a matter of personal preference. For example, I could care less about caviar, yet I have friends who will lay down similarly ridiculous sums for that indulgence.

I suspect you have never had a truly great white truffle. I'm no expert, but as I mentioned in a previous post, the truffle I had last week at Cafe Boulud was far superior to one had two days later at San Domenico. The difference was so great that it was like having a completely different food. The one at San Domenico was rather small, dry and had little flavor or aroma. They shave a good bit of it (10 grams) over pasta, yet I could hardly taste it. I would guess that they shaved about 5-7 grams over my pasta at Cafe Boulud, yet the smell and flavor was so pungent that diners at adjacent tables were savoring the smell with glint of envy in their eyes (the table next to me promptly ordered the truffles!).

I believe that if you come into contact with a great white truffle, you will know it immediately. You can smell them when a server carries them into a room. Whether or not you like their flavor/aroma is another matter.

Gramercy Tavern was offering them on Mon (10/24) but I wasn't interested in the upcharge (I think it was $40+ for the 1st course and I don't remember what it was for the 2nd course)

Had to go back to Cafe Boulud for one more truffle fix today.  The truffle was practically the size of a potato, moist, and white all the way through.    One of the most beautiful specimens I've seen.

Life is not fair. This white truffle talk depresses me for two reasons: 1) My inability to rasie funds Cafe Boulud or Per Se for the white truffle season 2) The fact that outside of NYC (read: the dirty South) white truffles might as well be aliens from Mars.

I was there last evening as well. Would agree with your description. But subtle truffle flavors are how I prefer a dish to be prepared. I don't want to be overwhelmed. If that was the case, I would by a truffle and eat it like an apple.

And the dinner was excellent - best $50 I spent in a restaurant in a long time.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Just to note - there were two dinners last night. I was there at 7:30 p.m. and had Chestnut Soup with Honey to start instead of Potato Soup and had Loin of Lamb instead of Hangar Steak. I understand they ran out of the Chestnut Soup and Lamb by 8:15. I was told they were very busy early.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!