• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amada

shacke

Hooray! I've been dying to check out Amada, and we've been having a real babysitter problem, so haven't been able to get out at all in ages (ack! how did I become a stuck-in-the-burbs mom in a mini-van :shock: ). Our next free day, hubby and I will definitely be there. Katie, you just made my night! :smile:

Hooray!  I've been dying to check out Amada, and we've been having a real babysitter problem, so haven't been able to get out at all in ages (ack! how did I become a stuck-in-the-burbs mom in a mini-van   :shock: ).  Our next free day, hubby and I will definitely be there.  Katie, you just made my night!     :smile:

:cool:

Come on in!

Would love to drink some Folie a deux there Katy, sorry I had to say it.  :wink:

Cherie:

I am but a lowly bartender these days. There is a manager taking care of the wine list (which has pretty much stayed the same since I put it together prior to opening). Since the list is primarily Spanish there was little room for anything but one or two California wines. I'd be happy to put in a good word for you with the appropriate parties though, for the next time that slot is available on the list. And I wouldn't expect you NOT to mention the Folie a Deux! :biggrin:

Were you drinking the La Bastida Reserva 1998 Tempranillo by any chance? That one is quite popular with the staff so it's always my first suspect when I hear that the waiter recommended a Tempranillo. It's very tasty stuff that pairs quite well with many of the menu items. If it isn't what you ordered last time, try it next time you're in.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Would love to drink some Folie a deux there Katy, sorry I had to say it.  :wink:
Cherie:

I am but a lowly bartender these days.  There is a manager taking care of the wine list (which has pretty much stayed the same since I put it together prior to opening).  Since the list is primarily Spanish there was little room for anything but one or two California wines.  I'd be happy to put in a good word for you with the appropriate parties though, for the next time that slot is available on the list.  And I wouldn't expect you NOT to mention the Folie a Deux!  :biggrin:

Katie,

Believe me I totally get it!  It's a Spanish Restaurant with Spanish wine which it should be of course.  You did a really great job on the list!  Actually the La Bastida was sold out at the time.  We had a new Tempranillo that was just brought in, the name escapes me.  I had to mention the Folie, I can fantasize about bringing my bosses there for dinner and be a rock star. 

Were you drinking the La Bastida Reserva 1998 Tempranillo by any chance?  That one is quite popular with the staff so it's always my first suspect when I hear that the waiter recommended a Tempranillo.  It's very tasty stuff that pairs quite well with many of the menu items.  If it isn't what you ordered last time, try it next time you're in.

I will totally come in a have a bite at the bar now that I know you are there. I am always lurking around peddeling my wares looking for a place to grab a bite! :wink: In all sincerity, it will be nice to see you and chat.

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

Cherie and Eileen:

I'm so glad you both enjoyed your Amada experiences.  This post also gives me the opportunity to let everyone know that Amada is now open for LUNCH!  Yes folks, you can come and have some great Amada grub for lunch now Monday-Friday.  We serve from 11:30AM-2:30PM and I will be cheerfully tending bar and would be happy to pair up some wine for you if you'd like.  There's the $12.50 "Catalan Express Lunch" which is your choice of one of two soups (Caldo Gallego or Zarzuela de Mariscos) and your choice of one of four salads (Tuna, Chicken & Romaine, Ensalda Verde or Serrano Ham & Fig) or one of four Sandwiches (Vegetarian, Steak, Chicken or Serrano Ham and Chorizo).  All these items are also available a la carte as well as an a la carte selection of many of our most popular tapas and charcuterie items.

It's been pretty quiet this week so I'm looking forward to seeing some of you stopping in to keep me company!

I stopped in Wednesday afternoon and the bartender didn't look like a Katie to me.

Cherie and Eileen:

I'm so glad you both enjoyed your Amada experiences.  This post also gives me the opportunity to let everyone know that Amada is now open for LUNCH!  Yes folks, you can come and have some great Amada grub for lunch now Monday-Friday.  We serve from 11:30AM-2:30PM and I will be cheerfully tending bar and would be happy to pair up some wine for you if you'd like.  There's the $12.50 "Catalan Express Lunch" which is your choice of one of two soups (Caldo Gallego or Zarzuela de Mariscos) and your choice of one of four salads (Tuna, Chicken & Romaine, Ensalda Verde or Serrano Ham & Fig) or one of four Sandwiches (Vegetarian, Steak, Chicken or Serrano Ham and Chorizo).  All these items are also available a la carte as well as an a la carte selection of many of our most popular tapas and charcuterie items.

It's been pretty quiet this week so I'm looking forward to seeing some of you stopping in to keep me company!

I stopped in Wednesday afternoon and the bartender didn't look like a Katie to me.

My apologies. That was Paul who was bravely filling in for me while I was off judging the Philly Cooks competition down at the Cruise Ship Terminal.

I heard the bar had some action on Wednesday and was sorry I missed it. Sorry I missed you too.

I'll normally be the Monday-Friday lunch time tendress. Stop in again!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Holy Boquerones!!!

Wow! The Amada porkapalooza was quite a success on pretty much every level. Eleven of us got together to try Amada's roast suckling pig, and you didn't really expect us to resist some tapas as well did you?

I'm sure others will chime in, but I honestly thought everything was delicious, there wasn't a single clunker among the many things we tried. The main event, the roast pork, was excellent, but was given some serious competition by the tapas, and even the side dishes.

Details and descriptions to follow, but here are a few things we had. Lighting is pretty dim in the restaurant, making photography a bit of a challenge, and dishes were coming fast and furious, so I didn't get good shots of everything, but I think you can get a sense of the amazing spread we enjoyed...

Red Sangria

gallery_23992_2426_7007.jpg

White Sangria

gallery_23992_2426_7049.jpg

I stuck with the red, and loved it, it's really nice and bright and fresh, the best sangria I've ever had. And despite some other whining around the web, at least to my palate there was NOT too much cinnamon, I thought it was a nice ethereal accent, not an overwhelming presence.

complimentary flatbread with dip

gallery_23992_2426_30519.jpg

Mixed Charcuterie

gallery_23992_2426_80257.jpg

Cheese

gallery_23992_2426_151784.jpg

more cheese...

gallery_23992_2426_8812.jpg

Patatas Bravas

gallery_23992_2426_71848.jpg

Tortilla Espanola

gallery_23992_2426_2428.jpg

Chiparones en su Tinta (Squid in its ink)

gallery_23992_2426_27852.jpg

Piquillos Rellenos (Crab-stuffed Peppers)

gallery_23992_2426_17568.jpg

and sorry, we got eating so fast I couldn't get pictures of

Pulpo Callego (Spanish Octopus)

Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp)

Croquetas de Jamon (Ham Croquettes)

Coca: Pato con Higos (Duck with Figs and Cabrales)

I managed to try most of these, and they really all were delicious. I think I liked the Ham Croquettes and the Octopus the most, but just barely....

Oh, right, we ordered a roasted pig...

gallery_23992_2426_38404.jpg

The pork was just outrageously good, we were each served a good portion of juicy, tender meat, as well as some crispy skin, and we still had this left over...

gallery_23992_2426_45718.jpg

and the pork came with excellent side dishes:

Rosemary White Beans

gallery_23992_2426_57652.jpg

Grilled Green Onions

gallery_23992_2426_44591.jpg

Herb Roasted Fingerling Potatoes

gallery_23992_2426_36379.jpg

Chickpeas with Spinach

sorry...I was busy eating... no pic.

By the time we'd finished with all this, we were seriously stuffed... but we decided to take one for the eGullet team, and in the interest of more complete reportage, we got a couple orders of:

Chocolate Five Ways

gallery_23992_2426_18921.jpg

All of which was really delicious, but we had some savage spoon-fights over the intense, but appropriately small items. We probably could have ordered 11 of these...

And we finished up with a complimentary almond tuille

gallery_23992_2426_43092.jpg

I'm sure some more folks will add details and impressions, but I have to say that I was incredibly impressed, it's pretty rare to get this much food and to like all of it...

So I'll have to concur with the the general drift so far in this topic: Amada has quickly made its way into the ranks of the best restaurants in the city, I'm eager to go back.

Big thanks to Diann for getting this together, it was a great culinary evening, and a social one too. It was great seeing many eG folks again, and meeting some for the first time as well. Hope to see you all again soon!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I had the pleasure of attending porkapalooza, and I think it was one of the best meals I’ve had, not just because of the company, but the food as well. Thanks, Diann for arranging this fun dinner, and thanks philadining for those great pictures. I’m still full, but am having fun reliving the experience.

Since there were eleven of us, we got a good sampling of the tapas, but there was still more than half the menu that we haven’t tried. Oh well. Next time.

I had the red sangria, and tried some of Mr. Duck’s white. The red was much lighter than most sangrias I’ve had, and I didn’t taste much cinnamon either. I loved both, but I preferred the white.

The tapas were sooo tasty, and I don’t know if I could pick a favorite. If I had to, it may be the duck (of course!) and the squid in its own ink. Oh, I also loved the nutella-like sauce that came with one of the cheese plates.

The roast pig may have been the best I’ve ever had. Most roast pigs I’ve eaten are usually dry and need something to give it some taste, and the skin is so shellacked that it is nearly impossible to consume. Not in this case. This little piggie was very tender, juicy, and packed with flavor—and the skin was crisped to perfection. I was almost done when I was passed a mustard that was to go with the pig. But it didn’t need it. This pig stands alone. The sides were also top-notch.

Hail to the pig!! Hail to Amada!!

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I have nothing but praise for this restaurant as well. It's a beautiful space (nicely set up to accommodate large parties and single diners) with a great four or five seat counter where you can sit and watch the chefs making magic.

I AM going to pick out some favorites among the tapas -- the garlic flatbread with tuna dip, the garlic shrimp (can you tell I like garlic?), the squid, the ham croquettes (you MUST try these), and the really lovely cheese plates. The accompaniments (truffled lavender honey, cherry marmalade, balsamic strawberries, etc) really gave all of the cheeses an added dimension. Gives me something to aspire to when I make my own cheese plates.

Let's not forget the pigs (there were two, and among the 11 of us we nearly finished off both of them) -- incredibly succulent and tender. The garlicky mustard accompaniment managed to improve on a good thing, I think. And the sides were fantastic. Who knew grilled scallions were so good?

Thank you to everyone for coming, and bravo to Katie for assembling a really interesting wine/beer/cocktails/etc list -- although we only tried the sangrias, I'm looking forward to a couple of Bad Educations in the future, along with some bacalo croquettes, maybe some anchovies, oh hey, throw in some flatbread while you're at it. All the rave reviews of this place are spot on. Hats off to Jose Garces!

I was fortunate to be among the attendees at the first porkapalooza held in Amada. I said it last night and I say it here, only exceptional restaurants rate 5 pages on E-Gullet. By all accounts, this place will be talked about for many pages to come.

I asked about 3/4 of the way through the meal if anyone had tasted anything they liked yet? Got a lot of laughs because without fail, every single thing my wife and I tried was excellently prepared with loving care.

My faves were the Patatas Bravas, so sublime and interesting. I also loved the texture and taste of the flatbread. The Tortilla Espanola was really tasty too.

Of course the pig itself, star billing and all, did not fail to put smiles on all 11 people's faces. I didn't know that the skin could taste so good. Forget about the mustard, didn't need anything as it was perfect standing alone. It was also cool being right next to the pig carver (I'm sure there's some fancy spanish word for this- I just don't know it) and watching his expert skills at work.

My wife, who was initially hesitant about looking at the poor pigs head enjoyed the sides and tapas more than the pig itself. I don't know maybe it's all those PETA functions she attends (just kidding)

It's not often that after eating so many different things, everyone has the same opinion..everything was great.

One word about the service is in order...perfectly attentive and professional. I'd like to think it was due to getting the right staffing and less a reflection of being a FOK.

Thanks again to Diann for putting this together and I will say the food was only outdone by the great company

Oh yeah, after all the tapas, cheese course, 2 pigs, sides, a few nice desserts and at least 3 pitchers or more of wonderful sangria, $65.00 per person. Not bad!!

Just a quick note about the cost: we actually ended up having 5 pitchers of Sangria, 2 of a few of the tapas, including the mixed charcuterie (probably could have gotten away with one of those, even among 11 of us) and we officially had roast pork for 8, which was no stretch at all to serve 11. We made a good dent in everything, but probably could have ordered a few fewer tapas, maybe even pork for 6, we really had loads of food. The $65 each included tax and service, and I think it was well worth it. Anybody with any self-restraint at all could get out cheaper, but that was not what we were about on sunday night!

Thanks are due Katie for putting in a good word for us, but it was obvious from looking around that we weren't getting extra-special treatment, service seemed quite good all around.

It's a little loud in there, but not as brutal as some places. I'm SO ready to go back...

philadining.com

Sure we could have ordered less food, but I don't think the waiters took away any empty tapas plates. From what I saw, there was only some pig left. And you silly people wanted to go to Capogiro afterwards too :laugh:. Of course, I was game, but fortunately(?) it closes early on Sundays.

I'm ready for Porkapalooza II. Or just going back soon.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

It's true that there were not many plates going back that hadn't been practically licked-clean (I didn't even SEE the duck flatbread, somebody called the duck!) but I'm just saying, if one wanted to just go have a reasonably-sized dinner it wouldn't necessarily get up to $65 per person.

But you'd have to be sure to not go with an eG crowd...

philadining.com

It's true that there were not many plates going back that hadn't been practically licked-clean  (I didn't even SEE the duck flatbread, somebody called the duck!) but I'm just saying, if one wanted to just go have a reasonably-sized dinner it wouldn't necessarily get up to $65 per person.

Sounds like a fanstastic evening. I hate being on the jealous spectator end :angry:

PhilaD, those pics are great.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

It's true that there were not many plates going back that hadn't been practically licked-clean  (I didn't even SEE the duck flatbread, somebody called the duck!) but I'm just saying, if one wanted to just go have a reasonably-sized dinner it wouldn't necessarily get up to $65 per person.

Now who would have called the duck? :rolleyes:

I was thinking that if were just the two of us, Mr. Duck and I probably could have gotten out of the place ordering about five plates between us.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

I was one of the lucky attendees of this dinner and had a wonderful time. Both the company and the variety of food made for a very memorable dining experience. My favorite tapas dish was the squid in its own ink with risotto althought the duck/flat bread and spanish octopus were right up there. I really enjoyed the red sangria as well - very light and fruity! Thanks, Diann, for putting this together. I also thought it was a great deal for $65 to eat and drink as much as we did. I definitely will be going back soon!!

Thanks you guys! Delighted everybody enjoyed everything. The staff thought you all were fun too. They enjoy having a very interested crew asking questions and sending the plates back to the dishroom already cleaned! I heard you all made quite a dent in the piggy. :biggrin:

Sounds like you had a chance to do a reasonably good tour of the menu, but there's still plenty left to try on your future visits. I think the sangria recipe is etched in stone now and the whining about too much cinnamon is over. I'm happy that both the red and white was to folks liking. Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you if you're coming in. We lives to please...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Great pics Philadining. I am suprized you were able to get such clarity without a flash.

Meanwhile, here are a few pics from another angle (and a flash).

GAMBAS AL A JILLO (Garlic Shrimp) - a simple dish, but the shrimp were perfectly cooked and garlic and olive oil are a match made in heaven anyway.

gallery_21049_398_83189.jpg

CHARCUTERIA (mixto) - amazingly thin slices

gallery_21049_398_141606.jpg

Roasted Pig - The star of the evening....apparently this little piggy didn't make it too far

gallery_21049_398_59915.jpg

Have you heard of the cookie monster? Well, this is the piggy monster caught in the act... :raz:

gallery_21049_398_51814.jpg

Ohh that pork and skin were soooo good :wub: !!!

gallery_21049_398_9827.jpg

Dessert

gallery_21049_398_105156.jpg

And the pork-fanatics

gallery_21049_398_114027.jpg

I'll add to the chorus of praises on the food and service.

Thanks to Diann for setting this up and to Katie for hooking us up.

Is there another event planned next week? :rolleyes:

Edited by percyn (log)

I'm with 'ya Holly! Get some Sangria in her and that Cuban blood flowing and watch out! Go Katie! Go Katie!  Are we off topic yet again? :biggrin:

Not if we talk about her dancing with a ham in each arm. :biggrin:

I'd gladly dance with Katie atop the bar. Everyone thinks I'm a ham anyway. :laugh:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Have you heard of the cookie monster? Well, this is the piggy monster caught in the act... :raz:

gallery_21049_398_51814.jpg

I feel as if I have been misrepresented. :laugh: But damn, that pig was good!

Karen C.

I'm with 'ya Holly! Get some Sangria in her and that Cuban blood flowing and watch out! Go Katie! Go Katie!  Are we off topic yet again? :biggrin:

Not if we talk about her dancing with a ham in each arm. :biggrin:

I'd gladly dance with Katie atop the bar. Everyone thinks I'm a ham anyway. :laugh:

There will be no bar dancing! I need to keep my job and we need to stay on topic!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

My wife, who was initially hesitant about looking at the poor pigs head enjoyed the sides and tapas more than the pig itself. I don't know maybe it's all those PETA functions she attends (just kidding)

Yes, know how she feels...I have contemplated joining People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA) too :raz: