• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amada

shacke

As I was walking to Amada last night to have a post movie dinner with my wife, I thought of a problem. If it sucked, how can I consciously as a F.O.K. (friend of Katie) spew praise on the forum about a restaurant that I didnt like? I decided I would keep mum.

No need, amigos. No need.

First off, the restaurant has been open for a week and was packed. Luckily we got a high table next to the bar for two.

The place is "hip" and a tad loud but not overbearingly so. The layout is really trendy and I love that is the kitchen is exposed to the diners but not in your face.

The menu was really extensive and we didn't get to choose everything we really wanted because of gastric space issues.

We decided on a big pitcher of red Sangria ($28 - $6 per glass). Kudos to Katie, there is a huge choice of wines by the glass - spanish heavy of course. The cocktails looked ultra cool.

There is a "chefs choice tapas" which is $40 per person and includes 10 of the tapas from the menu. There is a charcuterie section on the menu which we passed on this time. Other than some paella/steak options, the menu is tapas of various sorts - sorted by veggie, meat, grilled, etc.

We chose to have a few tapas and a paella valenciana. The paella was pricey ($38) but huge. The lobster one was a steep $75. I will let you all decide for yourselves but while the paella was "ok", it was not the best I have had nor the star of the menu IMHO. You may want to stick with an all tapas experience.

The tapas is totally where its at. It's fun and delicious. We had no losers. We ordered the octopus, grilled I think, with smoked paprika - excellent and not chewy. We had empanadas filled with spinach,manchego and artichoke. Great. The best thing we had (dont miss) was the fried baby anchovies. Sure its bait fellas, but it's deep fried bait with a cute little fried egg on top. Terrific. We also had a flatbread topped with shrimp, tomato, parlsey and sausage (Can't remember the name of the dish). There is a flatbread tapas section. My wife did not love this but I thought it was very good.

For dessert, we went with the banana y azafran - a dense chocolate torte topped by carmelized bananas and a creme anglaise - there was safron in there somewhere - I saw the tell tale color. Outstanding.

The service was friendly and quick but not rushed. We asked if the chef's tapas is off the menu stuff but she said not so we decided when we go back we will go with more tapas.

Total bill was $150 for 2, including tip. I think the chefs choice is a good bargain and a great bet. Next time that is what I will do.

Time for fiesta.

Evan

Edited by shacke (log)

Dough can sense fear.

I second this review. Amada is incredible. The food is perfect.

Every item exceeded my expectations.

I'm going to repeat that. Every item exceeded my expectations!

The design is awesome. It took me back to being in Spain. I think I'm going to Amada again tonight and I don't care that two visits in one week will cost my entire food budget for the week.

--Alec

:blush: Thanks gentlemen. I'm so glad you both enjoyed it. I certainly enjoyed working with the management and staff at Amada putting together the wine list, the specialty cocktails and sangrias and helping to train the staff so that the service would be well informed. Jose is a perfectionist who made me work very hard, but the end result was definitely worth it. I hope that the beverage program is a worthy compliment to the wonderful food and service that the restaurant offers. It's a pleasure to be associated with it.

No one has tried the charcuterie yet and that may be one of my favorite aspects of the restaurant. Freshly sliced to order authentic Spanish cured meats and cheeses with fantastic house made garnishes to accompany the cheese. The fresh Queso de Cabra is a young soft spreadable goat's milk cheese that's just awesome with Roasted Garlic Dulce de Leche spread along with it. So simple, yet so delicious. I suspect the charcuterie will become a popular spot for the equivalent of a Spanish "Ploughman's lunch" as soon as word gets around that you can have some Serrano ham sliced to order with baguette and a short caña of beer. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Wanting to see if Amada is open for lunch I did a search on Citysearch.  Got the message back, "We assume you were searching for Ramada."  Oh well.

So is Amada open for lunch?  If so, what days?

Not yet Holly. Some time in November is the target date. I'll post as soon as I hear anything.

Hopefully you'll see me behind the bar at lunchtime!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

All the reviews I have read (from here and that "other" board) have said the same things, that Amada is awesome. FINALLY, a real Spanish restaurant in Philly! I saw a piece on the news about the Flamenco dancing on Wednesday and Friday evenings at 8pm and now there is even more reason for us to go. Looking forward to getting there ASAP and I am thrilled for you Katie that you are working there. :biggrin:

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Katie said

Hopefully you'll see me behind the bar at lunchtime!

davidbdesolva wrote:

I saw a piece on the news about the Flamenco dancing on Wednesday and Friday evenings at 8pm

I'm thinking Katie on top of the bar dancing Flamenco. :shock::smile:

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I'm with 'ya Holly! Get some Sangria in her and that Cuban blood flowing and watch out! Go Katie! Go Katie!  Are we off topic yet again? :biggrin:

Not if we talk about her dancing with a ham in each arm. :biggrin:

Dough can sense fear.

Damn.

60 bucks a person for tapas.

These better be spectacular tapas.

I suspect if you walk in any restaurant with that attitude, you'll be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

All the reviews I have read (from here and that "other" board) have said the same things, that Amada is awesome. FINALLY, a real Spanish restaurant in Philly! I saw a piece on the news about the Flamenco dancing on Wednesday and Friday evenings at 8pm and now there is even more reason for us to go. Looking forward to getting there ASAP and I am thrilled for you Katie that you are working there.  :biggrin:

David:

There's Pernil Asado calling your name, my friend... :smile:

I'm thinking Katie on top of the bar dancing Flamenco.

...dancing with a ham in each arm.

<Ahem> OK there's a vision I'm pretty sure no one is quite ready for, least of all me! And anyway, I'd probably bump my head on the hams hanging from the ceiling if I were to Flamenco on the bar.

That's enough of that... :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

whoa, i didn't realize it was gonna be so upscale, either. i don't know why; thinking back on everything i'd heard would indicate that it was.

i guess my dreams of dropping in relatively frequently for a few little things here and there will have to be replaced by dreams of setting aside a little cash, having an all-out spanish gorge-fest, and then saving up to do it again later.

i think i can handle that...

whoa, i didn't realize it was gonna be so upscale, either.  i don't know why; thinking back on everything i'd heard would indicate that it was. 

i guess my dreams of dropping in relatively frequently for a few little things here and there will have to be replaced by dreams of setting aside a little cash, having an all-out spanish gorge-fest, and then saving up to do it again later.

The $40 tapas tasting sounds doable, if it survives. Just hope I'm able to keep the wines under $20....

whoa, i didn't realize it was gonna be so upscale, either.  i don't know why; thinking back on everything i'd heard would indicate that it was. 

The $40 tapas tasting sounds doable, if it survives. Just hope I'm able to keep the wines under $20....

The $40 tapas tasting menu will undoubtedly survive. It's definitely something that the kitchen staff takes pride in and considers a major focus and value added attraction for the guests. The menus will change periodically as well.

As for keeping the wine under $20, sangrias are $28/pitcher for approximately 5 glasses. The forty bottle list is ALL available by the glass and ranges from $6-20/glass with plenty of selections under $12. :cool: And of course if you have any questions about the wine list, all you have to do is ask. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I'll wait to make a judgement on the pricing until I visit, but based on Evan's initial report, while it may be pricey it doesn't seem outrageous, at least as far as the chef's choice tapas goes.

For $80 two diners share 10 different tapas. With a glass of manzanilla each and tip, the tab will probably come to about $120. That's on a par with what I spent a few weeks ago when I dined on a meal composed of appetizers (duck leg confit, mustard shrimp, johnnycakes with lobster), green salad, dessert and a single glass of domestic bubbly at one of Bar Harbor's best restaurants, where the tab came to $62 (including tip) for one person. I would expect to spend that per person for a meal of tapas with a drink.

Of course, keep in mind that tapas essentially bar food. It's simply sitting on a small plate to keep the flies out of your glass of sherry.

Now, Katie, what about the sherries? How many different finos and manzanillas and olorossos do you boast?

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I'll wait to make a judgement on the pricing until I visit, but based on Evan's initial report, while it may be pricey it doesn't seem outrageous, at least as far as the chef's choice tapas goes.

For $80 two diners share 10 different tapas. With a glass of manzanilla each and tip, the tab will probably come to about $120. That's on a par with what I spent a few weeks ago when I dined on a meal composed of appetizers (duck leg confit, mustard shrimp, johnnycakes with lobster), green salad, dessert and a single glass of domestic bubbly at one of Bar Harbor's best restaurants, where the tab came to $62 (including tip) for one person. I would expect to spend that per person for a meal of tapas with a drink.

Of course, keep in mind that tapas essentially bar food. It's simply sitting on a small plate to keep the flies out of your glass of sherry.

Now, Katie, what about the sherries? How many different finos and manzanillas and olorossos do you boast?

For the moment one each of Fino, Manzanilla, Amontillado, Oloroso and Pedro Ximenez. Priced at either $7 or $8/glass for a 3 oz. pour. Flight of any three of your choosing for $21. Smaller pour flights in the near future.

My personal preference are for the Amontillado, Oloroso and Pedro Ximenez. The really dry styles aren't my personal favorite and although Alvear and Domecq are both good producers, they aren't my cup of tea. Or sherry. :raz:

The Osborne Pedro Ximenez is my personal money shot pairing with the Foie Gras a la Plancha tapa. The foie is quick seared on the plancha and then served on brioche French toast. The sweet sherry is like the maple syrup it needs to go with it. Stunningly delicious. Possibly the best pairing of any beverage and any tapa on the respective menus.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Damn.

60 bucks a person for tapas.

These better be spectacular tapas.

I suspect if you walk in any restaurant with that attitude, you'll be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Money doesn't grow on trees for me.

Thank you for the insightful comment however.

Nor is there a money tree in my yard. I often wish there were however, no luck so far. But I realize that the menu prices in any establishment are what they are and either I don't go if I can't afford it (e.g Le Bec Fin or Morimoto) or only go for "special occasions" (Brunch at LaCroix or the Four Seasons) if that's what it comes down to. But I walk in expecting a pleasant overall experience and consider the ambiance, originality of the cuisine and service as part of the package. I do try not to be negative before I've even crossed the doorstep. That's all I was implying with my "insight".

Not everyone has to order 10 plates per person. I suspect you'd be surprised by the number of items on the menu at Amada that might be more in your price range. A meal constructed of a Tortilla Espanola, a serving of sliced to order Serrano ham with bread and accoutrements and a fine draught beer or glass of sangria would probably run you about $20 (before tip) and be quite satifying as well as a mini vacation to an authentic Spanish tapas experience as you might have in Barcelona or Madrid. You ought to give the menu a look and see if you could cobble together a very pleasant meal for yourself within your budgetary guidelines. I believe it's totally possible if you're willing to approach with an open mind (and slightly open wallet!) :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Not everyone has to order 10 plates per person.  I suspect you'd be surprised by the number of items on the menu at Amada that might be more in your price range.  A meal constructed of a Tortilla Espanola, a serving of sliced to order Serrano ham with bread and accoutrements and a fine draught beer or glass of sangria would probably run you about $20 (before tip)

hm, maybe i CAN go there all the time.

where is it again?

Not everyone has to order 10 plates per person.  I suspect you'd be surprised by the number of items on the menu at Amada that might be more in your price range.  A meal constructed of a Tortilla Espanola, a serving of sliced to order Serrano ham with bread and accoutrements and a fine draught beer or glass of sangria would probably run you about $20 (before tip)

hm, maybe i CAN go there all the time.

where is it again?

217 Chestnut, in the space formerly occupied by Adriatica. Previous to that it was the Textile Commission, the oldest industrial textile company in the US, where I was once the Director of Marketing, and where the Dangerous Dining Club was started in 1988.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Pernil Asado you say Katie??? I am so there. Though the $40pp tapas tasting menu sounds like a very good idea, being the carnivore that I am I will probably lean toward getting something along these lines. I think one needs to remember that this is an upscale restaurant with an exceptionally talented chef. It seems that when this combination happens in a French or even Italian restaurant higher prices are readily accepted but when we're talking Spanish some people complain about pricing. We just spent $150 (including tip) at Sovalo and had a slightly above average meal. While I don't happen to have a money tree as well, I am willing to spend that on an excellent meal, which it seems I'll get at Amada. It also seems that a good meal can be had for a reasonable price as well. Either way, I'll be there.

Edited by davidbdesilva (log)

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Pernil Asado you say Katie??? I am so there. Though the $40pp tapas tasting menu sounds like a very good idea, being the carnivore that I am I will probably lean toward getting something along these lines. I think one needs to remember that this is an upscale restaurant with an exceptionally talented chef. It seems that when this combination happens in a French or even Italian restaurant higher prices are readily accepted but when we're talking Spanish some people complain about pricing. We just spent $150 (including tip) at Sovalo and had a slightly above average meal. While I don't happen to have a money tree as well, I am willing to spend that on an excellent meal, which it seems I'll get at Amada. It also seems that a good meal can be had for a reasonable price as well. Either way, I'll be there.

David:

There's a Pernil Asado in the Carnes section of the menu that comes atop a white bean stew, a well as a roast suckling pig for 4 or more that is carved tableside and comes with several side dishes. The roast piglet has to be ordered in advance, but it is delicious as well. Works out to about $32/person but as I mentioned, it comes with roasted potatoes, white beans and spinach and garbanzo sides. Definitely a good deal for a full meal. There's a very cute statue of a pig right inside the doorway of the restaurant that is an hommage to the importance of pork in Spanish cuisine. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!