• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amada

shacke

I can say with near certainity that Katie was at least 80% responsible for at least 50% of the specialty cocktails.  :-)

Herb is basically correct. I am 100% responsible for the specialty cocktail list as it was when the restaurant opened. (You should see the long list of cocktails that didn't make it to the drink menu!) A couple of drinks have changed since opening to replace ones that weren't selling as well as anticipated. The Lavender-Grape gimlet isn't one of mine, but I've had one and it's quite tasty. It replaced a pineapple infused cachaca sour that I had created. And the Vanilla-Saffron Martini I created has been replaced with a Ginger-Lime martini. I knew that would be a tough sell. Most folks (especially the Old City Club Kids) don't quite get the concept of a savory cocktail. The Lemon-Rosemary Martini replaced my least favorite drink, an electric blue Iced Tea variation that I put on the list as a bow the Old City crowd. I'm kind of happy that one's gone.

So I'm still responsible for about 65% of the cocktails as they stand now. I don't believe the sangria recipes have been tinkered with too much so I think those are still as I left them. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Mmmmm, had two Bad Educations last night (couldn't stop after one); gf had the Matador. Both delicious, Katie. Then on to roast piggie w/friends in the back room. Probably too enthusiatically ordered bacalao fritters, octopus, and empandas to start for our table of ten (hey, it's not like it's all MY money), since the pig + sides prob'ly woulda been enough. It's just that I'm so fricking greedy when it comes to all those great offerings. Finished w/nice dessert flights + a cute little bday cake for the evening's guest of honor. Topped it all off w/the Oloroso, I believe -- dark, port-like? Great service. Love that joint.

Mmmmm, had two Bad Educations last night (couldn't stop after one); gf had the Matador.  Both delicious, Katie.  Then on to roast piggie w/friends in the back room.  Probably too enthusiatically ordered bacalao fritters, octopus, and empandas to start for our table of ten (hey, it's not like it's all MY money), since the pig + sides prob'ly woulda been enough.  It's just that I'm so fricking greedy when it comes to all those great offerings.  Finished w/nice dessert flights + a cute little bday cake for the evening's guest of honor.  Topped it all off w/the Oloroso, I believe -- dark, port-like?  Great service.  Love that joint.

Glad you enjoyed them! Those are two of my favorites. The Bad Education (an Orange Mojito) seems to be the big seller. Everyone likes those. The Matador is a twist on the standard Cosmo with pomegranate, raspberry and lime.

The roast pork for a group is a wonderful way to experience Amada. The sides are plentiful and well matched to the pork and the tableside carving show makes for good entertainment for the foodies.

Which desserts did you try? I'm fond of the Chocolate 5 Ways myself. That little shot glass of hot white chocolate is awesome stuff. Especially on a cold night.

The Oloroso you tried is one of my favorites too. I'd say it's closer to Maple Syrup than port though. I like it paired with the Foie Gras on French Toast tapa. Yummm! 1291.gif

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Pernil Asado you say Katie??? I am so there. Though the $40pp tapas tasting menu sounds like a very good idea, being the carnivore that I am I will probably lean toward getting something along these lines. I think one needs to remember that this is an upscale restaurant with an exceptionally talented chef. It seems that when this combination happens in a French or even Italian restaurant higher prices are readily accepted but when we're talking Spanish some people complain about pricing. We just spent $150 (including tip) at Sovalo and had a slightly above average meal. While I don't happen to have a money tree as well, I am willing to spend that on an excellent meal, which it seems I'll get at Amada. It also seems that a good meal can be had for a reasonable price as well. Either way, I'll be there.

Katie,

I am bringing family and friends on December 26 for Roast Pig. We will be six. I haven't been on the site for a while and booked it without even knowing you were there. Looking forward to some good pig and sides. Also some Manzanilla. Lived for a while very near Sanlucar de Barameda and go back every chance I get.

My wife and I went in last night (in preparation for a birthday Pig Roast right after Christmas).

We had tapas and a glass each of sangria (one white, one red). I felt both sangrias lacked punch and flavor. Both seemed a bit insipid as compared to the Sangria I have made or enjoyed in Spain (perhaps it was the cold evening that put us off it). I went on to have a "Bad Education" which was delicious - congrats to Katie on that one.

The tapas were superb for the most part. Patatas Bravas were excellent mounthfuls of potato with smoked paprika and spicy sauce; Flat Bread with short ribs (a special last night) was also superb. The tortilla espanola was perfectly prepared and served warm - not usually warm in Spain, but delicious with a alioli sauce. The octopus was overly paprika'd but was tender.

I closed out with the chocolate 5 ways, and it should not be shared - delicious.

We sat at the kitchen bar and had a delightful discussion with the pastry chef during our meal.

We are officially looking forward to our return visit.

We drive into town most every weekend from Chestnut Hill area to catch a movie at one of the ritz theaters and a bite afterwards. We noticed Amada a short while back, and have commented on it every time we've passed by on our way to the 2nd street parking garage, but never tried it because we knew nothing about it.

I am so glad to read this thread. It sounds like just our kind of restaurant. And kudos to you, Katie, for helping to bring such a wonderful place to Old City!!

I will report after this weekend when we will probably try it for a small bite and drink thing after our next movie.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

We drive into town most every weekend from Chestnut Hill area to catch a movie at one of the ritz theaters and a bite afterwards. We noticed Amada a short while back, and have commented on it every time we've passed by on our way to the 2nd street parking garage, but never tried it because we knew nothing about it.

I am so glad to read this thread. It sounds like just our kind of restaurant. And kudos to you, Katie, for helping to bring such a wonderful place to Old City!!

I will report after this weekend when we will probably try it for a small bite and drink thing after our next movie.

Eileen

Thanks Eileen! I hope it is to your liking. The food is great. Chef Jose is a perfectionist and the menu is really not like anything else in Philly. Authentic with a forward thinking twist would be my best description. If you like Spanish tapas, or if you just like really good straightforward simple food prepared from the very best ingredients you can't go wrong. I'm certain you'll find something you like on the menu.

Meanwhile, I'm whistle.gif waiting patiently for lunch to start so I can get back behind the bar! I miss seeing the happy smiling faces of the customers...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Philadelphia was featured in the travel section of yesterday's New York Times. Amada was one of the three restaurants mentioned, along with Washington Square and Rouge (pretty good for a restaurant that only opened a few months ago). Congrats, Katie and Chef Jose.

Going to Philadelphia

Ever since we moved to the west side of Broad Street, we haven't been to Old City as often, but even before this article was posted, it's certainly on our list of places we need to visit soon.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Philadelphia was featured in the travel section of yesterday's New York Times.  Amada was one of the three restaurants mentioned, along with Washington Square and Rouge (pretty good for a restaurant that only opened a few months ago). Congrats, Katie and Chef Jose.

Going to Philadelphia

Ever since we moved to the west side of Broad Street, we haven't been to Old City as often, but even before this article was posted, it's certainly on our list of places we need to visit soon.

Karen:

Thanks for posting that link. Good article.

I've worked for two out of their three restaurant picks. :hmmm: Is this town too small or what?

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I don't want to get too far OT in the Amada thread, but isn't Washington Square an odd choice if you're going to name three restaurants on all of Philly? Wouldn't you pick a BYOB, or at least a restaurant a few blocks further away from Amada?

Anyway, congrats to the Amada armada for more good notices!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Sono Motoyama offers her review of Amada in today's Philadelphia Daily News.

Another rave. bigclap.gif

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Wow, good review on a couple of levels. It's nice that she liked the place, but also the overview itself certainly benefitted from two visits, which was not the norm for other reviews.

Sadly that was Sono's last review, she's leaving the Daily News. I wonder if they'll replace her...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Sadly that was Sono's last review, she's leaving the Daily News. I wonder if they'll replace her...

Where do I send my resume?

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Philadelphia was featured in the travel section of yesterday's New York Times.  Amada was one of the three restaurants mentioned, along with Washington Square and Rouge (pretty good for a restaurant that only opened a few months ago). Congrats, Katie and Chef Jose.

Going to Philadelphia

Pardon me for commenting on the travel piece here, but:

I'm impressed--it touches a lot of bases, including one that I was surprised to see, namely, its quick tour of the Gayborhood. Though why the writer would mention an outdoor deck in December eludes me. (Not to mention that the deck is closed in the winter, though the third-floor indoor bar at 12th Air Command is open year round.)

We used to rent an apartment from the owner of the Alexander Inn. He's a great landlord and a benefactor to lots of gay community institutions--including paying off the mortgage on the William Way Community Center.

(Which leads me to wonder: Is the writer "family"?)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Where do I send my resume?

If I weren't contributing to the CityPaper's built-environment column while angling to get hired at Widener University, I'd have said, "The line forms at me."

:raz::wink:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I have eaten at Amada twice now. I think both experiences were close to perfect. The first time, there was a little snafu and it was dealt with prompty and professionally, unlike I have encountered in most other establishments.

As for the authenticity...I have been to Spain many times (to the point of having the Parte Viejo in Donosita memorized) and the food at Amada is so close to what I had there in the bars. It is, however, much more expensive here, but the reasons for that should be obvious and have to some extent already been discussed here. For instance, if the wine costs $9 by the glass at Amada and $7 by the bottle in NJ, what do you think the price of the same bottle of Rioja is in San Sebastian? I think I was paying 1 Euro a glass when I was there for 3 oz.

I can't wait to go back. I still haven't had half the menu.

Matt Kantor

Cook at Large (but getting thinner)

Haddonfield, NJ at present

e: mattkantor{at}pobox.com

• 2 weeks later...

What comes after Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and New Year's? Why, Porkapalooza, of course!

If you're interested in trying that whole roasted suckling pig at Amada sometime in the next few weeks, PM me. I am vague on dates at the moment, but almost any day between January 12th and 27th will work.

Edited: Here's a link to the pig's press release.

Edited by Diann (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I ate at Amada with my hubby and 4 friends a little over a week ago. They lost our reservation, which was disconcerting, but they made everything right, and we enjoyed the dinner immensely. Fortunately, one guy in our party was intimately familiar with Spanish foods, and he did the ordering for us. Everything was exceptional. We enjoyed 10 different dishes, all shared, plus the sous vide beef (also shared), and four desserts (yes, of course, shared). Lots of wines by the glass and a few beers. Came to 140 per couple. Worth every cent.

On the cheese plate they paired the goat cheese with a deep dark chocolate ganache enhanced with ground hazelnuts. It was a match made in heaven.

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

My husband and I have had the pleasure of dining at Amada recently as well. I lived in Valencia, Spain for a year during college and have been DYING for some great Spanish food in Philly. It took 12 years but my prayers were finally answered! When I saw a tortilla espanola on the tapas menu I may have actually became teary eyed. Yes, I am passionate about my Spanish food. We had a bunch of tapas too many to name and I was in bliss. Then we had the paella valenciana because I had too....we ate a good portion of it to our waiters surprise. Our server was great, for the life of me I can't remember his name but I hope to see him again. We had a nice bottle of Tempranillo and a very enjoyable evening. Can't wait to go back! Would love to drink some Folie a deux there Katy, sorry I had to say it. :wink:

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

Cherie and Eileen:

I'm so glad you both enjoyed your Amada experiences. This post also gives me the opportunity to let everyone know that Amada is now open for LUNCH! Yes folks, you can come and have some great Amada grub for lunch now Monday-Friday. We serve from 11:30AM-2:30PM and I will be cheerfully tending bar and would be happy to pair up some wine for you if you'd like. There's the $12.50 "Catalan Express Lunch" which is your choice of one of two soups (Caldo Gallego or Zarzuela de Mariscos) and your choice of one of four salads (Tuna, Chicken & Romaine, Ensalda Verde or Serrano Ham & Fig) or one of four Sandwiches (Vegetarian, Steak, Chicken or Serrano Ham and Chorizo). All these items are also available a la carte as well as an a la carte selection of many of our most popular tapas and charcuterie items.

It's been pretty quiet this week so I'm looking forward to seeing some of you stopping in to keep me company!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!